Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads - 08 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 PM
amack
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Brake Pads - 08 Cayman

Anyone have any clear-to-follow instructions on how to do this ?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 AM
KS-CS
Racer

It's easy-peasy: DIY article on P-9
OR

(Of course, I didn't deal with the wear sensors in the video)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
JRow
4th Gear

Hello KS-CS,

Do you have any advice or videos on how to replace the sensors as well?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The best thing to do with the sensors is to trash them. They are useless if you pay any attention to your brakes. The sensors go to a white terminal block attached to the wheel upright. Cut the wire off about 6" from the terminal block. Strip the ends of the wire and twist them together. Run a wire nut on and tie-wrap them to someplace nearby. If you ever track the car and get after market performance pads, they won't accommodate the sensors.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 PM
JRow
4th Gear

Thanks, Bill. I am probably going to sell my Cayman S in the near-ish future, so I was thinking it would be the right thing to do to replace them for the next owner. Are they pretty easy to swap if I decide to do that?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only time you need the replace the sensors is if you let the pads wear down low enough to trigger the dash light.

The sensors should be straight forward, unplug the old and plug in the new.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I would agree with the others. Don't bother with the sensors unless you triggered the light, no sense in changing them. Otherwise it think its plug and play and few dollars for each sensor.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
The sensors should be straight forward, unplug the old and plug in the new.
Originally Posted by ChrisFL
Otherwise it think its plug and play and few dollars for each sensor.
The dash light goes on when the sensor for at least 1 wheel is ground down enough to break the circuit rendering that sensor useless. The sensors are not designed to be re-used even when not tripped. The material for the plug that goes into the pad is quite fragile and easy to damage during removal. So don't bet the farm on unplugging and reusing them. New sensors are $67 each wheel (front) and $44 each wheel (rear) from an online discount dealer + shipping.

I've not had brake wear sensors since shortly after buying my CS, but for those who aren't diligent about checking pads, they are an important safety device.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
JRow
4th Gear

Thanks, All. The dash light was triggered, so I had them checked. The front triggered light, but the rear is not far behind, wear-wise. Probably will just change out the front and leave the rear alone.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
The dash light goes on when the sensor for at least 1 wheel is ground down enough to break the circuit rendering that sensor useless. The sensors are not designed to be re-used even when not tripped. The material for the plug that goes into the pad is quite fragile and easy to damage during removal. So don't bet the farm on unplugging and reusing them. New sensors are $67 each wheel (front) and $44 each wheel (rear) from an online discount dealer + shipping.

I've not had brake wear sensors since shortly after buying my CS, but for those who aren't diligent about checking pads, they are an important safety device.
Not sure where you get your stuff from, but if you get it from pelican, the fronts are ~$13 each and the rears are ~$11 (For Cayman S, regular caymans are even cheaper). usually free ground shipping...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If you choose to do the pads/sensors yourself, you may find front & rear pad selections here (bottom of page) and sensors here.

If you sell the S, what are you considering for a replacement? The S is such a great Porsche, I bet you've enjoyed it!

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
Not sure where you get your stuff from, but if you get it from pelican, the fronts are ~$13 each and the rears are ~$11 (For Cayman S, regular caymans are even cheaper). usually free ground shipping...
I wasn't doing a price comparison. The prices I posted were for oem Porsche parts from (as stated), a "dealer," specifically Suncoast. As I also posted, I don't use brake wear sensors, so my cost for them is zero.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

If I bought a car from someone who had bypassed the brake sensors I would be angry with the seller and consider him/her incompetent/negligent. On your own car you can do anything you want within the law, but if you sell, you should deliver a car with the expected features operational or identify that you have bypassed them. And, yes, I've bought cars where the sensors were bypassed and I promptly reinstalled operating sensors. It is cheap insurance.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM
JRow
4th Gear

Ended up changing the pads on all four, and replaced the sensors on the front. The dash light is gone! Changing the sensors was really cheap and easy. The total cost for pads and sensors was about $265.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Cayman S, but I need something bigger to accommodate family, dogs, etc. Maybe a new Porsche Macan????
Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dash light will first get triggered by excess pedal movement.

The dash light will trigger before the sensor wire is broken, I have had this happen, I got a brake warning light.... replaced the pads and reused the sensors. No problems, no dash lights and no need to buy new sensors.

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads - 08 Cayman