Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed B&M short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:27 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Installed B&M short shifter

A guy on this website sold me his B&M shifter earlier in the year for $50. It was a steal! He had it in his boxster, and didn't like the feel.

Installed it this morning. Was fairly easy. The only problem was that after I installed it, and put the console back in, I noticed that something in the shifter was actually hitting - metal against metal - when going into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. This occurred when installing the cables in the same positions as removed from the stock shifter. I had to pull the right cable towards the rear of the car, and now it shifts fine.

I will say that I didn't bother removing the B&M shifter from the 996 housing that it was on. Just applied more grease to the pivot points. I don't know if that is part of the reason for the necessary adjustment. It looked like the housings were the same dimensions. There's just a spot under the parking brake lever, where you pop off a panel, and can put screw down the console to the shift housing. You can't screw it down using the 996 housing, but the console isn't going anywhere as it is. It's held down plenty at the front and back of the console.

Shifter definitely feels shorter. A lot like the short shift kit in my old E36 M3.

I highly recommend it if you have a stock shifter in your cayman.
Attached Images      
Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks like a decent amount of work... how long did that take you?

Quick Reply: Installed B&M short shifter