Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As mentioned, it's a big performance hit between the 911 and Cayman, but when I had my base Cayman (987.1), I could actually use ALL the power often. In my 911s, I had to really pick and choose when to make it "loud". The back seats in my 911 were only used when my wife and I drove cross-country and we put some luggage back there. Otherwise they stayed folded flat (the better to show off my sport buckets!).

Obviously, Porsche cut some corners between the 911 and the Boxster/Cayman, but if you put decent options back in, it's not very noticeable. This is why options are crucial if you're spending big money on a Cayman....
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you set your mind because yes for some 93k to spend on a car ain't much but even if it isn't when it isn't the car you want then it bums you out.... Take both out try them out and for 93k for a cayman is a heavily loaded one compare it to a 911 heavily optioned you will definitely see a huge chuck of change difference

When you do decide post some pixz when you get delivery

Also where in the states you planning of purchasing it??
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Well if your in NY come out of the city and try long island dealers personally I go to Porsche of Roslyn ((no affiliation)) but streets less packed then the city
Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
As mentioned, it's a big performance hit between the 911 and Cayman, but when I had my base Cayman (987.1), I could actually use ALL the power often. In my 911s, I had to really pick and choose when to make it "loud". The back seats in my 911 were only used when my wife and I drove cross-country and we put some luggage back there. Otherwise they stayed folded flat (the better to show off my sport buckets!).

Obviously, Porsche cut some corners between the 911 and the Boxster/Cayman, but if you put decent options back in, it's not very noticeable. This is why options are crucial if you're spending big money on a Cayman....
A drive cross country, nice! I just recently did one and had absolutely the time of my life. I plan on doing the same with whatever Porsche I end up with

Was the picking and choosing in the 911 a highlight or lowlight? Seems like it could be fun! Rather then being able to hit the top end, but knowing that you had so much power at your toes.

Originally Posted by Donaldx3
Before you set your mind because yes for some 93k to spend on a car ain't much but even if it isn't when it isn't the car you want then it bums you out.... Take both out try them out and for 93k for a cayman is a heavily loaded one compare it to a 911 heavily optioned you will definitely see a huge chuck of change difference

When you do decide post some pixz when you get delivery

Also where in the states you planning of purchasing it??
I will absolutely post pics when I chose! I have another set of drives lined up for this Saturday, hopefully I'll be able to get a better sense as to which one suits me then. I'm purchasing in NY.

Well if your in NY come out of the city and try long island dealers personally I go to Porsche of Roslyn ((no affiliation)) but streets less packed then the city
I am indeed in NYC! I've been having a great experience thus far with Rob LeBron at Porsche of Manhattan (Manhattan Motorcars). He's been very patient with my loads of questions, and always treated me as a serious customer despite other factors which may have suggested otherwise. The less packed streets would be nice though!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

That's good they know how to treat people well good luck with your search
Old 02-12-2014, 01:13 AM
First Timer
2nd Gear

Not crazy! With all due respect for the icon, I think the 981 is better looking, more fun to drive and just flat out more desirable. But, leaving aside the debate over 911 vs. 981 Cayman, I'll give you some thoughts based on 5 months of owning my 981 CS.

First, I totally agree that unless you are a serious audiophile the Burmeister is unnecessary. The 981 is not the quietest cabin and that's part of the joy (in my opinion). Having that engine right behind your head means you hear and feel it and when I've got music going it's pretty cranked. I just don't think it's the environment for the highest end stereo. Save that for the S class Mercedes.

Second, I'd question the parking assist and electric mirrors. Maybe I'm just a douche but I never parallel park mine for fear of getting dinged, and I AM that annoying guy who will drive to the edge of the parking lot to get an "end" space where I can squeeze against one side and make extra room between my car and the next one over. Even though it's my DD, I just don't park anywhere where I'm so close to someone I need to worry about retracting my mirrors! I would get zero value out of those options.

Third, are you sure you need the phone module? I thought I needed it for Bluetooth but you don't. You only need it if you want to take the SIM card out of your phone and use it in the car for a bunch of other features that I didn't even understand. Without the phone module I have integrated Bluetooth and get my text messages on the PCM and so on. Again, you may have other needs or be more of a techie than I am, but I was happy when my dealer explained I was wasting money on the phone module.

Hope that helps! FWIW, my car was $87K including sales tax, license and delivery. I got Basalt Black Metallic, 20 inch Carrera wheels, the vectoring and suspension mgmt, manual transmission, 14 way sport seats, etc. I get tons of compliments on the car and am absolutely thrilled with it.

As other replies have said, you can get a faster and more powerful car for less money but the reality is that unless you track it, live in a very rural area or have a very high tolerance for tickets/trouble you can barely open it up as it is under normal driving conditions. To me it's the combination of the beauty, the industrial design, the precision engineering and the sheer joy of driving it that make it worth every penny. I out grew power launching off the line about 25 years ago, and top speed is utterly meaningless (I'd wet myself before I got anywhere close to 175). In all normal driving - going 20-80 on a merge, hitting a 25 mph off ramp at 55 mph, hammering a twisty road, etc. etc. it's more than enough power and torque (again, in my opinion).

I LOVE this car.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ ^ ^ +1

I think the OP needs to drive both cars and see which really makes him smile, but I agree completely with your assessment.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Buy a used GT3 and never have to second guess your purchase.
+1

Every time I intend on buying and holding forever, I find myself selling in 3-4 years and upgrading.

Nothing special about a $93k Cayman that will preserve its value. Gt3 would be a much better investment.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CTK

Nothing special about a $93k Cayman that will preserve its value. Gt3 would be a much better investment.
GT3 may be a better investment and is certainly an incredible track car, but wouldn't suit my needs in the least bit and looks like it was designed by a kid with too much testosterone. My 12 year old son loves the wings of the GT3 RS near us. Looks like a rice-racer got ahold of a 997 to me. He also complained when I took the turbo S wing off the 993 c4s when I bought that car.

911s are a blast to drive and iconic, but they got the motor in the wrong place and, IMHO, look dated. Feel honored to owned them, but glad I got it out of my system, too. And 99.9% of us will never use a 911 in a manner that you can take advantage of the extra performance over a 981. So, why not get the better designed, better looking car if it has all the performance you will actually use and it looks better and is cheaper?

GT3 better investment? Sure. So is my Starbucks stock. So is my house. In fact, my S&P 500 fund is doing pretty good right now. But cars, those are to be driven.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CTK
+1

Every time I intend on buying and holding forever, I find myself selling in 3-4 years and upgrading.

GT3 is a great car, but unless you are buying a GT3 RS 4.0, I'm not sure I'd call most modern Porsche's an investment. Not to mention, unless your roads are perfect, I'm not sure I'd choose a GT3 for a DD. If investment is a concern, the OP should get a vintage air cooled 911, and then again not really a DD.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

That's good they know how to treat people well good luck with your search
Thanks! They're great

Originally Posted by First Timer
Not crazy! With all due respect for the icon, I think the 981 is better looking, more fun to drive and just flat out more desirable. But, leaving aside the debate over 911 vs. 981 Cayman, I'll give you some thoughts based on 5 months of owning my 981 CS.

First, I totally agree that unless you are a serious audiophile the Burmeister is unnecessary. The 981 is not the quietest cabin and that's part of the joy (in my opinion). Having that engine right behind your head means you hear and feel it and when I've got music going it's pretty cranked. I just don't think it's the environment for the highest end stereo. Save that for the S class Mercedes.

Second, I'd question the parking assist and electric mirrors. Maybe I'm just a douche but I never parallel park mine for fear of getting dinged, and I AM that annoying guy who will drive to the edge of the parking lot to get an "end" space where I can squeeze against one side and make extra room between my car and the next one over. Even though it's my DD, I just don't park anywhere where I'm so close to someone I need to worry about retracting my mirrors! I would get zero value out of those options.

Third, are you sure you need the phone module? I thought I needed it for Bluetooth but you don't. You only need it if you want to take the SIM card out of your phone and use it in the car for a bunch of other features that I didn't even understand. Without the phone module I have integrated Bluetooth and get my text messages on the PCM and so on. Again, you may have other needs or be more of a techie than I am, but I was happy when my dealer explained I was wasting money on the phone module.

Hope that helps! FWIW, my car was $87K including sales tax, license and delivery. I got Basalt Black Metallic, 20 inch Carrera wheels, the vectoring and suspension mgmt, manual transmission, 14 way sport seats, etc. I get tons of compliments on the car and am absolutely thrilled with it.

As other replies have said, you can get a faster and more powerful car for less money but the reality is that unless you track it, live in a very rural area or have a very high tolerance for tickets/trouble you can barely open it up as it is under normal driving conditions. To me it's the combination of the beauty, the industrial design, the precision engineering and the sheer joy of driving it that make it worth every penny. I out grew power launching off the line about 25 years ago, and top speed is utterly meaningless (I'd wet myself before I got anywhere close to 175). In all normal driving - going 20-80 on a merge, hitting a 25 mph off ramp at 55 mph, hammering a twisty road, etc. etc. it's more than enough power and torque (again, in my opinion).

I LOVE this car.
Great little write up there, you've managed to bring me around to the Cayman S after I thought I was sold on the Carrera 4S...damn you!

Also, you are indeed right about the telephone module, as other have pointed out it is unnecessary. Burmester I suppose I could skip on, in reality they would be off most of the time.

Congratulations on your car too, for $87k it must be a great build!

Originally Posted by inkatouring
GT3 may be a better investment and is certainly an incredible track car, but wouldn't suit my needs in the least bit and looks like it was designed by a kid with too much testosterone. My 12 year old son loves the wings of the GT3 RS near us. Looks like a rice-racer got ahold of a 997 to me. He also complained when I took the turbo S wing off the 993 c4s when I bought that car.

911s are a blast to drive and iconic, but they got the motor in the wrong place and, IMHO, look dated. Feel honored to owned them, but glad I got it out of my system, too. And 99.9% of us will never use a 911 in a manner that you can take advantage of the extra performance over a 981. So, why not get the better designed, better looking car if it has all the performance you will actually use and it looks better and is cheaper?

GT3 better investment? Sure. So is my Starbucks stock. So is my house. In fact, my S&P 500 fund is doing pretty good right now. But cars, those are to be driven.
Some great points, thanks. In terms of driving quality I believe I am indeed leaning 981. We'll know better this weekend after I take 'em both out for another spin
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
simon85
Intermediate

I believe it's better to buy a car that you'll be able to drive at 80-90% of it's limit and control it very well. Most peoples who buy 458, gt3 or anything in this league are average drivers who can't get more than 50% of it's full potential. It takes lots of skills and experiences to be able to enjoy a 450hp+ cars on track.

I'm saying that because I'm reading posts about ex-cayman S owners who made the switch to a gt3 (991 and 997) and most are not as comfortable as before on the track and curves, even after a while.

Personally, I would wait until I'm very good with a 300-350hp cars before I jump into 450+. I could afford a 991 gt3, but I realized I need more skills and chose a 981 cayman S. I had 400whp+ cars before and I couldnt handle it as well as a cayman S. Such a fun and easy car to drive!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Default 981 or 991???

You are doing the right thing now, agonizing over the choice and getting the car you like rather than what you think you would like. A lot of good advise has been offered so I don't have much to add other than have you considered CPO 2014 or 2013 991's and 981's? There are a LOT of them out there. That fact alone should make you think very carefully.

Enjoy the search and remember, you are fortunate to have such a dilemma. Comparatively, not many folks do...

Be safe and do post when you find your car.
Patty
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

I would not want to keep a Cayman forever. Buy a used GT3.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 AM
hs63gt3
Instructor

you made a right decision.

I ordered cayman S a month ago, and I'm telling you waiting is painful.

my estimated delivery is at the end of May.

mine's 92k w/4.5% discount, so dont you ever think you're crazy because I'm not. =)

gt3 is a great sport car but you cant say it is better than CS.

I have 2010 gt3 and I'm lovin it.

I ordered CS because I need alternative for my gt3.

I'm DDing my gt3, and I know it sounds crazy but believe me I have zero issue

for DDing gt3.

reason why I'm saying this, is that some people say GT3 is a better investment(?), but I dont think that way.

if you are going to daily drive whatever you buy, then buying CS is better choice over buying used gt3.

better looking(personal), more balanced, enough power on the road, updated, better efficiency, cheaper and etc.

congrats on your purchase, hope both of us enjoy our new ride!!

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy?