Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Porsche Boxsters and Caymans Will Get More Punch From Fewer Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Future Porsche Boxsters and Caymans Will Get More Punch From Fewer Cylinders

Porsche will now differentiate the Boxster/Cayman engine from the flat-six 911.
Back to the 356/912 flat 4 ... http://blog.caranddriver.com/future-...wer-cylinders/

Future Porsche Boxsters and Caymans Will Get More Punch From Fewer Cylinders
March 21, 2014 by Steve Siler

In the future, Caymans like this and sister-model Boxsters will be available with four-cylinders.

Porsche’s engine downsizing strategy will bring a four-cylinder boxer engine to the next generation of its junior sports-car lineup, the Boxster and the Cayman. So said the man at the top of Porsche, Matthias Müller, to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport magazine in an article published yesterday. Following in Porsche’s tradition of horizontally opposed engines, the new mill will really put the “bang” in “four-banger.” Making up to 395 horsepower, according to the report, the four-cylinder will produce well more power than the naturally aspirated 2.7-liter and 3.4-liter engines in today’s Boxster and Cayman models, the most powerful of which (in the just-announced Cayman GTS) produces 340 horses.

“We will continue with the downsizing strategy and develop a new four-cylinder boxer engine, which will see service in the next-generation Boxster and Cayman,” Müller told the magazine. “We will not separate ourselves from efforts to reduce CO2.”

We reported on Porsche’s four-cylinder inklings last year as rumblings about the engine became audible on the internet. At that point, we estimated that power output could range from 250 horses from a naturally aspirated version to more than 350 for a turbo, and reminded our readers that Porsche has a long history of putting four-cylinder engines in some of its most vibrant production and racing models from the 356/550 to the 912 to the 968.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the environmental wackos are destroying our sports cars
Old 03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Maybe you would like to be breathing the air in China?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
so that is why a po has no power......its obamas fault
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
so that is why a po has no power......its obamas fault
Obama, the EPA, and the new CAFE standards. I know it's hard for some people, but there are these things called facts. One of them is the new regulations requiring cars to nearly double their mileage by 2025.

Please research CAFE standards.

You can see the effect it has on the cost of a new vehicle as well as why car makers are going to smaller engines and more turbos for power. Not b/c consumers want it, but to meet the regulations. It will also greatly increase to cost for new cars.

So no, it's not Obama's fault (although he is part of the problem), but these regulations that he supports.

I know this explanation won't fit on a bumper sticker and isn't easy to chant mindlessly so it may be beyond some people, but it's factual. Hence the quote:
"We will continue with the downsizing strategy and develop a new four-cylinder boxer engine, which will see service in the next-generation Boxster and Cayman,” Müller told the magazine. “We will not separate ourselves from efforts to reduce CO2.”
Old 03-29-2014, 06:38 PM
extanker
Banned

i guess corvette didnt get the word to depower
Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes and I suppose reducing CO2 is a bad thing?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Not sure that protecting the environment is the only factor at work here.
Porsche is now part of the VW group with many eco friendly vehicles in their fleet.
I think the four banger is more of a marketing strategy to separate the Boxster/Cayman from the 911.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the interview, CEO Muller apparently did not specify when these changes will take place (6 cylinder going to 4+turbo). Last week I was trying to buy a new Cayman S. The dealer says it appears too late to get an allocation for a new 2014, so he's ordered me a 2015 (not due till August--apparently they start building the next model year as early as May--several months before the August factory shutdown). When I heard the news (at first from Road & Track website), I got concerned. I called asking the dealer when the Turbo 4 will replace the 6 cylinder engine. He didn't know, but confirmed that it will definitely not take place in the 2015 models.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 AM
extanker
Banned

if/when the 4 banger comes i think it will be faster than the model it replaces...and maybe with less issues
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

if/when the 4 banger comes i think it will be faster than the model it replaces...and maybe with less issues
Yes--I expect that to make the change to a turbo 4-banger more palatable, they will indeed increase HP, torque, while reducing 0-to-60 times. As for "[fewer] issues," I'm not sure what you might be referring to. 2009 and newer Caymans have mostly gotten excellent reliability reports, engines included. (These don't have the troublesome balance shaft or rear main bearing issues.) I also expect better emissions AND better gas mileage--that's part of why they intend to make the shift to 4 cylinders, or so I've read.

That said, while it may just be a psychological quirk on my part, I'm not paying $75,000 for a 4 cylinder car. It ain't gonna happen. Since BMW made the same change in 328s, I've heard mostly negative comments (partly about the sound of the engine, partly about low-end torque, partly about discomfort in paying $40K for a 4-banger.)

It's kind of like a related issue with Corvettes. OK, they cost less and they accelerate faster than Caymans of any stripe. For Corvette owners these may be the overriding issues, and understandably so. But spending that much on a car with 2 valves per cylinder and the single cam in the block and push rods as found in a 1953 Plymouth, when 30 years ago a bottom end Japanese econobox already had more modern technology--well, my stomach just can't go there, so no Corvette for me. That said, I can accept some others will see this differently (e.g., "who cares how you get to 60 in 4 seconds flat if you get there and it only costs $54K").
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM
extanker
Banned

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Yes--I expect that to make the change to a turbo 4-banger more palatable, they will indeed increase HP, torque, while reducing 0-to-60 times. As for "[fewer] issues," I'm not sure what you might be referring to. 2009 and newer Caymans have mostly gotten excellent reliability reports, engines included. (These don't have the troublesome balance shaft or rear main bearing issues.) I also expect better emissions AND better gas mileage--that's part of why they intend to make the shift to 4 cylinders, or so I've read.

That said, while it may just be a psychological quirk on my part, I'm not paying $75,000 for a 4 cylinder car. It ain't gonna happen. Since BMW made the same change in 328s, I've heard mostly negative comments (partly about the sound of the engine, partly about low-end torque, partly about discomfort in paying $40K for a 4-banger.)

It's kind of like a related issue with Corvettes. OK, they cost less and they accelerate faster than Caymans of any stripe. For Corvette owners these may be the overriding issues, and understandably so. But spending that much on a car with 2 valves per cylinder and the single cam in the block and push rods as found in a 1953 Plymouth, when 30 years ago a bottom end Japanese econobox already had more modern technology--well, my stomach just can't go there, so no Corvette for me. That said, I can accept some others will see this differently (e.g., "who cares how you get to 60 in 4 seconds flat if you get there and it only costs $54K").
what ever sunshine....make sure ya tell all that when ya line up with a 15 year old dinosaur corvette at a street light....they will laugh at you tootell them how cool you are in your new po
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

what ever sunshine....make sure ya tell all that when ya line up with a 15 year old dinosaur corvette at a street light....they will laugh at you tootell them how cool you are in your new po
Of course if your goal is drag racing you're absolutely right. I think that perspective is more likely to be a young person's--at least it was more my perspective when I was young!

I'm old now. No drag racing, but still having fun driving. Getting significantly below the Cayman S's 4 1/2 seconds to 60, which the Corvette admittedly does handily (and what else can at that price?), no longer plays a role in the decision of what to buy for me. You're probably younger than I (66). If so, please remember these posts and hopefully think back on them in retirement. You may view the equation differently at that point. If so, I bet it might put a smile on your face. Thanks for your post.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:49 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

come on guys, don't be an idiot - Porsche started with 4 cylinder engines. I have a 356A, which admittedly isn't one of the first, but it predates most (not all) of you posting here - I get 45mpg easily on that car, but it is not a clean burning engine, and it is not a powerful engine. Flat out, downhill with a strong tail wind, I might make 80 mph.

and by the way, my dead stock 1959 Cadillac Eldorado will give quite a few cars a run for their money in a straight line - it's not Corvette fast, but it's fast enough to make a good segment of the testosterone poisoned youth turn away after a stoplight to avoid looking like the idiots they are. it will easily outrun my 356. So will my 944. So will my Cayman. So will almost anything except my 51 dodge.

If you want to get the maximum speed out of your car, just drive it off a cliff, you will get both maximum speed (if the cliff is high enough) and also you will experience the amazing stopping power of hitting the ground.

I have always admired the dragster and the brute force tractor pull vehicles for raw power, but I never ever wanted to drive one.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

More details released ... Subaru is the only other car manufacturer to make boxer four-cylinder engines.

Porsche’s new flat-four engines: from 1.6/210bhp to 2.5/360bhp

By Georg Kacher Spy shots 02 June 2014 http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...25-and-360bhp/

Porsche is developing a new family of four-cylinder boxer engines for its next generation of sports cars. Yes, the downsizing push is affecting even Porsche – and horizontally opposed four-pot motors as small as 1.6 litres are on the drawing board in Zuffenhausen. The horizontally opposed engine layout will obviously cut CO2 and boost economy, yet keep a genetic link to the famous flat-six engines which have powered the 911 for decades. Don't forget 2014's Porsche 919 Hybrid Le Mans racecar also uses a four-cylinder engine, albeit a V4.

Subaru is the only other car manufacturer to build flat-four engines, which typically have a charismatic soundtrack as evidenced on the Impreza family over the years. Porsche flat-four engines: CAR has seen spec data on the new flat-four project, suggesting it will come in three different displacements and power outputs:

Porsche 1.6 flat four 210bhp
Porsche 2.0 flat four 286bhp
Porsche 2.5 flat four 360bhp

Naturally, with power outputs that high, the four-pots are turbocharged, as well as breathing through direct injection. Hence the power and torque outputs are punchy enough to justify the Porsche badge. The 2.0 horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine develops 295lb ft, while the 2.5 cranks that up to 347lb ft. Which Porsches will get four-cylinder horizontally opposed engines?

There is uncertainty over the smallest flat-four, the 1.6. It was originally conceived to be part of the ‘baby Boxster’, codenamed 551 and could have gone on to power the sister VW and Audi sports cars. But the 2.0 and 2.5 engines are confirmed and much of today’s Porsche line-up will eventually be offered with the larger-displacement units, as tastes and taxation systems increasingly favor lower-emissions engines.

According to CAR’s sources, the Boxster/Cayman and Cayenne will get the flat-fours first. A six-speed manual or seven-speed twin-cluch PDK transmission will be offered.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 06-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Future Porsche Boxsters and Caymans Will Get More Punch From Fewer Cylinders