Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions

Thanks in advance for any help answering my newbie questions:

1. My dealer doesn't deal price on special order cars. He knocks $1,000 off MSRP and that is IT! He says if you want a better deal, ya gotta buy what's on the lot.
IS THIS TYPICAL?

2. My dealer says normal wait for a special order car is 4 months, but it appears to be too late for a 2014 allocation (for a Cayman S), so he says "Wait one more month [pushing me into August] and I'll get you a 2015 for the same price." I've agreed.
DOES THAT FIT WITH WHAT Y'ALL HAVE HEARD?

3. The financial planner says I better spend more if I want to die broke. As a result, I'm getting the 2015 CS and selling my mint black/black 2011 base model Cayman with PDK, rear park assist, heated after-market passenger seat, MacNeil floor liners, full-color center caps, and 9,500 miles on consignment through a trusted dealer (not a Porsche dealer). They seem to be advertising it everywhere (e.g., http://www.grandprimotors.com/inventory.html) except on this great website.
IF I WANT THEM TO ADVERTISE IN THE RENNLIST MARKETPLACE, WHAT DO THEY NEED TO DO--BUY A MEMBERSHIP OR SOMETHING ELSE SPECIAL?

Thanks for any sage advice!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Discounts vary wildly, depending on the amount of competition, whether they are a high volume dealer., and if you want to travel I got 8% off MSRP with no discussion from a local SF Bat Area dealer (Sonnen) but the other local dealers would only go as low as 6% -- and these are on special order cars. Some people have gotten 9% in the LA area. If you want to take a trip down here, you can save money clearly.

Special order should take about three and half to four months. I ordered in mid-February and it is scheduled to arrive at the end of May. 2015 is probably what you'd get now and there are advantages to that. Some options are slightly more costly, but just a little. Plus you can get more -- rear view camera with parking assist is the main one. Also, I've hear rumor that a no-cost Z option (not shown on configurator) is a black tach instead of gray. May not seem like a big deal, but significant number of people complain about gray tach not having sufficient contrast with numbers to read rpms in sunlight.

Put your car in the for sale section yourself with a link and it will be on this site....
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Thank you. Sounds like I paid too much (perhaps because the Portland OR dealer has zero competition) but that's water under the bridge now. Also sounds like going for the 2015 (vs '14) makes sense. BTW, issue of the tach color aside, the dealer claims that differences between 2014 and 2015 Cayman S's may be so small as to primarily involve the dropping of 2 colors (I forget which) to be replaced by 2 new colors.

Thanks also for the info about the market place. I'll give it a try . . .
Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Oop--I tried the Market place. Here's what I got:

"you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

I joined yesterday (Saturday). I did not pay to become a member. That's all I can tell add that might be relevant. ANY GUESS AS TO WHY I CAN'T POST IN THE MARKET PLACE? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe you have to be a member to post a classified on the forum.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I believe you have to be a member to post a classified on the forum.
Thanks for the answer. May I assume that means you need to be a PAID member in order to place a classified? Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
TimD
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

I have checked with my dealer, I have a 15 CS on order and there is no Z option to change to all black gauges on the CS. There are other Z options but not that one.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, you have to be a paid member to advertise a car.

Sounds like you are overpaying for your car, by a lot. I got 7.5% off my car (which is a little over $6K off the MSRP), and I didn't take a car on the lot, I ordered it. Depending on where a car is going 4 months for an ordered car sounds about right if its going to the West Coast.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dino944
Yes, you have to be a paid member to advertise a car.

Sounds like you are overpaying for your car, by a lot. . . .
Too late about the cost, I'm afraid. The problem arose due to Kelley Blue Book--They suggested I'd get extremely little off MSRP. Obviously they were wrong. I trusted them and did not know about this website. I'm paying for it literally.

Ok--so I paid my membership dues (thanks for the info!) and can now place an ad in the Market Place. But it's not working!

One of the required fields for placing an ad is MAKE and another is MODEL. When I try to fill in the blanks in those 2 fields, nothing happens. When I click the arrows for those 2 boxes to get drop-down menus, no menu appears. When I try to place my ad anyway, I get a message saying the ad can't be placed without filling in the MAKE. HEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Too late about the cost, I'm afraid.
You may not want to, but you're likely under no legal obligation to buy the car at this point (the build hasn't locked, has it?) and can tell them you're going to walk unless you get a discount. It may be worth doing that and taking a trip down to California for delivery. Just sayin....
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by inkatouring
You may not want to, but you're likely under no legal obligation to buy the car at this point (the build hasn't locked, has it?) and can tell them you're going to walk unless you get a discount. It may be worth doing that and taking a trip down to California for delivery. Just sayin....
Thank you for your post, inkatouring. Indeed you're right that the build hasn't (quite) locked in yet. However, given that when I signed the papers I had to give them 10% up front, if I walk, it would seem they would have the legal right to keep my money, no?

Quick Reply: Newbie questions