Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 AM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Cayman Owner!

hey guys, i just bought a 2006 Cayman S with 80000 miles on it. I work at a dealership, so I got it costed out and paid about 25k for it after taxes and fees which i thought was a great deal. I used to drive an early model 944 which brought out my brand loyalty, and i have to say the one i have now is a dream. It was driven about 10k miles a year and doesn't seem to have any issues other than some cosmetic stuff. I called my mechanic and the only problem he heard about these cars having were the IMS problems, and maybe the RMS issues as well. Do any of you guys have any advice for a new owner who is going to be driving this car daily? I love it, drives like a dream, looks great in black, and the tan interior is almost too classy to handle. Let me know what you guys know and hopefully I can keep this car running for years to come. Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats I too just became a Cayman S owner last week when I took delivery of a CS race car at Sebring! Enjoy!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations on the Cayman purchase.
I too own an '06 CS (guards red/tan).
All Caymans sold in the US came with the M97 engine which included a revised intermediate shaft (IMS) and bearing as compared to the M96 engine that was used in Boxsters and 996 Carreras.
This newer, larger M97 bearing has been statistically much more robust than the earlier M96 bearing, and instances of IMS failure are much more rare.
No one knows for sure, but my guess is that failures of M97 IMS is only 5 to 20 percent of the number of failures for the M96. However, the bearing can still fail, and it almost always does major engine damage when it does. The bearing cannot be easily replaced in an M97 engine like is possible in the M96. It requires the whole engine block to be disassembled to the point it can be split into it's two halves for the bearing to be accessed.
I think the best option for us M97 engine owners is to keep a close watch for metal particles in our oil filters, change oil frequently, and keep a pulse on the IMS replacement market which may someday have a viable bearing replacement product for M97 engines.
As far as leaking rear main seals (RMS), this problem too has been largely corrected with newer seal materials and installation techniques, and it is not a very common problem on the later M96 and the M97 engines.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice. But it didn't really happen if there are no pictures......
Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 AM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

http://instagram.com/p/mOMzW-t9Re/

http://instagram.com/p/mJg7KsN9Q0/

http://instagram.com/p/mHxOszt9cj/
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations Sir! Looks pretty. Now it's time to lower it
Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice. Congrats on your Cayman!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

i definitely wanted to lower it, but the coilover suspension setup that works with PASM and Sport mode on my car are way out of my budget right now. I was looking at Eibach and H&R lowering springs, and i was wondering if these would be good for a great stance but not interfere with the car's electronic aids. What should I go for?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice Car - I'm getting a 2007 Cayman S, just bought it - waiting on the transporting! Any recommendations on a nice sport exhaust? I'd like a little more sporty sound but not overbearing.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lou L
Any recommendations on a nice sport exhaust? I'd like a little more sporty sound but not overbearing.
I have a Remus exhaust install on my CS and love it...
Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM
moskasa
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

IN1TROI, congrats on the Cayman. My father in law has an '06 Cayman S with Chrono and PASM which he put H&R springs on with no interference on the electronics. Lowered the car about an inch. You're safe with H&R, not sure about any others.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 PM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

i just don't want anything more than an inch because i drive it daily and i don't want to scrape it. Also, does anyone know anything about vinyl wrapping?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 PM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lou L
Nice Car - I'm getting a 2007 Cayman S, just bought it - waiting on the transporting! Any recommendations on a nice sport exhaust? I'd like a little more sporty sound but not overbearing.
My number one choice on exhaust just based on a bunch of YouTube videos that I've watched is Borla, but Remus is a close 2nd just because it's a little more expensive than Borla. My third choice is Tubi just because that gets even more expensive, but all of those sound really quality
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 PM
IN1TROI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moskasa
IN1TROI, congrats on the Cayman. My father in law has an '06 Cayman S with Chrono and PASM which he put H&R springs on with no interference on the electronics. Lowered the car about an inch. You're safe with H&R, not sure about any others.
moskasa thanks, i was also looking at Eibach springs that lower the car about an inch, but I've also heard good things about H&R springs. Is there a significant difference between those 2 as far as performance goes? I think the price is about the same
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Got the 2007 S last Friday - having a ball - bought it from a lifelong friend who kept it, in great shape plus added cool things like limited slip, Motorsports AOS, Underpully's, ECU Flash, H&R springs.
Will change all fluids this weekend and it should be good to go!!!

Quick Reply: New Cayman Owner!