Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrono package question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:52 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrono package question

The car is ordered (a 2015 S), I have until mid May before I locked in, and so far I've said "no" to the chrono package. (I am getting PDK.)

What do you thing the use of chrono package is in my case GIVEN . . .

I'll have zero use for the stopwatch. It'll never be on the track.

I won't be drag racing C7s (and therefore, at least as I understand it, I might not benefit much from launch control).

It's hard for me to imagine that I'll push this thing so extremely hard that I'd need the special transmission mounts.

The "performance oriented shift assist display" won't apply (with PDK).

Does that pretty much leave the benefit in my case (though certainly not for everyone) primarily with the SPORT PLUS button?

If so, can't I just get around that issue by grabbing the paddles and overriding the PDK when I want?

Do please keep in mind I'm not asking about general benefits of chrono package--I know it's great for a lot of people. I'm only asking about how it fits in my particular situation. Thanks in advance for your expertise and experience.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a long thread on planet 9 about the value of sportschrono that you can find here.

The main advantage (as you've identified) seems to be that it has sport + mode that, in conjunction with PDK on the track, automatically shifts in an appropriately aggressive manner. Can you shift the car in the same manner manually by using the paddles? Absolutely.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The sport plus mode also makes the throttle more responsive and alters the threshold at which PSM intervenes. Along with the more aggressive shift mapping.

The good news is - if you want those functions without the cost or the dash wart, it's just a software install that can be done at any time.

Sounds like for your intended use of the vehicle, you will not miss the features of the sport chrono function.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM
s999sws
Cruisin'

also, when in sports plus mode the gearbox does change that bit faster , and the sports CHRONO system gives you the capability of having different key settings and suchlike.
cheers
SWS
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

'Sounds like the chrono package is essential for the track, useful for some drivers, and not worth the extra $ in my particular situation. Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It could possibly help resale, no?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
It could possibly help resale, no?
Maybe. I would never buy a PDK car without Sport Chrono. For me, it's essential to unlock the full capabilities of the transmission. I imagine most wouldn't care though.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Maybe. I would never buy a PDK car without Sport Chrono. For me, it's essential to unlock the full capabilities of the transmission. I imagine most wouldn't care though.
Likewise, I agree if you have PDK you really need the enhanced shifting afforded by *either* Sport Chrono or the dealer installed Sport Software. The big benefit of the Sport Software is that it can be added to any car by your dealer, at anytime -- does not need to be specified at the time of purchase.

I bought my PDK equipped CR without Sport Chrono and had my dealer install the Sport Software before delivery. All the benefits of Sport Chrono (Sport and Sport+ buttons, Launch Control, etc) without the dash wart, which I really do not like.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From someone currently shopping.......resale, resale, resale. Should be standard IMO.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevencr
From someone currently shopping.......resale, resale, resale. Should be standard IMO.
Perhaps under normal circumstances you'd be right. However, I'm almost 67. I put only 2.5K miles on a year. This will be my last car. We have no kids. Our heirs, such as they are, are doing fine financially. It won't hurt them to get less for the car when they sell it.

After reading all this, I've decided that in my case I'm NOT going to get the Sport Chrono package and, when I want to go beyond the "Sport" button, I'll simply use the paddles and override the PDK. Sport Chrono is clearly for some. It ain't for all. Thanks, everybody.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Whyteone
Track Day

Originally Posted by djm68
Likewise, I agree if you have PDK you really need the enhanced shifting afforded by *either* Sport Chrono or the dealer installed Sport Software. The big benefit of the Sport Software is that it can be added to any car by your dealer, at anytime -- does not need to be specified at the time of purchase.

I bought my PDK equipped CR without Sport Chrono and had my dealer install the Sport Software before delivery. All the benefits of Sport Chrono (Sport and Sport+ buttons, Launch Control, etc) without the dash wart, which I really do not like.

Cheers,
DJM
Does anyone know what it costs to have this done at the dealer? Or is it just cheaper to order the package from the factory?

Quick Reply: Chrono package question