Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Cayman: Dressing Up Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Cayman: Dressing Up Engine Bay

So how does your Cayman engine look? Stupid question many of you may say because IT'S COVERED UP!

It doesn't have to be though.......

We got a call from a Cayman owner who wanted us to detail his engine. Well I questioned this because the Cayman is a mid-engine car and he chuckled and said he purchased a clear engine cover to go over the engine which will allow it to be seen so he wanted the engine cleaned up.

The client brought the Cayman to us and we got started.

Here is the stock cover which comes with the Cayman. It's a very nice carpeted piece that is very insulated to keep out sound and heat.

This is removed by using a PDR window card to place between the cover and the rear cargo area. Then we took a plastic PDR wedge and gently began to lift up around the edges.

This is the metal heat shield which is also removed.

Removing the metal shield revealed a very ugly and very dirty engine.....yuck!

So we began using our steamers to wash away the grit and grime, which took a good while. I then polished and adjusted the hose clamps and polished as much of the metal in the engine bay as I could.

We then wanted to dress it up more so we installed a series of white LED lights along the engine bay.

After those were installed we then prepped the "Porsche" covers and painted them in the same scheme as the Cayman brake calipers. Red covers and the letters "Porsche" done in white.

So here is the clean and painted Cayman engine.

We also wired a switch in the Cayman cabin so the driver can turn the lights on or off as he wishes. We located the switch just under the emergency brake. It looks very "factory" I think plus it's installed in an area that can be replaced with a new piece if the lights are removed in the future.

I do apologize for not getting great night pics but the camera shook just a bit and because of the low light they came out kinda blurry but here is a glimpse at the finished product.

Because this client is a professional we didn't want the LED lights to be overwhelming or look to "tuner" so we tried to keep it low key yet just enough for people to know it's a unique Porsche Cayman.

This is a picture of it with the cover on, LEDs off.

Well the client was very pleased with our work, which is most important, and we got to let out creative juices flow a bit. Thanks for looking!

Anthony
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Very Well done . Don't know about the clear engine cover for noise and scratches to the cover on a daily basis but a clean engine is a happy engine.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Very Well done . Don't know about the clear engine cover for noise and scratches to the cover on a daily basis but a clean engine is a happy engine.
Thank you.

We had the same concern...noise level. In reality though after we installed it and moved it around in our shop we were very surprised at how low the noise level actually was.

I thought it would be just unbearable but I was wrong. It's got a very nice snug fit and a snap to install. The tough part was the cleaning, lights and paint.

In regards to scratching....that's only a concern if cleaned in a harsh or abusive manner, with the wrong products.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Anthony
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Anthony - GREAT JOB!

This is my car, and finding Anthony was a godsend! I had called him just to detail the engine bay, thinking I would do the rest myself. Anthony did a great job, was ultra professional, and the result speaks for itself. If you are in the San Antonio area and want to see/hear the reslut, send me a note and I will oblige.

As for the noise, this was a major concern of many who have thought about htis project (as posted on planet porsche). I waited for several 'user reviews' of the clear covers that were available before selecting the HIP Designs cover.

As for the noise, I really did not see this as a major concern, having come from a 96 C4S with a raoring aftermarket exhaust, the stock Cayman S sounded as if it were electric. Extra noise....no problem!!

After hearing the cayman (while driving, shifting) with the clear cover on, I see now that the extra noise is not as pleasing as exhaust note. When cruising, no problem at all - barely noticable. But when accelerating aggressively and shifting, it soulds like more 'road noise' or maybe a little like a slightly leaky window. These sounds are not satisfying sounds, so more is of this is definately not better. However, this is no where near the level of a deal breaker - and the visual improvement of the clear engine cover is really something! I am very happy with the change.

The second thing that bothered me was the prospect of how quickly the engine would return to dirty, or how qucikly the cover would be dirty enought to need cleaning. The jury is out on this, I will say that the pictures of my dirty engine were the result of 20K of driving, so hopefully, this will not soon return. In addition, Anthony has assured me that the next ( more regular) cleaning will be substantially easier and less expensive than the first. I will clean the cover itself periodically, but any real engine cleaning will be back at his shop.

The idea of scratches has been easily handled by HIP Designs. He has made a protective cover that goes on the 'glass' to protect the engine cover when you need to transport something or do not want the engine displayed. It is a black mat that returns the car back to a very close to stock look, even allowing for the use of a cargo net. This just slips into place, using the factory cargo net connections. For this reason, I am not at all concerned with the issue of scratches. Also, I cant imagine putting anything in the car that will give rise to the possibility of scratches.....I would use my daily driver for that.

On the subject of the LED lights - Anthony exceeded my expectations significantly. Many have done this, but the method of attachment seemed a little lacking, and the power for the lights seemed to be on with the ignition. I wanted a switch that would allow me to turn on the lights when the car was not in use (car rally, etc, ) as well as turn them off during the day or when I don't want them on. Anthony had a great solution for the switch, which is mounted in the removable piece under the e-brake. This allows for a 'factory' looking solution that can be easily returned to stock with the purchase of a very small, inexpensive interior piece. The lights are not too bright, do not reflect in the rear view mirror when driving, and really are a nice feature for shows or rally's. This, plus the small amount of paint, really make this have a little POP.

Thanks again Anthony for your help with this. I would recommend him for any work you have of a similar nature in San Antonio. I am sincere in my offer to show other Cayman owners the result to the extent that you are in San Antonio. I will try to make an upcoming drive in town to show a few people at once.

Regards
Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool project and it looks great. If I ahd a Cayman I would Definitly consider doing something similar.

Nice Job.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

This is very good information as to how to remove the engine cover. The owners manual does not cover that but tells you how to do everything else and it seems that the factory does not want you in there. After you wedge the carpet section up the first time, how does it go back? Tight as it was? What is a PDR window card?
This cleaning looks great and I really like the red paint with the decals. Thank you for posting this.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
Anthony - GREAT JOB!

This is my car, and finding Anthony was a godsend! I had called him just to detail the engine bay, thinking I would do the rest myself. Anthony did a great job, was ultra professional, and the result speaks for itself. If you are in the San Antonio area and want to see/hear the reslut, send me a note and I will oblige.

As for the noise, this was a major concern of many who have thought about htis project (as posted on planet porsche). I waited for several 'user reviews' of the clear covers that were available before selecting the HIP Designs cover.

As for the noise, I really did not see this as a major concern, having come from a 96 C4S with a raoring aftermarket exhaust, the stock Cayman S sounded as if it were electric. Extra noise....no problem!!

After hearing the cayman (while driving, shifting) with the clear cover on, I see now that the extra noise is not as pleasing as exhaust note. When cruising, no problem at all - barely noticable. But when accelerating aggressively and shifting, it soulds like more 'road noise' or maybe a little like a slightly leaky window. These sounds are not satisfying sounds, so more is of this is definately not better. However, this is no where near the level of a deal breaker - and the visual improvement of the clear engine cover is really something! I am very happy with the change.

The second thing that bothered me was the prospect of how quickly the engine would return to dirty, or how qucikly the cover would be dirty enought to need cleaning. The jury is out on this, I will say that the pictures of my dirty engine were the result of 20K of driving, so hopefully, this will not soon return. In addition, Anthony has assured me that the next ( more regular) cleaning will be substantially easier and less expensive than the first. I will clean the cover itself periodically, but any real engine cleaning will be back at his shop.

The idea of scratches has been easily handled by HIP Designs. He has made a protective cover that goes on the 'glass' to protect the engine cover when you need to transport something or do not want the engine displayed. It is a black mat that returns the car back to a very close to stock look, even allowing for the use of a cargo net. This just slips into place, using the factory cargo net connections. For this reason, I am not at all concerned with the issue of scratches. Also, I cant imagine putting anything in the car that will give rise to the possibility of scratches.....I would use my daily driver for that.

On the subject of the LED lights - Anthony exceeded my expectations significantly. Many have done this, but the method of attachment seemed a little lacking, and the power for the lights seemed to be on with the ignition. I wanted a switch that would allow me to turn on the lights when the car was not in use (car rally, etc, ) as well as turn them off during the day or when I don't want them on. Anthony had a great solution for the switch, which is mounted in the removable piece under the e-brake. This allows for a 'factory' looking solution that can be easily returned to stock with the purchase of a very small, inexpensive interior piece. The lights are not too bright, do not reflect in the rear view mirror when driving, and really are a nice feature for shows or rally's. This, plus the small amount of paint, really make this have a little POP.

Thanks again Anthony for your help with this. I would recommend him for any work you have of a similar nature in San Antonio. I am sincere in my offer to show other Cayman owners the result to the extent that you are in San Antonio. I will try to make an upcoming drive in town to show a few people at once.

Regards
Hello and thanks so much for the kind words regarding our work. It was a pleasure (and also a pain ) to take on your project. I look forward to the exterior paint correction and replacing of your rock guards!

Originally Posted by Giantviper
Very cool project and it looks great. If I ahd a Cayman I would Definitly consider doing something similar.

Nice Job.

Thank you very much

Originally Posted by PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
This is very good information as to how to remove the engine cover. The owners manual does not cover that but tells you how to do everything else and it seems that the factory does not want you in there. After you wedge the carpet section up the first time, how does it go back? Tight as it was? What is a PDR window card?
This cleaning looks great and I really like the red paint with the decals. Thank you for posting this.
Thank you also, glad to help you and others out in this area.

A PDR window card is what we use to protect the cars glass when removing door dings. It's basically a thin piece of plastic, like a polycarbonate material so you can use something similar.

The OEM piece fits very snug and goes right back in with no issues.

Anthony
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the clear engine cover in person, and they are very well made. Very cool addition. I was also wondering about noise level and requirements to keep the engine clean. Look forward to hearing about the latter.

Anthony's work is amazing looking as usual. I really like the creativity with the Red Covers and LED lighting.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Very Nice
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Noise level? It is really not bad at all, the level is not bad, but the sounds are different. More whooshing and wizzing, not loud, but different. I have the protective cover as well, which is a mat that rolls out on it, with a cargo net attachment, making it look close to factory. But I can say, I have only put it on once.

The mod is a must do, very cool, eye catching, and different. I recently drove the car to Dallas for the weekend (300 miles 1 way). On the way back, I drove in the rain. Still, the engine and cover look very clean, with only the cover needing a cleaning. While I could wipe down the engine, I only cleaned and replaced the cover, I will take it back to Anthony for cleaning in a month or so.

With the roll out mat/cover, you can easily cover the see through section if it were dirty and you did not want to clean it. Or, you can put back on the shell and carpet in 10 minutes....if you have no thumbs......

The sound, every one who has ridden with me has said they actually like it better.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the pics !!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 AM
RUF-Techart
1st Gear

Hi, The LED's in the engine bay....sweet. I have a 2006 Supercharged RUF-Techart Cayman-S with a clear LEXAN engine bay cover. Would like to dress up the bay a bit...can you help?? PS I live in Nashville, TN
Thanks for any help, Nick
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RUF-Techart
Hi, The LED's in the engine bay....sweet. I have a 2006 Supercharged RUF-Techart Cayman-S with a clear LEXAN engine bay cover. Would like to dress up the bay a bit...can you help?? PS I live in Nashville, TN
Thanks for any help, Nick
Hello,

Thank you for your compliment regarding our work. I have a whole new project going on right now with a CaymanS that I will post up as soon as we are done. It's a much more involved project than this one so I am excited about it.

What type of help are you seeking? Cleaning of your engine and such?

Anthony

Quick Reply: Project Cayman: Dressing Up Engine Bay