Sponsored by:

GT3 Rally Cup Car Project Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:05 AM
RallyCupdriver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Rally Cup Car Project Help Needed

I am looking to build a GT-3 Rally Cup Car. Any help would be appreciated to help the project out technically. As I am looking at cars for sale on the Forum, I was wondering what hours the engines and trans need to rebuilt. The class I am building it does not require a sealed engine, so modifications are all welcome. I am looking to street legal the registration , as all races require transits on public roads to get to the stages. I would be very interested in speaking to someone who has the interest s as I do with this class. Looking for a GT-3 Base to start the build with, also looking for a fabricator that would do modifications to the cage to make it legal for rally. I appreciate in advance anyone's help....
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM
jimsrs200jim
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My GT3 Cup Rally

If you click on forums there is a rally section on it for rallying you will see my 996 GT3 Cup rally , where are you based , are you going 996 or 997 ,I am based in the UK , I rally the car mainly in Belgium
Jim
Old 10-03-2018, 03:43 PM
jimsrs200jim
Instructor

photos of GT3 Cup rally
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What suspension do you run for rally?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I know nothing about European registration, but in the States you can't get a Cup Car registered on the street. Here one would need to start with a GT3 street car and build it up into a racer. It's the only way to get a registration for it.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been working on this for several years. Where do you intend to compete? I am going to compete in WRC / R-GT. You have some work ahead of you.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:35 PM
RallyCupdriver
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jimsrs200jim
If you click on forums there is a rally section on it for rallying you will see my 996 GT3 Cup rally , where are you based , are you going 996 or 997 ,I am based in the UK , I rally the car mainly in Belgium
Jim
Looking to rallying in the states, I have seen someone street legal a Cup car in the states but it takes work. This is my first hurdle. In some states , they allow re licensing for special usage, I have had many conferences with Dept of Motor Vehicles. If you use a tub without a registration number, they simply add their own for that sate So it can be done! Just takes work....I am looking to rally a 997, from there I have no idea yet what is the best year to build the project on. . I know nothing about Cup cars,The last car I built and ran was this ...http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...g-chris-acker/. so I need some help on what cars to buy and what cars not to buy. How many hours is acceptable for the first engine to run a a season of racers. I would entertain using a street Gt-3 engine and trans. Will it fit into a cup tub? These are all the things I need to research before i purchase the base vehicle to start building on. What suspension do you use fo gravel stages? What size tires and makes do you run as well? I have looked at WRC cup cars and they modify the cages somewhat any idea exactly what they are allowed to do and where the changes in the cage began? Thanks again for the help.....
Old 10-04-2018, 06:19 AM
jimsrs200jim
Instructor

Me and my mates have 4 UK registered GT3 rally cars , 3Cup 1Road The road one cost a lot more to build, than the Cup ones and the Cup cars are far better Rally cars you should check to see if its possible to register a Europe registered cup car in the USA , WE have been rallying the GT3 for a good few years and have got them well sorted ,you will be starting from scratch ,you would be better of buying a European car and then building your own copy , another piece of advise is to visit Belgium where you will see GT3 rally cars in action , I have just returned from a rally in Belgium and am due on the next rally in 3 weeks time with 2 GT3 Cup Rally cars
Jim
Old 10-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got a 2002 cup tub. Damaged left front with all new parts to repair. If that's of interest just let me know.
Best,
Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 AM
RallyCupdriver
3rd Gear

I would be looking for a 997 before the winter comes.....
Old 10-06-2018, 03:33 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen
I've got a 2002 cup tub. Damaged left front with all new parts to repair. If that's of interest just let me know.
Best,
Glen,

Is this a bare tub with VIN? Roller? I may be interested.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Glen,

Is this a bare tub with VIN? Roller? I may be interested.
Bare with Vin. Damaged LF with the brand new parts to fix.
Again, just tub with vin.

Also for OP, 996 tub can be fitted with 997 or 996 body panels.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen
Bare with Vin. Damaged LF with the brand new parts to fix.
Again, just tub with vin.

Also for OP, 996 tub can be fitted with 997 or 996 body panels.
If OP is not interested, message me a price.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a set of custom built Rally shocks coming out of my 997RS next month if you are interested. I used them for Tarmac Rallying.
I also have all the monoball stuff coming out of my 997RS if you are looking for other suspension bits.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyCupdriver
Looking to rallying in the states, I have seen someone street legal a Cup car in the states but it takes work. This is my first hurdle. In some states , they allow re licensing for special usage, I have had many conferences with Dept of Motor Vehicles. If you use a tub without a registration number, they simply add their own for that sate So it can be done! Just takes work....I am looking to rally a 997, from there I have no idea yet what is the best year to build the project on. . I know nothing about Cup cars,The last car I built and ran was this ...http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...g-chris-acker/. so I need some help on what cars to buy and what cars not to buy. How many hours is acceptable for the first engine to run a a season of racers. I would entertain using a street Gt-3 engine and trans. Will it fit into a cup tub? These are all the things I need to research before i purchase the base vehicle to start building on. What suspension do you use fo gravel stages? What size tires and makes do you run as well? I have looked at WRC cup cars and they modify the cages somewhat any idea exactly what they are allowed to do and where the changes in the cage began? Thanks again for the help.....
There is no tarmac rally I am aware of in the US. Gravel rallying a GT3 would be brutal on the chassis. FIA regulations for the WRC/FIA R-GT Cup rally cage stipulate: "The safety cage of any car must be homologated by an ASN in conformity with the homologation regulations for safety cages (for rally cars). For technical passports valid as from 01.02.2014, the homologation regulations for safety cages of the current year apply."

The standard FIA cage in a cup is cut out completely and a WRC-compliant cage is welded in. You may not simply modify the existing FIA cage in a Porsche GT3 Trophy Cup Car (at least for R-GT).

You have to choose what events you will be rallying in and the cage requirements will be specific to your event sanctioning bodies. In the US you may look to ARA, NASA Rallysport, and Rally America for guidelines if you are genuinely interested in gravel stage rally, though I would suggest against it in a cup.

Targa New Foundland is a great road race / tarmac rally that you could enter with little mods to the cage if you end up running a cup car.

Quick Reply: GT3 Rally Cup Car Project Help Needed