Sponsored by:

Importing GT3 Cup from Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Cargt63
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Importing GT3 Cup from Europe

I searched the forums but did not find much useful information.

I am planning to import a GT3 Cup from Europe and need some information. Since it will be used for track use only, does it need to comply with any government regulations (DOT/EPA) or do you need a waiver? How does that work?
Duties? Is 2.5% correct? Since I do not plan to register it, I assume I do not have to pay State Sales Tax?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2019, 08:56 PM
dmaxx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this in May. From my point of view, it is best to have someone that has done this before (a broker of some sort) to help you as there is a lot:

WRT EPA/DOT, you must file for a exception from the EPA and no, you do not register the car and there is no state tax. There is also no title. Ownership passes on a Bill of Sale.

People with their hands out and other fees/etc:
  • EPA exception
  • Customs at the origin
  • Screening charges at the origin
  • Handling charges at the export site
  • Transportation to the airport (assuming you fly it over)
  • Shipper's Declaration and Dangerous Goods paperwork
  • Dangerous goods charge
  • Airfreight
  • Duty
  • Merchandise Processing fee
  • Customs clearance destination
  • THC destination
  • Pickup at destination airport
Definitely worth it
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

done this 4 times now.

Hire an importer to handle everything.

Depending on value of car, and location where you want it delivered, 10k to 12k in cost

Believe it or not, air freight is only about 5k more
Old 08-21-2019, 12:05 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx
.... and there is no state tax.
With the exception of the 5 States that do not have a General Sales Tax, this is not true - unfortunately. The 45 States that have a General Sales Tax also have a "Use Tax" which was designed to recapture lost tax revenue from out-of-state (and out-of-country) sales. Basically, if you buy something outside of your home State and bring it into your home State (or any other of the 45 Use Tax States), you are "obligated" to pay Use Tax, which is normally the same rate as that States General Sales Tax. Emphasis on "obligated" - next to nobody actually does this voluntarily.

However; many state Department of Revenue offices actually look thru the import records AND search the BOLs as transporters enter the State. Months, even years later, they can (and will) send you a Bill...plus interest and penalties.

An item valued at $100 isn't going to grab anyone's attention at the DOR....but a $200k car and the Illinois 6.25% of tax revenue sure will.

Excerpt from the Illinois DOR (link below): "By voluntarily paying all of the Illinois Use Tax you owe on time, you will avoid being billed for unpaid tax and additional penalty and interest charges.Illinois is aggressively focused on collecting Use Tax using a variety of methods including examining the sales records of out-of-state retailers, sharing sales information with other states and gathering information on overseas purchases from the U.S. Customs Service. The Department bills any unpaid tax, penalty, and interest to Illinois residents who do not pay voluntarily. For taxpayers who do not have records to document their Use Tax liability, the Department will estimate the liability."

State of Illinois Use Tax

Just last week a friend of mine received a "bill" from the FL DOR for a Cup Car imported from the UK in 2017....Ouch.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

I did this in May. From my point of view, it is best to have someone that has done this before (a broker of some sort) to help you as there is a lot:

WRT EPA/DOT, you must file for a exception from the EPA and no, you do not register the car and there is no state tax. There is also no title. Ownership passes on a Bill of Sale.

• EPA exception
  • Customs at the origin
  • Dangerous goods charge
  • Airfreight
  • Duty
  • THC destination
Definitely worth it
Agreed here in terms of using a broker, experience is well worth the dollars in getting the car into the states without hiccup.

Originally Posted by FLA997
With the exception of the 5 States that do not have a General Sales Tax, this is not true - unfortunately. The 45 States that have a General Sales Tax also have a "Use Tax" which was designed to recapture lost tax revenue from out-of-state (and out-of-country) sales. Basically, if you buy something outside of your home State and bring it into your home State (or any other of the 45 Use Tax States), you are "obligated" to pay Use Tax, which is normally the same rate as that States General Sales Tax. Emphasis on "obligated" - next to nobody actually does this voluntarily.

However; many state Department of Revenue offices actually look thru the import records AND search the BOLs as transporters enter the State. Months, even years later, they can (and will) send you a Bill...plus interest and penalties.

An item valued at $100 isn't going to grab anyone's attention at the DOR....but a $200k car and the Illinois 6.25% of tax revenue sure will.

Excerpt from the Illinois DOR (link below): "By voluntarily paying all of the Illinois Use Tax you owe on time, you will avoid being billed for unpaid tax and additional penalty and interest charges.Illinois is aggressively focused on collecting Use Tax using a variety of methods including examining the sales records of out-of-state retailers, sharing sales information with other states and gathering information on overseas purchases from the U.S. Customs Service. The Department bills any unpaid tax, penalty, and interest to Illinois residents who do not pay voluntarily. For taxpayers who do not have records to document their Use Tax liability, the Department will estimate the liability."

Just last week a friend of mine received a "bill" from the FL DOR for a Cup Car imported from the UK in 2017....Ouch.
Very good post and outline of this - spent a good amount of time reading up on this when I went through the same process on my end and could not have summarized it better.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:01 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
done this 4 times now.

Depending on value of car, and location where you want it delivered, 10k to 12k in cost

Can you refer an importing agency who can handle this process well?
Product Manager& On-Track Tester@SilverRocket Racing, Asia's leading Porsche race team, leverages our racing expertise, we develop motorsport grade performance parts for the Porsche GT4 RS street car and Porsche 991 Cup Cars.

Official Website: https://silverrocket.co/
Store Link: https://store.51gt3.com/collections/...rformance-kit

Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimbleli
I've used the company below xx times and never a bad experience. Turnkey. Incredibly Simple.

CARS USA SHIPPING LLC
15205 S Main St
Gardena CA
USA
Tel: +1 310 6956403
Fax:+1 310 695 6584
info@carsusa.com
www.carsusa.com
Old 08-21-2019, 05:06 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997

Great info. Sounds like Illinois is just as “hands out” as the state I live in here in Australia. I wonder if this same tax would apply if I were to ship my cup car from Australia to Illinois, given that I already own the car in Australia and have done for a period of time?
Old 08-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

• EPA exception
  • Customs at the origin
  • Dangerous goods charge
  • Airfreight
  • Duty
  • THC destination
Definitely worth it
Thank you for your extensive reply. This is very helpful!
How much duty (%) did you pay?
Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

Originally Posted by stujelly
done this 4 times now.

Does you number include the duty?
It seems very expensive because the freight I got quoted is around $2500. That excludes handling and duty stateside.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM
dmaxx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2.5%
Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

About 2.5%
Thanks. Yes, that is also the info I have
Old 08-22-2019, 12:31 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kimbleli
plus 1 for cars
Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Cargt63
Does you number include the duty?
It seems very expensive because the freight I got quoted is around $2500. That excludes handling and duty stateside.
You are going to be much higher than $2500, average I'd say is around $10-12k as mentioned - freight is one charge of many:

- freight
- customs inspections
- duties
- container fee
- port fees

Just to name a few, I paid $12k to do this - and my freight quote was well under half of that amount. Then you still need to get it from the port when it arrives in the US; and I'd be weary of using a discount shipper when it comes to doing something like this. If it's not done correctly, and the car gets tied up in customs for searches/or documents are not in order and it doesn't clear in a timely fashion and they put the container into "storage" at the port; none of the price savings will be worth the headache.

Experience > price in this matter.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (10-21-2021)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Cargt63
Instructor

• EPA exception
  • Customs at the origin
  • Dangerous goods charge
  • Airfreight
  • Duty
  • THC destination
Definitely worth it
Thank you for your answer. I am not planning to fly it over. Too expensive. My plan is a dedicated container because typically these cars come with several sets of tires and they can be easily loaded with the car.

Quick Reply: Importing GT3 Cup from Europe