Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

For Sale: 997 CUP-R - Extremely Unique, Sorted & Fast

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:27 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Really disappointed that the VIN wasn't mentioned until a price had been negotiated. That's a big deal. Then the story kept changing and never really made sense.

Being straight and honest is all we have with each other in the race car world. Any less is a waste of everyone's time.

On to the next one.

Stu
Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Also, the car was advertised as a 2009 and the photo of the VIN I was provided was from a 2006 car.

Just not good.

Stu
Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes this car has a different tub as original tub was wrecked and needed a retub.

When it was re-tubbed, it was rebuilt with the best parts all 997 cup and 997 RSR parts.

Is the car incredibly well sorted, handles amazing, and fast, YES.
Is this car capable of winning GTA2 class, YES.
Does the tub have a vin issue, YES.
Are the parts on the car sum worth WAY more than asking price, YES.
Is it a Frankencup, YES.

Will the vin issues, steer away some buyers, YES.

At the end of the day this is a fast, great car that was built for PCA/POC club racing, its not a show historic car, its a race car meant to be driven hard and fast and win races and thats exactly what is has done.

Pro level drivers have driven the car and have attested to its performance and handling. It has been worked on by 2 of the most premiere mechanics in Porsche racing.

This is a car for some and not a car for all, at the end of the day if it doesn't sell for any reason, it will stay in my collection. I wanted to see it out on the track and enjoyed by someone else for what is is and what it was built for.

Those that know me personally, know me and nothing else needs to be said, and to those that don't know me personally and want to make assumption, then it's a free country and forum too.

Thats all I will comment, and if anyone is interested in the car, PM me and for the rest good luck on your future car search and I wish you the best in life and health during theses times.

Happy Racing!

Old 06-04-2020, 01:03 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Yes this car has a different tub as original tub was wrecked and needed a retub.

When it was re-tubbed, it was rebuilt with the best parts all 997 cup and 997 RSR parts.

Is the car incredibly well sorted, handles amazing, and fast, YES.
Is this car capable of winning GTA2 class, YES.
Does the tub have a vin issue, YES.
Are the parts on the car sum worth WAY more than asking price, YES.
Is it a Frankencup, YES.

Will the vin issues, steer away some buyers, YES.

At the end of the day this is a fast, great car that was built for PCA/POC club racing, its not a show historic car, its a race car meant to be driven hard and fast and win races and thats exactly what is has done.

Pro level drivers have driven the car and have attested to its performance and handling. It has been worked on by 2 of the most premiere mechanics in Porsche racing.

This is a car for some and not a car for all, at the end of the day if it doesn't sell for any reason, it will stay in my collection. I wanted to see it out on the track and enjoyed by someone else for what is is and what it was built for.

Those that know me personally, know me and nothing else needs to be said, and to those that don't know me personally and want to make assumption, then it's a free country and forum too.

Thats all I will comment, and if anyone is interested in the car, PM me and for the rest good luck on your future car search and I wish you the best in life and health during theses times.

Happy Racing!

Shane, why don't you post some in car videos as well as some race results of the car to showcase its past performance? Videos and lap times don't lie.....

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
The following users liked this post:
fallenangel96734 (02-09-2021)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:39 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Originally Posted by FLA997
Interesting. Isn't that what the listing you posted contains about your car - the history? (minus the VIN / VIN story)

You could save a lot of people's time - your's included - by disclosing the VIN info up front.

Comical given the glowing seller reviews posted above.
Are you trying to put plates on it and drive it on the street?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 48 Posts

If I hadn't just bought a 997.2 Cup car, I'd be all over this.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
I would if I bought it. Obviously not as a DD but as a weekend spirited drive now and then. Too bad there is no title
Juan Lopez (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
That's cute....

You are missing the point.
Juan Lopez (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58 PM
SpencerB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it was originally a 2006 with a 2009 retub? Does the VIN get cut out of the old tub and stay with the car when you perform a retub? Just trying to understand how it is supposed to work.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:04 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

The cars advertised as a 2009. I was supplied a picture of a VIN and it was from a 2006 car. Car has the VIN plate under the hood cut out which is what PMNA requires to buy a new tub. When you get a new tub, you are required to destroy the old one to eliminate the chance of two vehicles with the same VIN. So...if you find a car to buy missing the VIN plate, there's the potential for problems and Porsche does not like that and can cause issues for you.

That is something requiring disclosure early on in any sales talk. To bring it up after prices are agreed to is not the way to have people trust you. Not to mention the story changing multiple times.

Stu
Old 06-16-2020, 04:30 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Here is some in car video of the car in action.

The handling difference between this car and a standard 997.2 cup is night and day. I even drove it back to back with a 997.2 cup and was amazed how much more planted and compliant my car was... with the changes and the new GT3R wing mounted to the chassis the back end stays planted especially in higher speed corners. Also no understeer as that was all worked out and I HATE UNDERSTEER.

Race against Loren Beggs (multiple Pirelli Cup Champion) in 991 Cup @ Spring Mountain. Lots of slow mechanical grip corners that really shows the handling.

Love racing against Loren, always hard but fair, as racing should be.

Was on Pole but got caught napping on the start... but got it back

Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Race Against Dan A in his 700+ HP Beast... Power vs Handling.

Loren in his 997.2 Cup

Both videos, Finished 1st Place.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:39 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Thunderhill Long Track - Lap Record .. car was still being developed. Im sure can go back now and shave 5+ seconds off the long lap.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:30 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Here is some cell phone footage of the car racing at Rennsport V against a 997 RSR.

The car was on the main footage for the race most of the race even when 48 others cars were on track.

MirageJHU (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 05:37 PM
mobonic
Drifting

The car has been in the hands of PMNA with the current tub with no issues, they have helped me at the track and hooked up to the car again with no issues from them at all.

Also engine has been dyno'd and tuned by PMNA with ECU & Exhaust to obtain the best power...they do not do this for non built PMNA motors so this is another rarity, more of a "who you know" thing

It's sad that some potential buyers want to use the vin to slam the car or me online so they can then offline offer me pennies on the car offline, but hey to each there own...

I will just say ..

THIS IS NOT A FIRE SALE, if the car doesn't sell close to my asking it will go into storage and I will keep it.... I just wanted to see it raced and used by someone else that has the appreciation for what it is, a super fast reliable race car.
MirageJHU (06-16-2020)

Quick Reply: For Sale: 997 CUP-R - Extremely Unique, Sorted & Fast