Sponsored by:

Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 05:17 PM
afilsinger
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
What are you guys using to integrate the heart rate sensor with Motec? This would be fun data to have.
We use a garmin heart rate band connected via bluetooth to the Vbox HD2 in the car. Instructions here: https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot...t_Rate_Monitor
Old 08-14-2020, 08:21 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

Another who has stepped into a 996 cup from a 996 GT3 road car. I don’t get much time to drive it as I’m distracted by other vehicles and a young family but every time I do I can’t wipe the smile off my face for days after. Can be easily self supported at a track day but worth having a reliable shop to look over the car before events. You may opt to do this yourself but for me I see it as an old race car so I feel more comfortable if another set of eyes has been on it before I go out. As others have said it’s a very friendly race car sharing lots with the street car. Still a weapon so you will find yourself and passing a lot of cars.
The following users liked this post:
FastCarSlo (08-15-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I stumbled on this thread a month late. I DE a 997.1 Cup that I bought from Bill Rudtner (who supports me at the track) Actually my son and I share the car (also have a Spec Boxster which I am going to start racing next season). I did not do the paddle conversion. I fully understand the costs involved.

Like someone else said, there is NOTHING like driving a cup car on track, even in a DE with point bys. The smile on my face usually lasts a few days after I get back from an event and I'm always jonesing to get back there ASAP.

My son driving the car at Lime Rock:

Some front straight drive bys at LRP (with the quiet exhaust system)

Highly recommended.

Last edited by jlanka; 09-11-2020 at 03:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jlanka:
FastCarSlo (09-11-2020), hollmatt (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 12:35 PM
FastCarSlo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I stumbled on this thread a month late. I DE a 997.1 Cup that I bought from Bill Rudtner (who supports me at the track) Actually my son and I share the car (also have a Spec Boxster which I am going to start racing next season). I did not do the paddle conversion. I fully understand the costs involved.

Like someone else said, there is NOTHING like driving a cup car on track, even in a DE with point bys. The smile on my face usually lasts a few days after I get back from an event and I'm always jonesing to get back there ASAP.
Funny, I share mine with my son as well, and our 2nd car is a spec 944. Momentum vs 911 is a fun contrast! I have to ask.. in your case who is faster?

My son normally knocks a few seconds off my times - I haven’t decided if that’s talent, *****, that he doesn’t have to pay, or all 3. . It’s a ton of fun to watch
Old 09-11-2020, 01:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCarSlo
Funny, I share mine with my son as well, and our 2nd car is a spec 944. Momentum vs 911 is a fun contrast! I have to ask.. in your case who is faster?

My son normally knocks a few seconds off my times - I haven’t decided if that’s talent, *****, that he doesn’t have to pay, or all 3. . It’s a ton of fun to watch
We're in the same boat at Lime Rock he's 2 seconds faster. All 3 reasons are valid. Maybe run into you guys one day?
Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 AM
FastCarSlo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
We're in the same boat at Lime Rock he's 2 seconds faster. All 3 reasons are valid. Maybe run into you guys one day?

We’re in Socal and a few years away from having time for treks to east coast but we’ll make it at some point, would be fun to explore a whole different set of tracks.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

I also went from a boxster race car to a 997.1 cup. I did about 6 practice track days then straight into race. Like many, I was super intimidated. But, it was a rush unlike anything else. I would say the 997.1 is definitely more raw and will beat you up. I’m 49, in average shape, and I stepped out of the car like I was just in a street fight..... with a big ear to ear grin. My advice, get a professional coach with you for a few track weekends to help get you confidence. I even hired one to spend the entire day with the car to sort out bugs in the brakes and suspension. Best money I’ve ever spent on a car. Got back into it and it was night and day. The reason why I think this was such a valuable expense was I really had no idea what to expect. I drove the first 2 weekends with spring bind up in the rear and didn’t know it. If you’ve never driven these cars you may not know what feedback is normal for a cup or not normal. So, I’m a big fan of the 997.1. I think it’s the best deal out there today for a DE or race car. I will echo others that mention maintenance costs. And, parts are getting hard to find as well.
FastCarSlo (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 02:31 PM
FastCarSlo
Rennlist Member

@cadaver I agree 100% with getting an experienced coach engaged right off the bat. We didn’t do that until recently and while we had tons of fun along the way we definitely didn’t have the car properly sorted, and as you said, didn’t even realize it because we didn’t have the right reference point.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:44 PM
KMC993
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the excellent info. Decided against the Cup and went with a GTB1 prepped Cayman. Little bit more upfront than some of the 997.1s i was looking at, but maintenance and running costs seem a bit more manageable, especially in DE trim. Next step for next season will be some coaching. Any recommendations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic (US)?
Old 10-13-2020, 04:19 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by afilsinger
We use a garmin heart rate band connected via bluetooth to the Vbox HD2 in the car. Instructions here: https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot...t_Rate_Monitor
Yellowcog mated to Motec. See Mark Higgins using it on his Isle of Man run:
FastCarSlo (10-15-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:52 AM
Greenredrocket
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
My quick and dirty.
Run cost is going to be substantially higher, it "can" be run without a shop but that can lead to more worries.
Parts are cheaper than street cars though. No IMS issues on racecars.
Paddles and ABS are frankly required. You will **** up the gearbox if you dont know how to use it, gentle shifts=repair bill.
ABS will pay for itself extremely quickly. Whether its from flatspots galore or where a lockup would have put you in a wall, get abs.

Here's my main pet peeve, it may apply here but it might not at all. When getting a racecar, scraping by just isnt worth it.
Willing to buy sets of tires when they're roasted after a weekend? Far too many racecars get driven on old af and worn down tires because guys are trying to get every single dollar out of them, putting wasted hours onto the car with 50% of the value extracted out of those laps.
Wiling to risk some damage? No point in buying a car and driving it in fear of damage. A SB is one thing, but a Cup is something new.

IMO too many people reach for cups when they're better suited for the budget of Caymans or something under a cup.
Just know what you're getting in for, if it's all good, then send it as nothing beats a cup car! Just dont want people getting in over their heads.
Paddles? KMP and Hollingers ?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Megaline Paddle set up is the bomb. It is what Porsche went with for the 991's ultimately. All have specific set up items you have to know about and monitor. The most important thing is what system does your shop do the best with - get that one. But - my experience with all three indirectly and Megaline directly is that Megaline is solid and needs less upkeep.

Quick Reply: Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car.