Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM
KMC993
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car.

Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car. DE for several years in a track prepped 993 and Spec Boxster, now looking for something faster but without a 6-figure initial spend.

Questions… specific things to avoid? Typical failure points? Parts availability? IMS issues, I believe the 997.1 Cup has a non-DFI M97 engine? Thoughts on paddle shift conversion and ABS? Suggestions for a different P car? Appreciate any advice input. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:20 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC993
Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car. DE for several years in a track prepped 993 and Spec Boxster, now looking for something faster but without a 6-figure initial spend.

Questions… specific things to avoid? Typical failure points? Parts availability? IMS issues, I believe the 997.1 Cup has a non-DFI M97 engine? Thoughts on paddle shift conversion and ABS? Suggestions for a different P car? Appreciate any advice input. Thanks.
I acquired a 2015 991.1 GT3 Cup in January 2019 to run as a DE car. Would be happy to discuss live if you wish on my thoughts, observations and experiences. Just let me know and I could PM my mobile number
Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM
KMC993
Rennlist Member

That would be great - thx.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

My quick and dirty.
Run cost is going to be substantially higher, it "can" be run without a shop but that can lead to more worries.
Parts are cheaper than street cars though. No IMS issues on racecars.
Paddles and ABS are frankly required. You will **** up the gearbox if you dont know how to use it, gentle shifts=repair bill.
ABS will pay for itself extremely quickly. Whether its from flatspots galore or where a lockup would have put you in a wall, get abs.

Here's my main pet peeve, it may apply here but it might not at all. When getting a racecar, scraping by just isnt worth it.
Willing to buy sets of tires when they're roasted after a weekend? Far too many racecars get driven on old af and worn down tires because guys are trying to get every single dollar out of them, putting wasted hours onto the car with 50% of the value extracted out of those laps.
Wiling to risk some damage? No point in buying a car and driving it in fear of damage. A SB is one thing, but a Cup is something new.

IMO too many people reach for cups when they're better suited for the budget of Caymans or something under a cup.
Just know what you're getting in for, if it's all good, then send it as nothing beats a cup car! Just dont want people getting in over their heads.
The following 2 users liked this post by SkeerRacing:
carbondan (04-25-2021), Greenredrocket (11-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:31 PM
KMC993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkeerRacing
My quick and dirty.
Run cost is going to be substantially higher, it "can" be run without a shop but that can lead to more worries.
Parts are cheaper than street cars though. No IMS issues on racecars.
Paddles and ABS are frankly required. You will **** up the gearbox if you dont know how to use it, gentle shifts=repair bill.
ABS will pay for itself extremely quickly. Whether its from flatspots galore or where a lockup would have put you in a wall, get abs.

Here's my main pet peeve, it may apply here but it might not at all. When getting a racecar, scraping by just isnt worth it.
Willing to buy sets of tires when they're roasted after a weekend? Far too many racecars get driven on old af and worn down tires because guys are trying to get every single dollar out of them, putting wasted hours onto the car with 50% of the value extracted out of those laps.
Wiling to risk some damage? No point in buying a car and driving it in fear of damage. A SB is one thing, but a Cup is something new.

IMO too many people reach for cups when they're better suited for the budget of Caymans or something under a cup.
Just know what you're getting in for, if it's all good, then send it as nothing beats a cup car! Just dont want people getting in over their heads.
Appreciate the thoughts. Caymans (Spec, Interseries, GTB1) also considerations and i'm certainly much more familiar with the street car to race car paradigm. Agree factory race car would be a whole new level.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:22 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

CUP cars are very rewarding to drive. these cars work better if you push them hard. this is hard to do in a DE... eg if you dont line up first its hard to get heat in the tires first lap so you are stuck longer in traffic and if you line up first you catch the backmarkers on lap 2

in most DEs and their run groups you will spend most time waiting for a point. there are exceptions eg the cups group of cups and saucers at the glen and there are probably a few others (david murry open track is not bad either)
it is personal but for me being the biggest dog is less fun. I only DE my 996 cup as on DMTD prior to a race as most there consider it testing for the race and my home track.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I will second Marc and say you will likely be frustrated in a Cup in a DE environment. You will be faster than anything out there sans other cups and well driven, high horsepower purpose built race cars and Andrew Aquilante in anything beyond a shopping cart.

Even in advanced groups without a point, I still feel a bit apprehensive blasting by street cars knowing they don't have near the level of safety gear compared to mine, nor do I necessarily know their experience or comfort level with a race car side by side at corner apex.
The following users liked this post:
rebrewer (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 PM
KMC993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
CUP cars are very rewarding to drive. these cars work better if you push them hard. this is hard to do in a DE... eg if you dont line up first its hard to get heat in the tires first lap so you are stuck longer in traffic and if you line up first you catch the backmarkers on lap 2

in most DEs and their run groups you will spend most time waiting for a point. there are exceptions eg the cups group of cups and saucers at the glen and there are probably a few others (david murry open track is not bad either)
it is personal but for me being the biggest dog is less fun. I only DE my 996 cup as on DMTD prior to a race as most there consider it testing for the race and my home track.
Interesting thought, definitely pointed by a few Cups in my time.
Looks like you've switched to DE'ing a GT4 - considered this but figured I'd feel safer with a full cage around me.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

There is nothing like the reliability of a well maintained factory race car. Problem is that on a 997 Cup the gear box rebuilds are at around $400 per running hour. Ouch! If you want ABS and paddle shift you might want to look into a GtT4 Clubsport or look at a 996 Cup with a no issues gearbox.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:02 AM
Francesco996
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 996 cup is definately then cheapest in running costs, still being a real factory race car. Lots of parts fit from the street cars too which can be found everywhere. ABS is on board already.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 66 Posts

IMO, the GT4 clubsport is the best choice for a factory race car in a DE environment. It is the most expensive to buy, but the running cost are very reasonable. As stated before, a 997.1 is great but the transmission is the big issue. They can go 60-70 hrs if well driven or destroyed in 1 weekend. They also are getting pretty old. The newest one is a 2009 and in race car years, that's getting up there. That is also the problem with a 996 cup. They are old cars and It is hard to find nice ones that haven't been hammered. A 996 is much more DE friendly though. Basically a stripped down GT3 street car. The clutch can be a little tricky, and don't let it overheat by idling too long but otherwise its pretty much like any other car.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

I’ve got a few friends with 997 cups used for DE purpose, they don’t have nearly as much fun as I do in my cayman, due to the cost and experience needed to drive one to its full potential. I also recommend a cayman or clubsport. I’ve got a beautiful GTB1 prepped 981 Cayman S with low miles and less than 1,000 track miles. I’m considering selling. The perfect DE car especially if you want to hunt down GT3s. PM me if you want some more info.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Biased but 996 Cup to me is the way to go - More robust trans, Factory Engineered Cage-no price on safety, very reliable motors, can be supported by yourself easily -I do it, as fast as 997 cups and may I dare dare say faster then 997.1 dont ask why I think its just the total package works, Tires are big expense but there are cheaper alternatives where the car wont be as fast but much cheaper the Pirelli

Back some years ago me and a buddy bought 7x 996 cup cars sold 5 most of them went to DE guys that were hesitant for same reasons. Everyone of them will tell you it was a great move, they love there cars and they never want to sell them. NO street car I have ever driven on track and I have driven some of the worlds fastest can compare to a Cup car in terms of driver feedback and enjoyment.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:38 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I moved from a street 996 GT3 to a 996 Cup. Solid cars and I'm able to do all the wrenching myself. The tranny is basically stock GT3. Steve113 got it right above and already having ABS is a plus. The difference in driving experience between the street and Cup GT3 is big, and the Cup just puts a big smile on your face. There are a bunch out there for sale right now.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
I moved from a street 996 GT3 to a 996 Cup. Solid cars and I'm able to do all the wrenching myself. The tranny is basically stock GT3. Steve113 got it right above and already having ABS is a plus. The difference in driving experience between the street and Cup GT3 is big, and the Cup just puts a big smile on your face. There are a bunch out there for sale right now.
I made the same move and couldn't agree more. I also happen to have a 996 Cup for sale right now that would be a perfect DE candidate

Quick Reply: Considering a 997.1 Cup as a DE car.