Sponsored by:

New Trailer for Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 01:15 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
We've had a 20 ft, 24 ft, 38 ft goose, 44 ft goose and a 32 ft tag. 24 is the bare minimum for running a cup unless you are just transporting the car and not much in the way of spares or tools. 24 is a pretty decent compromise.
I currently have a 24' ATC using it for my 992 cup and it is starting to get small for me. I am debating on goin 28ft or maybe just go bigger so I don't have to again in the future with a 34 or 36' gn. Can't make up my mind and maybe you can help since you've had them all.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:38 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.dswmanufacturing.ca/2015/11/fold-up-bench/

This is the folding bench I got from dsw.

My 24 ft atc works out to about 3 feet from rear of car to door for balanced pull with gmc 2500.

Maybe with slighty shorter trailer you can go further back and not have tongue weight issues.
The following users liked this post:
awrryan (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:12 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by revolutioN99
I currently have a 24' ATC using it for my 992 cup and it is starting to get small for me. I am debating on goin 28ft or maybe just go bigger so I don't have to again in the future with a 34 or 36' gn. Can't make up my mind and maybe you can help since you've had them all.
28 ft is about the longest I would want to go on a bumper pull. If I needed bigger I would grab a 40 ft GN since you lose about 6-8 ft of floor space with the GN.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:31 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
28 ft is about the longest I would want to go on a bumper pull. If I needed bigger I would grab a 40 ft GN since you lose about 6-8 ft of floor space with the GN.
I wouldn't go longer than 28 with bumper either. I do use a 2022 F-450 dually so I am debating what to do with upgrading my 24.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:37 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

it's just a balance of logistical PITA versus space. bigger than 24 and you are really only stopping at truck stops, pain if you need to stay overnight in a hotel etc. 24 is already a pain, but bigger is just worse. I ended up with the 32' tag because it was a package deal with a car I recently acquired. I would not have bought a tag that long in normal circumstances, but I have to say it tows better than my 24'. The 32 is triple axle all aluminum, the 24 is steel 2 axle. We had a lot of problems with blowouts on the 24 because we were close to the 12k limit (2x 6k axle) and had. Nitrogen bottles and tool box both on the left side of the trailer which was too much load on the left front. I have a '22 Chevy 2500 as the current tow vehicle.

The gooseneck pull nice and a 36 footer is probably the sweet spot for a single car. It's not much longer overall than a 24 tag. You just lose the bed storage and they won't work with a short bed truck.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:44 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

it's just a balance of logistical PITA versus space. bigger than 24 and you are really only stopping at truck stops, pain if you need to stay overnight in a hotel etc. 24 is already a pain, but bigger is just worse. I ended up with the 32' tag because it was a package deal with a car I recently acquired. I would not have bought a tag that long in normal circumstances, but I have to say it tows better than my 24'. The 32 is triple axle all aluminum, the 24 is steel 2 axle. We had a lot of problems with blowouts on the 24 because we were close to the 12k limit (2x 6k axle) and had. Nitrogen bottles and tool box both on the left side of the trailer which was too much load on the left front. I have a '22 Chevy 2500 as the current tow vehicle.

The gooseneck pull nice and a 36 footer is probably the sweet spot for a single car. It's not much longer overall than a 24 tag. You just lose the bed storage and they won't work with a short bed truck.
I am pulling with a F-450 dually which is a long bed of course so I am not worried about the bed length. I am worried if I go gn I lose my bed space which usually I put my coolers, spark wheels in. I am really leaning for a 36' gn customer build by Intech but then I'm also looking at 28' bumper pull. I am stuck between the two.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:57 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on the 8.5x20' stealth the other day. It's having a warn winch and versatie track installed down the full length of the floor now.
I'm going to run more versatie track down the front walls, that's about the only place I'll have floor space for storage. Going to do a stack of 4 wheels on a tire dolly and tie that up to the wall. Will do some misc small cabinets for essential fluids and <100 lb worth of tools, and a 2 over 2 fuel jug holder up there.

Kept going back and forth all day yesterday about upgrading it to the 24 foot model they had in stock and trading my 2019 Raptor in for a 2023 Ram 3500 dually or F350 platinum dually.
It's one of those deals where it seems like you can just never have enough space, got to call it a day at some point. My problem is I love the raptor for doing raptor things but on the flip side I tow long distances quite a lot, did two trips from WA to Nor and So Cal as well as salt lake and back just in the last month or so with my open trailer attached. Guess we'll find out how well the Raptor handles the 20 footer and take it from there!
I installed the roadmaster active suspension kit and a Gen-Y Boss hitch last month and it made a world of difference in the ride quality and load leveling.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:52 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

I am pulling with a F-450 dually which is a long bed of course so I am not worried about the bed length. I am worried if I go gn I lose my bed space which usually I put my coolers, spark wheels in. I am really leaning for a 36' gn customer build by Intech but then I'm also looking at 28' bumper pull. I am stuck between the two.
Floor space wise the 28 tag and 36 goose are the same. It's just trading attic storage in the goose with bed storage. You'll end up putting cools/wheels etc in the trailer vs the truck. I have gone back and forth too. Having the truck bed is kind of nice for things like luggage/etc, but the attic storage in the goose is a lot of space for all the things you usually put in the truck bed. The GNs do pull well and probably get a little better gas mileage with better aero because you don't have the giant wall of trailer 5 ft behind the truck.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:39 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbondan
I just pulled the trigger on the 8.5x20' stealth the other day. It's having a warn winch and versatie track installed down the full length of the floor now.
I'm going to run more versatie track down the front walls, that's about the only place I'll have floor space for storage. Going to do a stack of 4 wheels on a tire dolly and tie that up to the wall. Will do some misc small cabinets for essential fluids and <100 lb worth of tools, and a 2 over 2 fuel jug holder up there.

Kept going back and forth all day yesterday about upgrading it to the 24 foot model they had in stock and trading my 2019 Raptor in for a 2023 Ram 3500 dually or F350 platinum dually.
It's one of those deals where it seems like you can just never have enough space, got to call it a day at some point. My problem is I love the raptor for doing raptor things but on the flip side I tow long distances quite a lot, did two trips from WA to Nor and So Cal as well as salt lake and back just in the last month or so with my open trailer attached. Guess we'll find out how well the Raptor handles the 20 footer and take it from there!
I installed the roadmaster active suspension kit and a Gen-Y Boss hitch last month and it made a world of difference in the ride quality and load leveling.
I had a raptor myself and sold it for a F-250 tremor. One of the hardest decisions ever because I really loved my raptor and still want another one just couldn't handle the towing I did and I tow more than I offroad. But I did end up moving up from a F-250 to a F-450 later down the line.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:41 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Floor space wise the 28 tag and 36 goose are the same. It's just trading attic storage in the goose with bed storage. You'll end up putting cools/wheels etc in the trailer vs the truck. I have gone back and forth too. Having the truck bed is kind of nice for things like luggage/etc, but the attic storage in the goose is a lot of space for all the things you usually put in the truck bed. The GNs do pull well and probably get a little better gas mileage with better aero because you don't have the giant wall of trailer 5 ft behind the truck.
I feel like towing a gn also is more stable than having a bumper pull which is why I am more leaning on a 36gn over a 28 bumper.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:53 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a raptor myself and sold it for a F-250 tremor. One of the hardest decisions ever because I really loved my raptor and still want another one just couldn't handle the towing I did and I tow more than I offroad. But I did end up moving up from a F-250 to a F-450 later down the line.
What were you towing with the Raptor and how did it perform?
How big of a performance difference did you notice going from the 250 to 450?
I'm frequently towing from Seattle to California which has a combo of steep mountains and long straight stretches.
Having a hard time striking a balance between a setup that is solid and stable, without overdoing it with something so cumbersome that it becomes problematic.

My raptor with the roadmaster suspension and Gen-Y non-WDH hitch pulled my open trailer like a dream. More power than I'd ever need, ample brake, and never a hint of sway. The enclosed trailer is only about 400 pounds heavier than my open trailer, but I have to imagine I'll add another several hundred pounds of other stuff now that it's enclosed. The wildcard in my calculation is how the big broad sides of the enclosed trailer will contribute to sway. I think the open trailer gets off easy since the air pressure doesn't build up too much on the broad sides.

Last edited by carbondan; 06-03-2023 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:59 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks to all who took the time to post (about trailers and towing in general). Good info.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:03 AM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Also towing a 20’ with a Land Rover. Trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. The coin flooring has a hefty weight premium. Went the shoring beam route. Does the job and leaves plenty of space for a desk at the front and all my other gear.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:28 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 519Kris

Also towing a 20’ with a Land Rover. Trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. The coin flooring has a hefty weight premium. Went the shoring beam route. Does the job and leaves plenty of space for a desk at the front and all my other gear.
I considered the weight of flooring. It does add weight. For the shoring beam route, you're referring to your tire rack, correct?

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2023, 11:06 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

I feel like towing a gn also is more stable than having a bumper pull which is why I am more leaning on a 36gn over a 28 bumper.
Towing the GN is going to be way more stable vs the bumper pull. With the F450 you will be setup perfectly. One thing to consider though is the resale value on a 36ft GN. Most people who are looking for a used GN are looking for 40+ ft. Probably not a deal breaker but its good to consider all possible outcomes.

Last edited by RossP; 06-05-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: New Trailer for Cup Car