New Trailer for Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 11:23 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts
Default New Trailer for Cup Car

Good Morning,

I purchased a new trailer yesterday. Not new to trailering, but was previously using a Futura. The new one is a 20' aluminum (2580 lbs dry weight). Right now, my plans are to install rubber coin or other deck flooring and a winch. I am considering cabinets and it is a necessity to find a way to secure wheels and the nitrogen bottle for the air jack system (the nitrogen bottle will be on an aluminum car that I purchased from Demon Speed); however, since I am new to a cup car, I was wondering how others have outfitted their enclosed trailers so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel or miss something. Would really apprecaite any pics and/or advice.

Thank you,
Ryan.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:27 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would want to see how others have their trailers setup also for cup cars. I am fairly new in owning a cup car also and still trying to figure out how to get everything organized.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:18 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I had this booked marked for when I was organizing my trailer which is also a 20 foot enclosed trailer. If the link works, it should be a picture of a pretty good use of the space for how to equip.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...l#post17378483
Old 05-26-2023, 05:10 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA964993
I had this booked marked for when I was organizing my trailer which is also a 20 foot enclosed trailer. If the link works, it should be a picture of a pretty good use of the space for how to equip.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...l#post17378483
thanks! Saw that thread when considering the trailer too!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:54 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are planning on using the factory tie-down rings (most do), you will want to install 4 clip-in rings towards the very outside of the trailer. This allows you to keep your straps away from the cars body work.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:52 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ted in Rochester
If you are planning on using the factory tie-down rings (most do), you will want to install 4 clip-in rings towards the very outside of the trailer. This allows you to keep your straps away from the cars body work.
thank you! I do plan on using the tie downs rings that attach to the wheels and the rings are already installed on the four corners of the floor (away from bodywork).
Old 05-28-2023, 11:26 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Timely thread! My open air aluminum trailer was just stolen today. Almost certainly going to go for a 8.5x20 Stealth to replace it.
Winch is mandatory for sure.
I'm planning on doing recessed track system of some sort, ideally versatie I think.
What wheel mounting solutions have you come up with? Have you found any nice aftermarket cabinet systems?
Old 05-30-2023, 02:40 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbondan
Timely thread! My open air aluminum trailer was just stolen today. Almost certainly going to go for a 8.5x20 Stealth to replace it.
I'm planning on doing recessed track system of some sort, ideally versatie I think.
What wheel mounting solutions have you come up with? Have you found any nice aftermarket cabinet systems?
I just bought this for a winch, but this company also has what appears to be nice cabinets that I intend to purchase with a countertop:

http://www.midwestracecabinets.com/s...orage_Box.html

I have not determined how to address wheels even though I think a wheel rack may be my only choice.

Hope this helps! Let me know what route you decide too!
Old 05-30-2023, 04:46 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice new hauler!

a few ideas to make life a little easier at track

Three rows of airline railing on both sides up front 10 feet of trailer and back 4 feet on both sides.

two or three swivel hooks to hang cool shirt and suit between heats,

A sitting bench over the fixed wheel well of some kind, there are some cool folding padded versions or good lawn chair to change clothes.

spare tire and wall rack.

wheel dolly or rollers to put new set tires on and attach to side wall

front aframe box for wheel chocks, I keep my nitrogen in this as well.

winch and battery with battery box

Rolling, craftsman plastic toolbox for most of your necessities for your day

electric cooler and long cord or small generator, good to keep cool shirt ice for multi session days

splurge——air con and heater

the list is endless and soon your 20 will need to be 24 then 28 feet.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:48 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Ha! As I was reading down the list I'm thinking 20' isn't going to cut it. Do you have a photo of your setup?
Old 05-30-2023, 11:22 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Tomorrow I will snap a few

Yeah, it seems like you always need more room. Wait to you start wanting to get the Rukus.haha

My car needs 3 feet to the door behind it and you should have about 4 feet in front of it.

A roll around tire rack is a must for the track and a movable tool box

Gas cans and the fuel dolly will be either sit in the truck or just be purchased at the track.

If you already have a demon speed set up for the nitrogen, you can just attach it to the wall as well.

Unfortunately, at 20 feet if you start putting cabinets in you will quickly use most of your space.

Ssearch the general forum above for trailers and tow vehicles. There are some beautiful set ups.

Last edited by s996; 05-30-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:58 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

We've had a 20 ft, 24 ft, 38 ft goose, 44 ft goose and a 32 ft tag. 24 is the bare minimum for running a cup unless you are just transporting the car and not much in the way of spares or tools. 24 is a pretty decent compromise.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:58 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carbondan
sorry to hear it was stolen and hopefully it was insured. I'm thinking of stacking them on a wheel dolly and fastening the stack to the wall via airline track (as recommended in a post above). That way they can be easily rolled around in and out of the trailer. I don't want to mount a wheel/tire rack on the wall and have to lift the wheels to put them up on the rack (even though, for floor space, that is the most practical solution). I was looking at Midwest Cabinets. Same company that I used to buy the winch box (link in another post by me in this thread). Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:06 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s996
Nice new hauler!

a few ideas to make life a little easier at track

Three rows of airline railing on both sides up front 10 feet of trailer and back 4 feet on both sides.

two or three swivel hooks to hang cool shirt and suit between heats,

A sitting bench over the fixed wheel well of some kind, there are some cool folding padded versions or good lawn chair to change clothes.

spare tire and wall rack.

wheel dolly or rollers to put new set tires on and attach to side wall

front aframe box for wheel chocks, I keep my nitrogen in this as well.

winch and battery with battery box

Rolling, craftsman plastic toolbox for most of your necessities for your day

electric cooler and long cord or small generator, good to keep cool shirt ice for multi session days

splurge——air con and heater

the list is endless and soon your 20 will need to be 24 then 28 feet.
Thank you!
Old 05-31-2023, 10:09 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s996
Tomorrow I will snap a few

Yeah, it seems like you always need more room. Wait to you start wanting to get the Rukus.haha

My car needs 3 feet to the door behind it and you should have about 4 feet in front of it.

A roll around tire rack is a must for the track and a movable tool box

Gas cans and the fuel dolly will be either sit in the truck or just be purchased at the track.

If you already have a demon speed set up for the nitrogen, you can just attach it to the wall as well.

Unfortunately, at 20 feet if you start putting cabinets in you will quickly use most of your space.

Ssearch the general forum above for trailers and tow vehicles. There are some beautiful set ups.
Why does the car need 3 feet to the door behind it? I'm was thinking about installing cabinets, but not sure I need them. I do want to mount a table on the wall that folds up when I need it. I have the Demon Speed dolly for the nitrogen tank and will attach that to the wall as well.

Quick Reply: New Trailer for Cup Car