Sponsored by:

Approximate Budget for Sprint Challenge 992

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 06:37 PM
BlazeTyler
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Approximate Budget for Sprint Challenge 992

I am a new member and I'd like some feedback on a realistic budget for a season of the Sprint Challenge with a 992. I'd also welcome some feedback on the different teams and their support programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:36 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on how competitive you want to be. I would budget $60k to $70k per weekend for preparation, crews, tires, fuel, pro coach and travel cost if you are series about winning a race. That does not include major repair if you crash out(or got hit by someone else), that will happen eventually.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:36 PM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could do it for less depending on what you have for infrastructure to build on but that number seems reasonable to me based on friends running 991.2’s in the series. Travel costs are bigger than everyone expects until they look at the distances involved.

Tires and entry fees alone are significant line items. Teams spend a lot of money to have the right tools and equipment to participate as well which drives up the support costs.

I keep looking for a sponsor….
Old 06-22-2023, 05:38 AM
Jupp
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't underestimate the maintenance cost of a 992...
That seems pretty reasonable what @wxq99 writes here.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:04 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds step but here is a brake out if you want to know how the numbers added up.

Preparation: about $5k - $10k. The bottom end is just for set down and set up the car with consumables such as brake pads, rotors. If there is any repair that requires more than basic work then it will go up to $10k easily.

Car transportation and crews (including their travel cost): $25k - $45k. Here is the number for what I paid. This number will vary quite a lot depending on how fancy you want the hospitality to be. $25k is the low end that basically a three people crew with a lot of tools that I provides, $45k is about 6 people crew with nice hospitality, that was a GT3 car which requires more people. You can save a bit here if the team run more than one car but $35k seems pretty normal as a starting point. Big team may not fit what you need as they may have a lot of programs to run and some other people maybe on a much higher priority than you to support. Depending on your skill level, find what fits you the best is critical.

Tires: $10k. Three sets of tires for a weekend, sometimes you may want to run a 4th set.

Entry fee: I am not sure of PSC but maybe about $4k - $5k per weekend?

Pro Coach: $7k-$8k. 9 of 10 people is cheap on this but it is really what really paid the money itself. I pay $2k/day for a pro cache plus his travel cost, some people are cheaper at $1k or $1.5k which is OK if you just start racing. Remember a fast race car driver is not necessarily a good coach. Also it depends on your skill level and what you want to achieve. At different stage of your racing career, you may need to find different person to fit your need. At the beginning, you need to keep trying till you find one that fits your learning style.

Fuel: $1k - $1.5k

And your travel cost.

The good part of Porsche cup car is they don't deprecate that much and the cost of car itself is just a piece of the overall cost. I have no experience with PSC but if the series does not have Porsche support truck at track side then you will want to build your own spare inventory and carry with you. Sometimes a spare car is cheaper as you just took parts off from the 2nd car. You have spent so much money on a weekend and you do not want to end your weekend earlier because you are short of a $500 part.

Last edited by wxq99; 06-22-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:05 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I have always said buying the car, while the funnest part of the process, is always the cheapest part of the cup car process.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:28 PM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Anywhere from 250-400k/season (no car rental or personal travel) depending on team

Quick Reply: Approximate Budget for Sprint Challenge 992