Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Porsche 991.I/991.II GT3 Cup MR (Manthey-Racing)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 09:29 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Porsche 991.I/991.II GT3 Cup MR (Manthey-Racing)

Hello together,

I joined rennlist about a year ago and I´m not posting too often, so please let me introduce myself: My name is Guenter Weirich, I am the company historian of german team Manthey-Racing. Main aim of my work is the chassis history documentation of all Porsches ever raced, built by or fielded for customers by our company.

Based on 991.I and 991.II GT3 Cup, Manthey-Racing designed and built the GT3 Cup MR. Not all of you may know that build, I´m citing Paddy McGrath (Speedhunters.com) for a short outline:

„The GT3 Cup MR is an evolution of the world renowned Porsche GT3 Cup, which itself is a race car based upon the 991 GT3 street car. This is the car for when you want more from your GT3 Cup, but don’t want to go all-in – with regards to both finance and ability – with a GT3 R. There’s quite a lot more to it than just taking a GT3 Cup, fitting some over-fenders, wider wheels and a wing on it and calling it a day. There’s a comprehensive list of considered upgrades and modifications which drastically increase the performance potential of what is already a very capable car. Multiple Nürburgring 24 Hour winners, always at the sharp end of the VLN series and now taking care of the factory Porsche RSR WEC cars, Manthey-Racing know a thing or two about building a competitive Porsche race car. It’s their knowledge and experience that have allowed them to develop the GT3 Cup into so much more.

Okay, it’s not a GT3 R (itself only second to the RSR in Porsche’s 911 racing line-up) but it’s not a million miles off it in terms of performance, while remaining much closer to the GT3 Cup in terms of running costs. It’s about 15 seconds off the GT3 R over the combined Nürburgring Nordschleife and Grand Prix circuit VLN course, but around 10 seconds faster than the GT3 Cup. The GT3 Cup’s 3.8-litre engine can be retained, but it can also be upgraded to a 4.0-litre package at the customer’s request. (…) The overall track of the car has been increased significantly using a new suspension arm kit, and it now runs the same size wheel/slick tyre combination as the GT3 R. Weight is around 1200kgs, with 460hp if the 3.8-litre engine is retained. The suspension has been upgraded to KW‘s 3-way adjustable Competition suspension, providing high and low speed compression adjustment independent of rebound adjustment with high performance race springs.“

Around 40 of these cars exist, some were manufactured at our home base in Meuspath, several others delivered as kits. So were around 10 units that went stateside to PMNA who converted factory fresh GT3 Cups with them. Researching these cars is really demanding, most run track days or smaller /regional race series and often change hands. I would like to ask for your help with a few cars I have no trace of. Any hint on the history and wherebouts of these is highly appreciated, I would really love to fill in the gaps in our archive. I´m posting each car separately. Thanks a lot in advance for any information!

Guenter
The following 3 users liked this post by MeuspathMuseum:
edub (11-14-2023), jdcohenmd (11-05-2023), PAOLOP (11-09-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:35 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

Default 991.II GT3 Cup MR Matt Joffe

This car was rund at the 2019 PBOC Winterfest and the IGT Sebring Vintage Classic by a gentleman named Matt Joffe. I never came across it again…

Old 11-03-2023, 09:38 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

Default 991.II GT3 Cup MR Martin Brauns / Flying Lizard

Ran in the Porsche Trophy West USA 2019/2020, fielded by Flying Lizard, driven by Martin Brauns. No further information...

Old 11-03-2023, 09:59 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

Default 991.II GT3 Cup MR Garrison Masters, for sale by David Taylor

POSSIBLY the car driven by Garrison Masters at SRO Winterfest @ Thermal Club 2020 (first picture), now for sale by David Taylor (racecarsforyou). David
was very friendly offering his help on the occasion of a first inquiry by EMail but then never replied aagin (?)...

Old 11-04-2023, 10:46 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome cars - I am currently looking to buy one myself, or trade my 2018 Huracan GT3 Evo for one, so if you know of any owners willing to trade, please send them my way.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:04 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You can often track down drivers using speedhive.com. You can find what series they run and possibly the team in some cases.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:45 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 38D
You can often track down drivers using speedhive.com. You can find what series they run and possibly the team in some cases.
Thanks for the hint, I am frequently using Speedhive. It´s somewhat erratic though, it follows no pattern in which driver or event you can find. Some drivers running in
PCA Club events are listed, some are not, Same goes for track day events: Thermal Club has lots of entries, Trackmasters @WGI (e.g.) can´t be found.
Also, I am still lacking the HSR Fall historics results...
Old 11-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts

There was one racing in IGT at COTA this past weekend with an interesting rear wing configuration.

Last edited by Jickel180; 11-08-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:38 AM
MeuspathMuseum
Intermediate

That´s Tony Karlinskas, the bodykir has some modifications (vented wheel arch extensions, swan neck rear spoiler 992 style)....
Old 11-10-2023, 05:23 PM
996 HRT
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
this is not about the car you mentioned,but the ex Weiland #WP0ZZZ99ZFS198074 is now in Romania in my posession
regards

Last edited by 996 HRT; 11-11-2023 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:18 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Hello Guenter- welcome to RL.

I think you already contacted my tech (Todd) about our car. If not, let me know.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:46 PM
PrimeSpeedSport
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by carbondan
Awesome cars - I am currently looking to buy one myself, or trade my 2018 Huracan GT3 Evo for one, so if you know of any owners willing to trade, please send them my way.
Hi,
Phil Hall here form Prime Speed Sport in New Zealand. We have run 2x of these awesome cars for a few years now (search us the dreaded FaceBook to see pics etc). One of those cars is now up for sale. please shoot me an email at sales@primespeedsport.co.nz & I can send more info, pics etc etc. Guenther knows the cars well.

One thing to be aware of is that there are different versions of the MR Cup cars - most of the ones pictured in this chat are GT3 Cup MR, but you could get higher specification variants - the Cup MR SP and the Cup MR SP Pro. The car we have for sale is a Cup MR SP Pro. This is the top variant of the MR Cup cars & had the 4.0L engine with additional upgrades to raise the power to 525hp, more aero (SP7 specification) and additional electronics tuning like the 'anti-lift' functionality. As mentioned we have run 2x of these cars for a few years so know them very well & happy to help with any information/advice required.

Cheers,
Old 11-21-2023, 09:41 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Phil- how effective is the anti-lift option?

I saw it on Manthey’s website and didn’t know what it was frankly.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:01 PM
PrimeSpeedSport
2nd Gear

Hi,

It is an additional system in the car that helps to reduce front end lift at high speed. This was primarily designed for the Nurburgring where flat floored cars can get excessive air underneath the body going over some of the high speed jumps etc. It does this through a combination of ABS control & engine throttle. Its is very effective & we have found it intervening at one track in particular in New Zealand. It is very unobtrusive & just keeps the car very under control where is might become light & loose otherwise.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PrimeSpeedSport
Hi,

It is an additional system in the car that helps to reduce front end lift at high speed. This was primarily designed for the Nurburgring where flat floored cars can get excessive air underneath the body going over some of the high speed jumps etc. It does this through a combination of ABS control & engine throttle. Its is very effective & we have found it intervening at one track in particular in New Zealand. It is very unobtrusive & just keeps the car very under control where is might become light & loose otherwise.
Thanks for this.
The following users liked this post:
PrimeSpeedSport (11-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche 991.I/991.II GT3 Cup MR (Manthey-Racing)