Sponsored by:

Cup car Motec guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:16 AM
trap125
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cup car Motec guide

Would anybody care to compile a guide for how to install and run the required software on a laptop for older Cup cars? When I say older, my car is specifically a 2011 997.2 Cup.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to struggle with the Motec software and getting a connection to the car.

Some sort of guide of how to install the software and what exact files are needed, where to put them, how to connect to the car with the MSA BoxII (does the car need to be running?), etc, would be wonderful! Basically a complete beginners step through guide for dummies.

I thought this could be a very useful resource for those of us that are new to Cup cars.

I'm pretty useless with PC's and not exactly computer savvy. I have all the software on a file for the Cup car but don't know what to do with it. I've bought a Windows laptop specifically for the car.

I understand that this maybe a lot of work but I'm sure it would be extremely useful and many people would be very appreciative of it. If somebody creates the guide and then comes to Scotland I'll most definitely buy you a few beers!
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, also interested in this

On the memory stick that comes with the 991 Cup cars, there is a quite a clear manual how to connect to RaceCon.
Was there something similar when the 996 / 997 Cup cars were delivered ?

Last edited by Q&A; 02-29-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:35 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I would also be interested if anyone has such a guide.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:04 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

I would also greatly appreciate 🙏
Old 03-01-2024, 09:39 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Bosch Modas for the ECU vs the Motec ADL dash interface? With reference to the Bosch MSA box, I'm assuming this request is for the Modas ECU software (?).

Old 03-02-2024, 07:46 PM
trap125
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Bosch Modas for the ECU vs the Motec ADL dash interface? With reference to the Bosch MSA box, I'm assuming this request is for the Modas ECU software (?).
Im after a beginners guide for both. I have the software and cables but don't know what to do with it or how to use it... I think I said Motec instead of Modas in my original post but I need to know how to use both...
Old 03-03-2024, 01:58 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Just to get a list going for Modas, I’ll start off with a couple general steps, but others will need to fill in all the important details:

- You need the MSA cable and a laptop to plug in.

- The Modas software download is still available on the Bosch website.

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pro...s-and-archive/

Scroll down to Archive > Software & Software Tools > Modas V3

I think the V3 version is the last update, and maybe the best to download.

- You then need to get the correct configuration file for your car that is compatible with the version of Modas that you've installed. There are various threads here where people are asking for specific config. files, which are getting passed around by email or download links. I'm using a 2007 997 Cup file for my MY05 and it seems to communicate ok. If I remember right, the software prompts you for the config file, or let's you know that it needs a config file when you open the app.

- The car needs the master power and ignition switch on to communicate. The car can be running, if you want to check real time engine operating parameters. If just wanting to view the data screens (engine hours, fault codes, etc), then you just need power/ignition on but the engine doesn’t need to be running.

Not sure there is a recommended sequence, but maybe best to connect the MSA cable, power up the car, and then open the software. If you do it in a different order, opening the software first, it will tell you it’s not connected but will recognize the car when you do power it up. So not sure it matters.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-04-2024, 07:12 PM
trap125
Instructor

Just to get a list going for Modas, I’ll start off with a couple general steps, but others will need to fill in all the important details:

- You need the MSA cable and a laptop to plug in.

- The Modas software download is still available on the Bosch website.

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pro...s-and-archive/

Scroll down to Archive > Software & Software Tools > Modas V3

I think the V3 version is the last update, and maybe the best to download.

- You then need to get the correct configuration file for your car that is compatible with the version of Modas that you've installed. There are various threads here where people are asking for specific config. files, which are getting passed around by email or download links. I'm using a 2007 997 Cup file for my MY05 and it seems to communicate ok. If I remember right, the software prompts you for the config file, or let's you know that it needs a config file when you open the app.

- The car needs the master power and ignition switch on to communicate. The car can be running, if you want to check real time engine operating parameters. If just wanting to view the data screens (engine hours, fault codes, etc), then you just need power/ignition on but the engine doesn’t need to be running.

Not sure there is a recommended sequence, but maybe best to connect the MSA cable, power up the car, and then open the software. If you do it in a different order, opening the software first, it will tell you it’s not connected but will recognize the car when you do power it up. So not sure it matters.

This is very useful. Thanks so much for taking the time...

What is the difference between Modas and Modas Sport?
Old 03-04-2024, 11:01 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trap125
What is the difference between Modas and Modas Sport?
I don't know. I think it's newer or something different than what we need for the 997 ECU interface.

I'll take some pics and screen shots next time I hook up to the car, if there hasn't been better information provided in the meantime.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:34 PM
trap125
Instructor

I don't know. I think it's newer or something different than what we need for the 997 ECU interface.

I'll take some pics and screen shots next time I hook up to the car, if there hasn't been better information provided in the meantime.
Thank you so much. That would be really great!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:25 PM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m looking to get into Modas as well for my 997.1. I’ve gotten good at Motec programming so it’s time to get my hands into Modas. Does anyone have a cable/box they are selling for a better price than new? Thank you!
Old 03-06-2024, 06:28 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The cable needed (the one that plugs into the A-pillar) is actually a basic printer cable. I heard to run the software, you need an old laptop, NOT a MAC by the way!
Old 03-06-2024, 06:58 PM
trap125
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coop
The cable needed (the one that plugs into the A-pillar) is actually a basic printer cable. I heard to run the software, you need an old laptop, NOT a MAC by the way!
You need a Bosch MSA BoxII cable. The printer cable only communicates with the dash.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:04 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

For the Motec dash interface:

The early 997.1's have the Motec ADL dash and need a UTC/CAN Adapter to connect thru a USB cable to a laptop. The connection is on the B-Pillar right next to the ECU port.

The later 997.1's and .2's have the ADL2 dash and the connection port is on the A-Pillar. This can be connected directly to a laptop via USB cable with a Type B connector (to the car) and commonly a Type A (into the laptop). Simple Amazon purchase, no proprietary Motec CAN adapter needed.

Last edited by Oddjob; 03-06-2024 at 07:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oddjob:
Coop (03-07-2024), ProCoach (03-10-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:43 PM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Herb E.
Don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m looking to get into Modas as well for my 997.1. I’ve gotten good at Motec programming so it’s time to get my hands into Modas. Does anyone have a cable/box they are selling for a better price than new? Thank you!
yup, I’m looking for Modas cable/MSA box

Quick Reply: Cup car Motec guide