Sponsored by:

996/GT3 race car build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In PCA the class is GTA1, a good class with many cars to race with. You could also run as a GT4 class car.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Dobson
In PCA the class is GTA1, a good class with many cars to race with. You could also run as a GT4 class car.
Can't run GT4 in PCA as they don't have the hp/l modifier for the GT3. I already looked into that. It's GTA or make it compliant with the stock (J) class. Only problem is there is NOBODY in J.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked at several cup cars, but decided that cup cars require a tremendous amount of maintenance versus converting a street car into a race car.
I'm struggling with this statement here. In what ways are the maintenance on the GT3 street car less than a Cup car? They have fundamentally the same driveline except the GT3 street engine has more moving parts with the variocam components. The suspension and brakes are the same, so where are you saving on maintenance costs?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I'm struggling with this statement here. In what ways are the maintenance on the GT3 street car less than a Cup car? They have fundamentally the same driveline except the GT3 street engine has more moving parts with the variocam components. The suspension and brakes are the same, so where are you saving on maintenance costs?
Agreed. It is a completely misguided and incorrect statement (that a race GT3 requires less maintenance than a Cup) and discussed at length in other posts.

Some argue that a race GT3 could "suffer" less wear if you don't run it with slicks (less grippy hoosiers), and at lower revs due to the longer gears; but then you are not driving it to its full potential. And even if you run it in the Stock classes you have to consider the effect of the much higher weight which IMO (and physics) is the biggest factor affecting wear and tear of tires, brakes and suspension components. Modern fast "stock" class P-Cars are very expensive to run due to the big weight.

The only (excuse?) reasonable explanation to convert a street GT3 is as a by-product on the marginal expense of the incremental steps in having gone through the process of Street - DE - dedicated track car - race car, and enjoying the process of the DIY wrenching...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
Agreed. It is a completely misguided and incorrect statement (that a race GT3 requires less maintenance than a Cup) and discussed at length in other posts.

Please dont take this out of context. I am referring to the purchase of an "experienced" Cup Car versus a low mileage Street GT3.

There are several cost differences when comparing the two models. One being a purpose built race car and RACED...versus a street car (low miles 9000) being converted.

1) Look at the cost of an engine rebuild for a GT3 Cup car versus a street car. My point is that many of the Cup Car fors sale will need an engine rebuild a lot sooner than a street motor. (45-75 hours on most 04,05, Cup cars on the market.)

2) Stub Axles allowing for single wheel nut (need to be replaced every so many hours) This part is not on a street car

3) Racing axles on Cup Cars (check the cost on those BLUE AXLES)

4) Some have fuel cells that will need replacing ($5000)

5) Old BBS rims will need to be rebuilt (fasteners, new outers or inner rim barrels)
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1) The engines use most of the same parts with similar rev limits. If you think a street engine will last longer than a cup engine, you may want to research this more.

2) Stub axkes are cheap and last a long time

3) How is a heavier GT3/"Cup" car going to be easier on axles. If you run stock axles, you'll liquify the grease.

5) Wheels are wheels, they all need periodic maintenance
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, so a street GT3 engine driven hard on the track will need a rebuild at ~100-120 hours also?

I just want to make sure I understand the discussion. I must admit I was under the impression that the street engine was more "durable" and required less "attention" as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Just curious, so a street GT3 engine driven hard on the track will need a rebuild at ~100-120 hours also?

I just want to make sure I understand the discussion. I must admit I was under the impression that the street engine was more "durable" and required less "attention" as well.
Yes, and as many others you are under the wrong impression.

The 100-120 hrs is Porsche's recommendation. I'm sure many engines run and have seen more than that. If you run the GT3 engine for the same time under the same race conditions of the Cup, it will essentially have the same wear rate.
Most likely, it will still run but it will not be at 100% as new...

In my view, 100-120 hours is a LOT! In a PCA race weekend (that gives you the most tracktime among clubs) you can get max 5hrs of Race condition time (and that's assuming you run EVERY session completely + 2 sprints + 90min Enduro). So that gives you up to 24 race weekends!

... I wish my (non GT) racecar gearboxes and/or engines lasted that long...(no need to rebuild, they just kaput. buy and replace)
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

cgomez - thanks for enlightening me. Good info.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have direct, personal knowledge of 3, 996 cups that exceeded 200 hours on their motors. One is still running that motor and beating the crap out of all the other West Coast cups. I ran mine for 3 years and 100 hours without any engine problems at all. It leaked 3-6% when it sold....

FWIW, I replaced my original blue axels when the car sold. They had 5 years on them without incident. The only breakage I incurred was a pressure plate/clutch, and a front lower control arm that snapped at 150 when I jumped on the brakes. A memorable code brown moment....
Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Guys

I think you are missing the point here.. Speed GT3 wanted a fun reliable car that didn't require the expense and work to run a Cup car..

He wants a car that he can get in and go with little to no drama.. Cup cars are great no doubt but they require work to keep them running in top top shape.. Are there cars running around with 100 hours on the engine and more sure... And a lot of these cars are rattle boxes at best.

Lets face it there are plenty of ways to skin a cat..

Speed GT3 wants a fun reliable car and that's what he is building, I don't think he is caught up in the " I have to be the fastest guy in my class" otherwise he would have gone out and purchased a car like World Challenge GT3 cup and destroyed the 99.9% of the cars running in POC or PCA on the west coast.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay so back to pictures please
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Yes, more pictures please.

I own a 996 Cup and GT3. Like Speed GT3 I've also gone down the route of a heavily modified, track orientated GT3. The plan is race it in PCA/NASA/SCCA and have some fun. Specs for my car are still being finalised so I'm watching this post with a great deal of interest. Likely it will end up under 2500lbs with 450hp (there is a 4.0L 500hp+ option being considered as well) wider wheels and slick tires with a decent aero package.

The Cup car is raced in the GT3 Cup Challenge in New Zealand. The car is great to drive and racing in a series like the GT3 Cup Challenge is fantastic. However, I also wanted something that was a lot of fun to race in the US and hence decided to modify my GT3. The process of modifying the car in itself has been a good experience and I'm looking forward to getting it on a track soon.

I look forward to regular updates and photos Speed GT3.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

This car is perfect in the following classes:
1) POC GT3
2) Nasa GT4
3) World Challenge GTS Class

Starting out with an immaculate street GT3 allows Speed GT3 to customize the car to his particular tastes. There are plenty of Cup cars out there but most of them are considerably "used". This is a great option for someone who doesn't want to go the Cup car route.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plus for us without hordes of cash... the purchase price of a street car can be financed..... cup cars have to be purchased one way.. CASH!

Quick Reply: 996/GT3 race car build