Sponsored by:

PCA 2012 Proposed Rules Changes in GTC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA 2012 Proposed Rules Changes in GTC

What do you think of these proposed rule changes for the cup classes? Spec tire? Monoball set ups? 997 heads in a 996 engine? These are in for comment until October 1, 2011...

Club Racing News 11.3 page 12

GTC:

4. Change the GTC3, GTC4, and GTC5 tire from free to a Spec tire, with the Spec tire to be determined by the National Staff based on negotiations with tire manufacturers.

5. Allow aftermarket suspension links in GTC3, GTC4, and GTC5 as long as they maintain the same geometry as stock and do not allow different suspension settings.

6. Allow GTC3 996 motors to be rebuilt using 997 Cup heads.

Last edited by TwentySix; 09-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

4. I am ok with a spec tire setup as long as we can get tires within the spec choice designed for Watkins Glen and Daytona along with the regular tracks. I am sure that (Michelin & Yokohama would love this offer) Continentals do not last very long so price better be a good deal.

5. Suspension links are fine.

6. Not sure I know enough about the differences in the heads to go either way. 996 parts are getting harder to find.

7. I think that to get a GTC3 Sticker on your car, your motor should be checked to ensure that it is a 3.6l before being giving a Classification. This could easily be done. Now that would be a great rule.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm curious about the origins of these suggestions, and also (5) how much benefit one would get from monoballs and (6) whether 997 Cup heads will offer a notable advantage over 996 heads (so that we'll all want them).
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The word on the street is that the 997 cup heads are worth 15hp. I'm using them in my engine build, along with other 997 mods to the intake/exhaust.

The intakes would need to be port matched thought as the 997 ports are significantly larger. I don't know if there would be any advantage of the 997 head if you didn't make any changes to a 996 intake/exhaust.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nmercier853
7. I think that to get a GTC3 Sticker on your car, your motor should be checked to ensure that it is a 3.6l before being giving a Classification. This could easily be done. Now that would be a great rule.
I don't know about checking before each race but something more has to be done on the scrutineering side for sure. I remember several cars getting popped a couple of years ago but not so much lately and I know first hand that some of the "spec" motors aren't spec.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't like the spec tire - they should stay free. Creates some competiton between the mfg. to provide a tire at a reasonable price. This seems to be a way for PCA to set spec tire, get a sponsor ($ to them) who will sell the spec tire and then let the user pay more for slicks. @ $1,900 per set the Michelins are pretty pricey now! What if you have no choice - what would they charge? What if you can't get spec tire, then you can't run another option?

Seems the focus should be keeping the motors/tranny and suspension's uniform and not worry about what tire you run. As long as everyone has access to the same tires you have choices and a level playing field and that is what GTC is all about.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
Seems the focus should be keeping the motors/tranny and suspension's uniform and not worry about what tire you run. As long as everyone has access to the same tires you have choices and a level playing field and that is what GTC is all about.
Agree. We need Harry Hall (?) back, he used to check engines for displacement. ALL GTC3 cars need to be tested next year.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MY VIEW:

4. Change the GTC3, GTC4, and GTC5 tire from free to a Spec tire, with the Spec tire to be determined by the National Staff based on negotiations with tire manufacturers.

NO - AS ALREADY STATED, ELIMINATES COMP IN TIRE MANUFACTURERS PRICING STRUCTURE.
MAYBE - IF THERE IS A PCA NEGOTIATED DISCOUNT SINCE WE WOULD BE FORCED TO BUY A SPEC TIRE.

5. Allow aftermarket suspension links in GTC3, GTC4, and GTC5 as long as they maintain the same geometry as stock and do not allow different suspension settings.

YES

6. Allow GTC3 996 motors to be rebuilt using 997 Cup heads.
NO - REBUILD A GTC3 CAR WITH GTC4/5 PARTS?? THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Scott.

4) No - Choice in tires keeps the mfrs. hungry working on better compounds & keeps them price competitive(Michelin needs some help in this dept....)

5) Yes

6) No - Parts aren't "993 3.8 Cup" hard to get yet(& probably never will be due to overall production numbers). This maybe necessary at some point down the road but isn't now imho.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Dang Jay didn't think you came around these parts much anymore, hope all is well! How's the Spec Boxster thing going?

4) I agree that competition will make for better tires and prices, so no spec tire.

5) I'd rather not go with the aftermarket links because it takes the car away from stock, also not allowed to be changed if you want to run SCCA GT2, which requires the car to be as configured from the factory (but for some safety items, etc)*

6) This is just not the right way to go with this, it's a factory race car and I want to preserve the car and it's value (yeah, yeah) this too will make it illegal for SCCA competition... if you want to throw those heads in that's what the GT classes are for, right?

From the 2011 SCCA GCR*

*Cars must be prepared in accordance with the appropriate model/year Porsche factory 911 GT3
Cup parts catalog/service manual. Cars may not be altered in any way except as authorized below.
Updating and backdating is allowed after the factory Vehicle Technical Specifications (VTS) document
is updated and approved. Drivers must have the correct year manuals as they apply to their
specific car in their possession. Safety, drivers comfort, driver control and instrumentation items
may be modified per the GCR. Original factory installed Matter/IMV roll cages are allowed. The
stock unmodified fuel tank is allowed. Side door windows must be removed and windshield clips
must be installed per GCR 9.3 Windshield Clips/Rear Window Straps. All other SCCA safety standards
apply. The following additional modifications are authorized: Alternate hood provided it is a
facsimile of the stock part. Any wheel, including 5 bolt (and the required 5 bolt modification to the
hubs) provided they do not exceed 18x9 F and 18x11 R. Tires per GCR. Battery size and location
is unrestricted. Shocks are unrestricted but they shall be installed in the stock locations with the
stock, unmodified pick up points. Any suspension settings are allowed provided they are achieved
without modifications. Machining of suspension components and pick up points to achieve caster/
camber/toe is not allowed. Lubricants, consumable fluids (brake fluid, coolant etc.) and oil filters
are open free. Modifications listed in Grand Am, IMSA Cup, World Challenge or any other rules,
except those listed above, are specifically not allowed.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Good point about SCCA and keeping the car original.

EVERYONE needs to send emails with their opinions, forums posts don't count.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nmercier853
Originally Posted by PedroNole
I don't know about checking before each race but something more has to be done on the scrutineering side for sure. I remember several cars getting popped a couple of years ago but not so much lately and I know first hand that some of the "spec" motors aren't spec.
Originally Posted by analogmike
Agree. We need Harry Hall (?) back, he used to check engines for displacement. ALL GTC3 cars need to be tested next year.
What were they doing to check displacement? Do you guys think if there was a way to protest another competitor it would inspire more conformity to the rules?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Tires should be free (I run Michelin's on my car), everything else stock.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Mark GT3
Instructor

I followed my post up with an email to Walt suggesting not to change anything in 2012. My email also suggested there needed to be more emphasis on ensuring engines are within the current rules.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have updated news on a tire spec for 2012?

Quick Reply: PCA 2012 Proposed Rules Changes in GTC