Sponsored by:

Quaife Sequential Gear Box by Parr Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Chris Berlin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife Sequential Gear Box by Parr Motorsport

Can anyone share experience with their "newly" developed sequential gear box? They state that it is a direct replacement item for a 997 cup. Considering Porsche prices for the rebuilt of an original 997 Cup gear box I am thinking of investing into their gear box. Rumors in Germany are that quite a few endurance racing teams are / will be trying out their new gear box. I would appreciate any and all comment. Thank you in advance, Chris
Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its anything like there last sequential box for the porsche application, 996 i think, that i used on a 993 gt2 it will have chocalate gears that rip all the teeth off. it was rated to 450/500lb/ft torque. only heard bad things about the old boxes. the quality has been lost from years ago.
i wouldnt swap unless i hear great things about this new box from quite a few people.
parr might have had success with this box in road cars? id like to here off people who have raced with these.
im sticking with the hollinger until futher notice lol.

regards mark
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Info also appreciated...

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a thread from last year when this box came up.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...20k-range.html
One of the major concerns brought up at that point was legality. Unless something has changed, I still don't think it's PCA legal. Has it been ACO homologated in the last year?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Chris Berlin
AutoX

Default Thank you for the "old" thread

It is interesting to see that this has been an issue in the US for quite some time. The race series I run my 2009 Cup car in would allow an exchange of the gear box if the gearing matches the standard Cup setup. The only thing I can not clarify is the reliability issue. Supposedly many teams have been running the gear box in endurance races but I have not been able to find someone that actually can provide first hand experience. One of the local technicians even has stated that Porsche was running Quaife's gear box in the 24-hour race on the Nuerburgring this year in the 997 Hybrid car. Again: only a rumor and no one to put in first hand experience... :-(
Thank you for all and any comment, Chris
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
avader906
Instructor

You should call up Parr and speak directly with Paul or Lawrence.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris Berlin
One of the local technicians even has stated that Porsche was running Quaife's gear box in the 24-hour race on the Nuerburgring this year in the 997 Hybrid car. Again: only a rumor and no one to put in first hand experience... :-(
I think they were running the new RSR gearbox from Hor in that car, as they have been in most of the factory affiliated vehicles over the last year. I can probably find out for sure. I'll make a few inquiries over the next week or two, but it might take me a little bit of time given the holidays.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
karlleonard
Banned

I drive for parr in the uk this year and can ask Paul robe for you guys...! To say that the works Porsche hybrid ran that box is total bollox... Ha ha ...!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
dass
Instructor

Any feed back on the upgraded Quaffe gearbox.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by karlleonard
To say that the works Porsche hybrid ran that box is total bollox... Ha ha ...!
That was the answer that came back to me. I premised my question with,"I already know the answer to this question but..." I was asking what I knew was a stupid question to start with.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
dass
Instructor

What the............
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
dass
Instructor

I was looking for feedback on the new gearbox . Has anybody driven a cupcar with one installed.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Chris Berlin
AutoX

Finally I met someone that actually drove a 996 cup in the German Rally Championship and tried out the Parr gearbox hoping for the best. Bad news: the first gear box fell apart internally, the second had a major crack through the full length of the housing. Both failures led to DNF and a rather frustrated customer. It seems to be impossible to find someone racing their cup car and being happy....
Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Chris Berlin
AutoX

Thumbs up Thank you for your input

I am happy to ,finally meet' someone that is using the Parr gearbox on the race track and has first hand experience! @Selcuk: have you serviced any of the gearboxes yet? How was your experience with Parr's service?
Any reply on this issue is highly appreciated! This gearbox is an alternative to the overpriced and not really bulletproof gearbox provided by Porsche.
Thank you in advance, Chris
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Selcuk
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris,
We are going to rebuild the Cup Car's gearbox within next 2-3 weeks for the coming season. I guess the tuner ordered two "service repair kits" from Parr . We took great care about changing the gearbox's oil and opening the case right after the race weekend. Every single time, we were amazed about the condition of the gears and the clearences between all gears are almost same everytime. But making a detailed service/repair is must as you already know. I ll let you know about the details after the service. The 2 main reasons about making Quaife bulletproof is (informed by the Peak's owner) ; the case of the gearbox is only 2 pieces and all turning gears are in one part of the case. Not like multipiece Porsche Motorsport gearbox. This makes it more solid when the transmission temperature gets too high. Also the gears which are turning in non twisted area prevents them potential damage. The other thing which I am not very sure about (it is said to us from Parr) is ; all internal parts of the gearbox is exposed to some kind of ray light which makes them %25-30 stronger. Just want to inform that I am not a knowledged man about tecnical things. I am just writing what is told to me. As for the other cars that using the very same Quaife sequential gearbox ; they are mainly used on the streets and the internals are so clean that almost new.

Cheers,

Last edited by Selcuk; 04-15-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Quaife Sequential Gear Box by Parr Motorsport