Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

996 Cup Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice Ivo! Seems you, Flowbe and I will make it 3 new cup board members this week!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Yesterday was my first day in the Cup. What a thrill. All the sounds, rattles and vibrations are just so cool and intimidating. The car handles not that different from a street car i have to say. Basic balance is the same to me. Big difference is the acceleration, the grip and easiness of turning in and out. All is even more pin point precision and razor sharp steering and balance. Weight difference is immediately clear when accelerating and braking and just love these gear ratios.

Had to replace a front damper quickly so no real set up checks and also running on 3 year old slicks so was taking it a bit easy. Nest step is working on the set up of the car (shocks, alignment, tires) to go faster and faster.

In this lap i did a 1:57 on old tires. Fastest lap on my street car on slicks was a 1:59. In this session I had to lift before the straight. This was to avoid being blacked flagged for too much noise. I still have the original Carrera Cup exhaust of 103Db. 90 was the max that day. Also a weird BMW move that cost me a couple of seconds. I guess a 1:54 should be possible soon.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Wow Ivo you look pretty comfortable there already - very nice. That BM panicked badly!
But downshifts look easier than before, are they?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Much easier
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 on the new ride... Love that track!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Q: I should have the 996 Cup air lance soon. What's the way to go with the compressed air bottles for not too much money. Can i also buy a used set of scuba tanks ?

Q: When changing wheels when alone and no help to press the brake pedal. Thought of making a simple device (bar) to press the brakes and wedge it between pedal and seat slider for example. Any thoughts / suggestions / examples ?

Q: Can you rebuild the bleu axles (Krytox) and therefore extend their life span or is the metal that wears out (after 50 hours ?) the decisive factor ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Ivo I'm also looking at bottles - apparently the scuba option will likely not last a full race day

This thread is worth a read .... Good threads keep on giving

Especially re 1. Transporting Nitrogen - remove reg and put on steel cap
2. T splitter for high and low pressure ie low for removing wheels, hi for jacks - thanks Clay!
3. N is less likely to bring water/corrosion issues I think

Re the other question, I think this would work ...
Truck brake depressor
but maybe something that puts pressure on front of seat instead of wheel is better ..
like this

Last edited by HiWind; 10-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
Q: I should have the 996 Cup air lance soon. What's the way to go with the compressed air bottles for not too much money. Can i also buy a used set of scuba tanks ?

Nitrogen bottle with dual regulator for high pressure air wand and low pressure air tools

Q: When changing wheels when alone and no help to press the brake pedal. Thought of making a simple device (bar) to press the brakes and wedge it between pedal and seat slider for example. Any thoughts / suggestions / examples ?

break wheels loose with air ratchet1/2 inch drive or on ground in gear with large breaker bar, same for torquing them.

Q: Can you rebuild the bleu axles (Krytox) and therefore extend their life span or is the metal that wears out (after 50 hours ?) the decisive factor ?

Just make sure they have fresh grease, never had a half shaft fail in 12 cup cars with lots and lots of miles, curbs etc... Included

Thanks a lot in advance
Enjoy the new ride!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q&A

Thanks a lot in advance
For changing the wheels - the crew loosens them on the ground - jacks them up; removes them, puts on the new ones, tightens; then lowers. They use a wheel chock when alone to torque.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
HiWind
Race Car

hey Ivo - I hope you don't mind but this thread seems the perfect home for this pic ... blue is the cup's speed, red the RS (both slicks)

which is called "Learning to Drive ... Again!"

Matched my best 6RS time first day out in the cup - so no complaints ... was a bit concerning the first 5 or so laps where my times were 6 sec off!!! ... but slowly came right as it dawned that you need to carry the corner speed and keep the revs much higher in the mkI cup than in my (:sob former RS with vario cams and a fresher engine. But in 6 mos or so I'm sure a 3.9 mahle will have found its way to me Until then the 200kg weight saving, way later braking points and stiff and creakless tub (nice with a real 20 point welded cage) are my compensation

So until then .. time to learn to really drive! Anyone else made this leap back/forward?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Another new2cups question:
Is it bad to find Grease breathing out the rear wheel? Looks like a spray onto wheel ...
Is the breathing normal, ok but not great or bad news?

Last edited by HiWind; 11-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

You're done. Welcome to the club.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Hey Nizer - that was a classic Kimi moment no doubt ... made perfect sense too!
But your comment isn't quite clear to me sorry - Are your referring to my grease question?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

drive shaft grease ? Check the rubber housings on both ends of both shafts. most likely one or more of them have been ripped open. If so, it's not good and you should get them checked and if not too late, repacked. You should avoid a broken drive shaft at any time.

Someone i know had one, not so long ago :-(

Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Hey Nizer - that was a classic Kimi moment no doubt ... made perfect sense too!
But your comment isn't quite clear to me sorry - Are your referring to my grease question?
No. OP getting Cup.

Quick Reply: 996 Cup Rookie