Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Potsche Racing - whats the path?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
LBF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potsche Racing - whats the path?

Hi, I am new to this board and a racing wannabe in training. I am in POC and have my TT license. I drive a 76 chassis/993 body style/997 cup motor car. I have the bug big time and am trying to understand my racing options going forward. I live in so cal and plan on getting my racing license in POC. What other porsche racing options are there? How do I know when I'm ready for a real cup car, rather than just the motor? What are my options? What would I look for when I am ready? How do I maximize my learning and development on the track while keeping costs this side of the stratosphere? I vastly underestimated the operating costs of track support, tires, transport, accrued mechanical costs, etc. Im assuming a cup car will involve more costs than I have now but I'm not sure what to expect. It seems like I average about $7k a weekend total costs including accruals. The costs are not the most important thing, just part of helping me understand how much track time I can get. Any thoughts, no matter how rambling, could help. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would post this in the Racing and DE section, will have more see it and should get alot of knowledgeable responses

For me the best way was via PCA club racing. they have a very nice set way at each club race to get your rookie lic, check their website

your only problem there will be classing your car

good luck hope to see ya out there!!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

^agree

In SoCal you have the POC and PCA Porsche clubs with POC having more events than the PCA, there's also NASA and probably SCCA. For more practice track time consider also groups like Speed Ventures.

It wouldn't be a big leap for you to get into a 996 cup and it will most likely be easier to drive than your current car. 6Cups are tough, reliable, well sorted purpose built race cars. There are also many race support groups with significantly different pricing so shop around...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I am a new POC Licensed Racer, just got rid of my Red Dot (provisional) in April. POC is a great way to go. The drivers are extremely competitive and respectful.
I would continue with POC, go to their cup school, and hire a driving coach.
You will know when to go to a cup car after your driving skills exceed your current car's ability (which sounds like a beast!)
Get in with one of the shops that go to all the events. Track support is a must if you don't want your weekend experience ruined with mechanical issues.

Once you get up to speed with POC and want more events, then branch out to PCA Club racing, SSCA, and or NASA.
You are currently in the best case scenario with POC.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the process in detail further.

Best,

Eric
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your numbers are about right whether its a 996/997 cup or your cup. Tire cost may increase with the 997 cup and maintenance costs will rise too with the sequential, but nothing crazy like many write online about.

Biggest cost in this sport is tires and if you want to be competitive in racing figure at least 1 set per weekend and if you want to try to win a championship figure at least 2 sets per weekend.

Track support is the same no matter what car porsche race car you have.

If you plan on doing arrive and drive for far events (miller, cota, laguna, thunderhill....) your costs per weekend will jump a few grand due to higher transport costs.

"you will go faster, because your wallet will be lighter!"
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
LBF
Intermediate

Sounds like POC is the way to go. I am doing a TT at chuckwalla in mid October with the PCA as well. I like the advice of taking my car to the limit before contemplating a change. Thanks for the insights,
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

time to start looking for a 996 Cup car....
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
boothkc
Advanced

I figure "well North" of $1000/h to run my '08 997 Cup excluding any capital money costs and support.

Assume an engine will last 100h (generous) at $30k/rebuild and trans is good for 50h at $15k that puts you at $600/h for engine and gear box reserves.

Tires are >$2000 and at least 1 set/ weekend or 2-3h max (round that to $5-600/hr alone).

Blue axels $6k and 25-50h ($125/hr)

Fuel 22g/hr $8/gal = $176/hr

Brakes depends alot on kind and use, but pads are $1k/set and rotors $2k and may replaced every 2-3 sets of pads which looks to be 2-3x/season....yikes = $300/h or so.

We are now at almost $1800/hr w/o any service or fluid changes not to mention the other stuff that needs attention and periodic replacement.

If you run in a competitive series like Pirelli Cup you will need 3 (maybe 2) sets of tires or you will be at the back. "Fancy" track support from one of the major support teams runs around $8500/wknd for arrive and drive level of support. Entry fees for that series alone run about $3k up to $10k (F1 at COTA) per weekend.

In the beginning you will really need pro level mechanical and engineering (data) support to keep from ruining the car and learning how to drive it. Engineers usually get $500/day to run the numbers.

It is very easy to burn $15k+ for a weekend at a competitive venue/series w/o damage. At a less competitive even (PCA or SCCA) one set of tires and less support may result in a high level of fun, and I budget about $5-6k for those plus engine and gear box reserve costs.

This is my realistic experience. Hope it helps!

KB
Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 PM
mobonic
Drifting

^ booth is pretty dead on.

Those who will argue this don't have or have never had a 997 cup.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
time to start looking for a 996 Cup car....
TCS, only a 997 cup will do for you.. just bite the bullet and save yourself some $$

Once you climb into and run a 997 cup, nothing else will do.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LBF
How do I maximize my learning and development on the track while keeping costs this side of the stratosphere? I vastly underestimated the operating costs of track support, tires, transport, accrued mechanical costs, etc. Im assuming a cup car will involve more costs than I have now but I'm not sure what to expect. It seems like I average about $7k a weekend total costs including accruals.
"What part of Porsche racing did you think was going to be inexpensive, the Porsche part or the racing part?" GB
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 AM
LBF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boothkc
I figure "well North" of $1000/h to run my '08 997 Cup excluding any capital money costs and support.

Assume an engine will last 100h (generous) at $30k/rebuild and trans is good for 50h at $15k that puts you at $600/h for engine and gear box reserves.

Tires are >$2000 and at least 1 set/ weekend or 2-3h max (round that to $5-600/hr alone).

Blue axels $6k and 25-50h ($125/hr)

Fuel 22g/hr $8/gal = $176/hr

Brakes depends alot on kind and use, but pads are $1k/set and rotors $2k and may replaced every 2-3 sets of pads which looks to be 2-3x/season....yikes = $300/h or so.

We are now at almost $1800/hr w/o any service or fluid changes not to mention the other stuff that needs attention and periodic replacement.

If you run in a competitive series like Pirelli Cup you will need 3 (maybe 2) sets of tires or you will be at the back. "Fancy" track support from one of the major support teams runs around $8500/wknd for arrive and drive level of support. Entry fees for that series alone run about $3k up to $10k (F1 at COTA) per weekend.

In the beginning you will really need pro level mechanical and engineering (data) support to keep from ruining the car and learning how to drive it. Engineers usually get $500/day to run the numbers.

It is very easy to burn $15k+ for a weekend at a competitive venue/series w/o damage. At a less competitive even (PCA or SCCA) one set of tires and less support may result in a high level of fun, and I budget about $5-6k for those plus engine and gear box reserve costs.

This is my realistic experience. Hope it helps!

KB
That's a very thorough breakdown. Informative and sobering
Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

50 hours on a tranny is pushing your luck.

Quick Reply: Potsche Racing - whats the path?