Sponsored by:

Trailer for 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Trailer for 996 Cup

Just wanted to get everyone's general opinion. I recently upgraded from a 996 GT3 to a 996 GT3 Cup and was wondering what the cup owners out there thought about trailers. I am on the market for an open trailer but wanted to know the best trailer for the cup. In particular my concern is about loading and unloading. The cup is significantly lower to the ground than my street car was. What is the best trailer for a very low cup car?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a 3/4T American pickup with a diesel.

Get an aluminum 28' boat-tail tag trailer and a set of ramps. You'll want a winch also.

Get a stabilizing hitch setup (Equalizer is a good one).

Thank me later.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM
996ttime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 3/4T American pickup with a diesel.

Get an aluminum 28' boat-tail tag trailer and a set of ramps. You'll want a winch also.

Get a stabilizing hitch setup (Equalizer is a good one).

Thank me later.

Plus 1
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM
KaiB
Banned

Something I've finally done this year is loose the 15" ST (Load Range D) tires and purchase a set of 16" wheels with proper LR-E LT tires.

Too many miles on too many hot days at 79mph to worry about tires.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

ATC and gold rush make great trailers. Featherlite too.

They have dovetails that help in the height issue.

West coast TPD makes a low height trailer
Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Get an enclosed. You'll be hauling loads of gear and spares. Get the 2pc Race Ramps. The longest ones they sell off-the-shelf. You'll probably still have to remove the splitter before you load the car. Be sure to have a winch on the trailer. A high-quality, heavy duty one. No sense burning up your clutch to get it loaded onto the trailer. Splurge on the wireless remote for it. Get an Irvan-Smith tire cart with the nitrogen bottle rack. I had them custom make mine (shorter) so that it comfortably fit 2 sets of tires while loading side-ways into the trailer (perpendicular to the long axis of the trailer), and use shoring beams to position it between the rear gate and the car. Get an awning or, at least, an E-Z-Up. I hate to be working on a car in the hot summer sun.

Read "My Trailer Diary" in the Racing & DE forum for more tips and ideas.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on enclosed + winch + tire rack + custom long RaceRamps. I love my CargoPro (Thule) trailer. Light and strong.
I also figure it could serve as an apt if my wife ever finds out how much this sport really costs.......

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 609 Likes on 298 Posts

When I went from my 993 to the 996 Cup Car all I had to change was the ramps due to how low Cup is with splitter, 20 foot Express enclosed pulling with a Ford Eco-Boost 150 Crew Cab, now using Brute Industry Race Ramps model #TR11
Rich
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not ready for an enclosed trailer just yet. Anyone out there using an open trailer for their Cup?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
Unfortunately I'm not ready for an enclosed trailer just yet. Anyone out there using an open trailer for their Cup?
You could use an open trailer but the cups are not water tight. I use a my13 Cayenne GTS towing a Trailex enclosed with little effort even in high wind.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
I occasionally pulled my 6-cup on my Featherlite 3110 but it was a pain in the *** to load. You really need to park the trailer wheels in a ditch or facing a severe downhill and use long ramps. Once it's up it's an easy pull, I hauled mine to Miller from So Cal without issue.

It really is a better solution to use an enclosed trailer with a deep dovetail and always use a wench regardless of closed or open. That clutch/pressure plate just doesn't like that much slipping of the clutch. Also I fill the fronts to 40lb, and lower the rears to 20 when loading/unloading to save the splitter....
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Question

Originally Posted by KaiB
Something I've finally done this year is loose the 15" ST (Load Range D) tires and purchase a set of 16" wheels with proper LR-E LT tires.

Too many miles on too many hot days at 79mph to worry about tires.
Kai where did you end up buying the rims/tires from and which rims? Need to do this....
Old 04-19-2014, 05:56 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Kai where did you end up buying the rims/tires from and which rims? Need to do this....
JR, I got a package deal from my local "Big O" (regional tire store) center.

They got the same standard aluminum multi-hole (telephone dial kind) wheel we all have and installed their 16"LT (load range E) tire...a good one.

I almost pulled the trigger for the wheels and Bridgestone tires on-line (easy to find), but would have then paid for mounting. The kicker was the free service on the trailer - and they'll wash it while it's there also.

My budget is tight again this year, and this cost me essentially a set of race tires, but I'm now very glad I did it. I run 79mph and the summer roads are hot.

I won't worry this year at all.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KaiB
JR, I got a package deal from my local "Big O" (regional tire store) center.

They got the same standard aluminum multi-hole (telephone dial kind) wheel we all have and installed their 16"LT (load range E) tire...a good one.

I almost pulled the trigger for the wheels and Bridgestone tires on-line (easy to find), but would have then paid for mounting. The kicker was the free service on the trailer - and they'll wash it while it's there also.

My budget is tight again this year, and this cost me essentially a set of race tires, but I'm now very glad I did it. I run 79mph and the summer roads are hot.

I won't worry this year at all.
Last 2 questions... what width rims (7's?), and which tire manufacture gave you the best deal?....

PS: You can drive 80 now.....
Old 04-19-2014, 09:00 PM
KaiB
Banned

Rims are 6" and Tire Rack has the tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=275R6R500HD

Had I not used our local store, I'd have purchased the wheels from any one of about four easy on-line sources. Deals were around $105 each...all rated for the increased pressures required by the LRE tires.

Quick Reply: Trailer for 996 Cup