996 cup or 997 cup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts
Default 996 cup or 997 cup?

Obviously quite different cars. I'm stepping out of a 996 GT3 that is as "cup" as you can go without slicks, weight reductions and close ratio gearbox. In Australia, 996 cups are 50-60K, 997.1 are 65-90k. In my heart I prefer the old school feel and simplicity of the 996 with its H pattern gearbox and from what I've been told, it's an easier car to manage by yourself at the track?

I'm not necessarily concerned about which is quicker as both will be substantially quicker than my GT3. I don't want to mention the words "cost effective" in this forum because I know it doesn't exist with these cars but thing that puts me off the 7.1 is that sequential gearbox and the upkeep associated with that. Otherwise are there any other major differences between the cars from a running and up-keep perspective that I'm missing?

This car will see "open" track days and hopefully some state level racing involving short races of 10-15 minutes duration. On the whole though, probably no more than 10-15 days per year.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

7 cup
Less money more parts
Add blipped and go drive...
Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
7 cup
Less money more parts
Add blipped and go drive...
Would you mind elaborating more on the less money part Glen? As in the replacement parts and consumables?
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Would you mind elaborating more on the less money part Glen? As in the replacement parts and consumables?
Purchase price on a $/hp is lower.

Cars a real race car ie sequential and no abs.

Parts are relatively inexpensive. And of cours, available.

Lots of good examples out there, many more 7's than 6's...

Can get you into some great early 7's 80-95k
Late 7's 110-135 for great examples

6's 65- 110

That being said I've got 3 miatas,2 6 cups, 1 7 cup and a ptg m3 gts2/3 car....so I've got issues.

The 6's are ex vanoverbeek first g&w/flying lizard speed vision car, the other is Carl Akins 1 of2 guards red from the factory....it's just stupid at this point, 3.8 gt3r intake big wing big rubber etc...

Hope that helps, any additional questions don't hesitate to ask, will be glad to answer here.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

997.1 Cup. Add ABS and paddle shift.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Try to find a good, well maintained fresh 996 Cup and do at least one season with that car.
It will save you the absurd Holinger rebuild costs that are very unpredictable especially when you buy a car with a used box. No matter what the previous owner will tell you, you can never be sure unless you open a box and have it inspected by an expert. I have seen pro drivers ruin boxes after 5 hrs. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't.

The 996 Cup can be driven almost as fast as a GenI 997 Cup in the right hands.
Use the time and save some money to develop your own driving skills.
I am still developing even after 3 years of 996 Cup. Still improving lap times every year.

Then when you feel you're ready, in 2 years or so,
You'll be able to sell your 996 Cup with a nice profit. For sure. As they become super rare and wanted.
Then move to 991 Cup. Skip the whole 997 Cup generation.

In 2 years you'll be able to get a 991 Cup for less then 100,000 Euro.
You'll be able to sell your last generation, fresh 996 Cup for at least 75,000 Euro.

991 Cup = rev limited engine so no over revs, no miss shifts, auto throttle blip, etc etc etc,

Last but not least is maybe most important:
Where are you going to drive, with whom and is there some competition to be expected ?
I am lucky to race in a very competitive series with a special 996 Cup class that has always around 10 other completely equal 996 Cups.
That's racing and that's what it is all about. Driving alone all the time in 3.8 GenII 997 Cup because you're the only one in your class is getting boring pretty soon.
Find the class and car with the most competition.

;-)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Purchase price on a $/hp is lower.

Cars a real race car ie sequential and no abs.

Parts are relatively inexpensive. And of cours, available.

Lots of good examples out there, many more 7's than 6's...

Can get you into some great early 7's 80-95k
Late 7's 110-135 for great examples

6's 65- 110

That being said I've got 3 miatas,2 6 cups, 1 7 cup and a ptg m3 gts2/3 car....so I've got issues.

The 6's are ex vanoverbeek first g&w/flying lizard speed vision car, the other is Carl Akins 1 of2 guards red from the factory....it's just stupid at this point, 3.8 gt3r intake big wing big rubber etc...

Hope that helps, any additional questions don't hesitate to ask, will be glad to answer here.
That is some collection/addiction you have there Glen! Does the 996 cup not feel like a real race car? Sure seems it does from he YouTube videos I've seen. I think what appeals to me most about the 996 is that it has the most in common with the street car that I'm coming from (compared to the later cups and their street counterparts). I like the old school/classic feel that they present.

Originally Posted by Q&A
Try to find a good, well maintained fresh 996 Cup and do at least one season with that car.
It will save you the absurd Holinger rebuild costs that are very unpredictable especially when you buy a car with a used box. No matter what the previous owner will tell you, you can never be sure unless you open a box and have it inspected by an expert. I have seen pro drivers ruin boxes after 5 hrs. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't.

The 996 Cup can be driven almost as fast as a GenI 997 Cup in the right hands.
Use the time and save some money to develop your own driving skills.
I am still developing even after 3 years of 996 Cup. Still improving lap times every year.

Then when you feel you're ready, in 2 years or so,
You'll be able to sell your 996 Cup with a nice profit. For sure. As they become super rare and wanted.
Then move to 991 Cup. Skip the whole 997 Cup generation.

In 2 years you'll be able to get a 991 Cup for less then 100,000 Euro.
You'll be able to sell your last generation, fresh 996 Cup for at least 75,000 Euro.

991 Cup = rev limited engine so no over revs, no miss shifts, auto throttle blip, etc etc etc,

Last but not least is maybe most important:
Where are you going to drive, with whom and is there some competition to be expected ?
I am lucky to race in a very competitive series with a special 996 Cup class that has always around 10 other completely equal 996 Cups.
That's racing and that's what it is all about. Driving alone all the time in 3.8 GenII 997 Cup because you're the only one in your class is getting boring pretty soon.
Find the class and car with the most competition.

;-)
Thanks for your input! I have seen your car and videos, very inspiring! You transitioned from the street car yes? Thoughts on that experience when it was fresh? Whatever I buy, I'll be planning on keeping it for a number of years so I have to make the right decision. It remains to be seen whether 996 cars will ever go up in Australia but scarecity suggests they will. Even still, if I wanted an investment id keep the street car and bubble wrap as they're certainly moving upwards a lot more over here at the moment. I want to use this thing! Which brings me to my next question, does the 996 age and lack of availability of spares truly hamper ones ability to use the car properly? I would be racing in a class called sports cars, this includes a couple of 997.1s and 2s and also a 996 cup, it would be a challenge keeping up with the 997s but I like a challenge. Priority is just to have fun first and foremost! Do you bring a tech to your race meets Q&A? Is this a car that needs wrenching after every single track outing + support at the track? BTW, I like your idea of a 991 down the track, seems like Porsche got their act together with the longevity on those things.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
997.1 Cup. Add ABS and paddle shift.
Interesting, I believe the paddle shift and ABS is in the vicinity of 15K on top of the purchase for these cars? Probably getting into the "too expensive" territory for me. I do realise that 996 can be just as expensive if stuff breaks though.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM
hms08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A paddle shift & bosch motorsport ABS for a 997 Cup will cost you more like Au$25k in Aus. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hms08
A paddle shift & bosch motorsport ABS for a 997 Cup will cost you more like Au$25k in Aus. Ask me how I know.
15K USD = approx 20K AUD so I was pretty close I guess . I've heard the paddle shift is well worth it though...
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Given the low hours and little competition you plan on doing, perhaps a 996 Cup would fit the bill nicely.

Look for a good one. It should serve you well.

If you were to do more racing, the 997.1 Cup with ABS and Paddles would be the ticket.
ABS saves tires and Paddles saves trannys.
Even better if you find a car that already has those parts installed.

Have you considered a Gen II cayman racer?
Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

996 Cup is nothing like the street car in feel. Its a real race car not a converted street car. The harder you drive it the faster it is and its as fast as early 997 Cups
Very demanding to drive fast but that's what makes it veryyyyy rewarding
Old 08-17-2016, 07:38 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Given the low hours and little competition you plan on doing, perhaps a 996 Cup would fit the bill nicely.

Look for a good one. It should serve you well.

If you were to do more racing, the 997.1 Cup with ABS and Paddles would be the ticket.
ABS saves tires and Paddles saves trannys.
Even better if you find a car that already has those parts installed.

Have you considered a Gen II cayman racer?
Thanks for the honest advice. Likely only about 3-4 race meets a year and the rest just track days. Cayman race cars aren't a thing here in aus as there is no spec series (we are deprived of privateer racing over here, especially in the state I live in). Is the Cayman your referring to a spec car like the boxter?

Originally Posted by Steve113
996 Cup is nothing like the street car in feel. Its a real race car not a converted street car. The harder you drive it the faster it is and its as fast as early 997 Cups
That sounds good to me and the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
So true. I kept complaining to my mechanic that the car was very twitchy and wanted to wander all over the track when I first got it. He told me to quit being a ***** and drive it hard. He was so right . The harder you drive it the better it is. And more importantly chicks dig 6 cups....
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
So true. I kept complaining to my mechanic that the car was very twitchy and wanted to wander all over the track when I first got it. He told me to quit being a ***** and drive it hard. He was so right . The harder you drive it the better it is. And more importantly chicks dig 6 cups....
I've had the opposite experience. The 6cup probably the easiest car that i have driven, not at all twitchy? But I was driving and racing 911's almost twenty years prior to the 6cup.

If your car is twitchy or very loose there is something not right. I drove a friends 6cup that had very stiff springs and It was a very nervous car to drive.
Are you running stock spring rates and shocks?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 PM
tbccrane993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a hint....

...2000 gt3 cup from supercup series...first cup for me, second year with it,
amazing machine...

Quick Reply: 996 cup or 997 cup?