Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Crash at Fontana - 6/2/05

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, my condolences go out to the family and relatives of the lost. I exchanged a few PMs with Ben and was shocked to hear the news. One of my co-workers here is a Ferrari driver and talked to some of his folks over there. Apparently what happened is that the track marshall waved a Challenge Stradale out of the pits and into the track. The Stradale driver hesitated, then the Marshal frantically tried to get him to stop--the driver didn't see the marshal and hammered the throttle, leading him right into the path of Ben's Carrera GT Traveling at over 150MPH.

Ben had to swerve to avoid the Ferrari, and as a result lost control of the car and crashed. I figured I would post this to try and let others make some sense of why and how this happened....it is indeed a sad and tragic loss, and hopefully lessons were learned from the track crew so that this kind of mistake never ever happens again.

Godspeed, Ben and Corey. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

God Bless and Godspeed...
Old 06-18-2005, 05:32 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

no, not at all. life is too short to wait for another $100k. besides, the last US allocation will be built in July of 05 (there will be no U.S. 06s). so, you may not see that further $100k drop for a very long time. (if you wait a year or two, you've also lost a year or two of warranty which could come in very handy on this beast). if you are an enthusiast as someone with a 993TT, Gallardo, and GT3 most likely is, there is no better automotive rush than the CGT.
-ben-

Life was too short for you Ben. I wish you hadn't lost your life in the car you enjoyed so much. Well wishes to Cory and Ben's family. Out of the times I have visited rennlist, there are only a few people I have remembered. Ben was one..........Godspeed
Old 06-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben was the absolute reason why I bought my CGT. He was nice enough to share very valuable insight in several private messages when I was still on the fence about selling the GT3 and Gallardo. Everything he told me was 100% correct. Life is indeed short and he made it clear to me that it is not a dress rehearsal. We go around one time and need to try and fulfill our dreams while enjoying the ride!! I think often about his outlook and it keeps me in check. I continue to look at the e-mails he and I shared which offer a constant reminder of his kindest and that he was indeed leaving his dreams. He inspired me...

Last edited by Polar Peter; 06-18-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:05 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even know what to say. I haven't been around Rennlist so much the last couple of months....I just checked it out this evening...of course my condolences go out to Ben's family and his passenger's.

Like already said before many times...finding out about this just made me sick to my stomach!

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Crash at Fontana - 6/2/05