Sponsored by:

What's The Real Story On CGT Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's The Real Story On CGT Maintenance

Knowledge is always a useful weapon. I've been hearing a lot of RUMORS on what maintainance costs are on the CGT and just wanted to get some facts established.

Could owners provide a sense of what the costs are for:

- Oil change - have heard ~1K
- Clutch - have heard $25K
- Pads - ??
- Rotors - ??
- Tires - have heard $1K for buying / mounting / balancing all tires

Any other maintenance items that bear mentioning?

Thx.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Sauron
Intermediate

Porsche Reading (the flagship dealer in the UK, part of Porsche UK itself) is quoting around £30,000 for a replacement clutch fully installed etc etc. This is NOT hearsay. My business partner and myself bought two GT3's from them in May and they gave us the coup on the CGT.

This CGT is pretty serious car!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1k for an oil change?

That can't be right....can it?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by m21sniper
1k for an oil change?

That can't be right....can it?
Yes it is. Apparently changing the oil is labor intensive. Also, tire life is around 2500 miles unless you are not using the car for what it was intended. That will run you close to $2000 which includes installation and balancing.

I also read that at some point the car will need a "value adjustment"(?) which will require a special technician possibly from Germany. The cost was astrononmical I believe in the area of $35,000.

You do not own this car if you are living paycheck to paycheck.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:46 PM
DMin
Instructor

And the scheduled oil changes occur at 15K, 45K, 75K etc. etc. miles.

I supose one could actually put 15,000 miles in a year on the car, but after that first oil change, you'd be set for 2 years.

Also, tire life is around 2500 miles unless you are not using the car for what it was intended. That will run you close to $2000 which includes installation and balancing.
Nick, if by this comment you mean running the car routinely on a racetrack, I'd respond by saying that 2500 miles on a single set of tires is pretty damned good. I drive mine like a CAR for the ROAD but I'm only at 1200 miles or so. I'll keep you updated on mile 2500 and how my tires look at that point.

I know Ben drove his car very aggressively and here is his post regarding his personal maintenance costs from 6speedonline [LINK]

pads are only $350/axle including dampers. however, book rate for changing the fronts is 2 hours!

tires are only $1435 (including shipping from tirerack), but the dealer gets 2.7 hours for mounting and balancing (they have a monopoly on the lift process). with any luck, your dealer will treat you better and cut you some major slack on the pad labor if you are getting tires put on at the same time since well over 75% of the 2 hour book rate is jacking the car and removing and retorquing the wheels. i've referred 4 CGT buyers to this dealer though so i don't know what it takes to get treated right.

i know of more than one person whose tires and brakes look like new after 4k miles though so i'm majorly an aboration. then again, my pads and tires on the stradale looked like new (save for scrubbing at the edge) after 1600 miles (1500 ish from me) and my 2nd set of pads on the CGT is looking cruddy after 1k miles already (first set made it 2500, but that obviously includes the break in), and this time i need all four pads. fwiw, i drove the stradale in the same manner i drive the CGT.

bottomline, it's doubtful you're gonna go through tires and brakes at remotely my rate and hopefully your dealer won't f you as mine is f-ng me when you do.

ps. this dealer quoted me 8 to 9 hours labor for changing oil!!!!! they said this has recently been adjusted downward (by how much who knows) since - owing to taking apart a CGT recently and knowing more about how it works. apparently we early guys are paying the training $ for the porsche mechanics PCNA has failed to train themselves.

daily drivability in my opinion is great w/ the exception of getting gas at certain stations with "V" swaled entrance/exits. truthfully though, i've not had that much trouble even with this issue.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick
I also read that at some point the car will need a "value adjustment"(?) which will require a special technician possibly from Germany. The cost was astrononmical I believe in the area of $35,000.
"value adjustment"?? That's happening as we speak, apparently. Or should it read "valve adjustment"? Does the CGT use hydraulic lifters or not?

Gary
Old 08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360
"value adjustment"?? That's happening as we speak, apparently. Or should it read "valve adjustment"? Does the CGT use hydraulic lifters or not?

Gary
Gary it should read valve and I do not know if it has hydraulic lifters. That is why I put the question mark after referencing it.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes it is. Apparently changing the oil is labor intensive. Also, tire life is around 2500 miles unless you are not using the car for what it was intended. That will run you close to $2000 which includes installation and balancing.
unless u take it to track otherwise those PS2 are street tires can last much longer than that. the car is not intended for US road use then.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

Gary it should read valve and I do not know if it has hydraulic lifters. That is why I put the question mark after referencing it.
"Valve actuation is performed by cup tappets without hydraulic valve clearance adjusters. Within the upper spring retainer there is a ground valve adjustment shim. Every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) the valve clearances must be checked and adjusted as necessary." - From the 2004 CGT Technik.

Given these cars won't be driven more than 5,000 miles per year, the first valve adjustment on a CGT will probably take place in 2009. Nick, with a new clutch every 5,000 miles or so, how much do you think your Ferrari will cost you between now and 2009?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
1958 Convertible D
Advanced

You do not own this car if you are living paycheck to paycheck.
I believe I've finally found something in Nick's comments that I agree with completely! For gosh sakes, it's an expensive car. Is anyone anticipating that the service costs are going to be equivalent to that of a Honda or Toyota?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Does anyone have the CGT Workshop Service Manuals? Normally there is nothing even remotely difficult about a valve adjustment but it does usually take a little time to pull everything off the car to get to them.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Woodster
Drifting

off topic:
love the new pic of the 58 cab and the Carrera GT side by side!
MK
Old 08-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

well now, this puts the idea of the Carrera GT as a daily driver completely out the window
Old 08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Big E
Racer

So I guess nobody is doing any of the work themselves, huh?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big E
So I guess nobody is doing any of the work themselves, huh?

Quick Reply: What's The Real Story On CGT Maintenance