Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the CGT ever fall below $200k

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GNX sold for about 29K new. I waited and was able to buy a couple in the next couple of years for low 20s they depreciated like most other cars.

However they began to rapidly appreciate a few years ago and I bought one a year ago with 540 miles from the original owner in AZ. for 42k. I have been offered 62K by two different guys so yes it is appreciating right now.

Perhaps a better yardstick for the CGT value may be the 94 turbo S and 97 turbo S. in 94 they made about 76 ROW 39 for NA. The 1997 S 176 were delivered to NA.

The 94s sold for mid 150s when new then dropped to mid 70s for a while now are selling for 110K to 120K.

The 97 S was also 150K or so new dropped to low 90s high 80s and nice unmolested original low mile ones are back to 120K or more. Relatively high mile cars are around 100K. Crappy ones mid 80s.

Now I fully realize that 39 1994 S cars and 176 1997 S cars are less than the 500 or so CGTs coming to NA. But IMHO it is critical to understand the 94 and 97 S cars were simply derivitives of the 911 series car. The CGT is a stand alone one time only model that does the quarter mile in 11.3 seconds and is the fastest production car Autoweek has yet to test. With a top speed over 200 MPH and mind boggling handling capability with state of the art fit and finish and technology. So that in my mind compensates for the higher build volume.

Yes they will depreciate. No one except Nick who CAN predict the future just ask him. LOL Can tell how low they will go before they stablize. My two cents.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Mosi
Track Day

Sorry to go off topic, but what is the Buick GNX ? (coming from the UK I've never heard of it)....it sounds an interesting car.

Has anyone got any piccies?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:05 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Ready for replacement in 1987, the Buick Regal was one of the last rear wheel driven cars produced by General Motors. Buick made sure that occasion of its replacement a new front wheel driven model did not go unnoticed. The Grand National performance version of the Regal had already been available, but for that last year Buick upped the ante even further. With the help of McLaren Engines, the Grand National was transformed in the GNX, one of the quickest cars produced in North America in the 1980s.

The turbocharged V6 of the Grand National was completely reworked by McLaren Engines. The turbo and intercooler were both upgraded and the engine's computer was reprogrammed. The four speed automatic gearbox received its own oil cooler. These modifications resulted in a stunning performance increase, bringing the boxy Regal on par with contemporary sports cars. Like for the Grand National, the GNX's top speed was electronically limited to 200 km/h.

Outwardly the changes were a little more subtly, with the bright 'GNX' badge in the blackened out grille as the only obvious change. Other changes included a power bulge on the engine cover, vents behind the front wheel arches and wider fenders. Customers had little choice in what their GNX would look like; it was available in any colour as long as it was black. Now where did we hear that before?

Production was limited to just 547 vehicles, which was still 47 over the intended number. Already a rare car in its day, the GNX is a collector's item today. Its turbo charged engine and boxy styling make it the icon of America's performance cars of the 1980s.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...=1&carnum=2302
Old 09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Mosi,

You can see mine on my website www.lasvegasclassiccars.com in my private collection section.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Les,

Nice site, with good information! What do you think was the all time classic muscle car?
For me it was the Dodge Daytonna Charger. In 1970, we had one around the neigbourhood, with flames on the side,& half a block down there was a Trans Am, and 4 doors down a Shelby Mustang. Those were the good old days!

Rob
Old 10-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I think the holy grail of muscle cars in terms of rarity and performance was the 1969 ZL-1 camaro. 427 cubic inches all aluminum block. Only 69 ever built. 41 known to exist with only 7 left having the factory original motor. One will be for sale at auction on October 15th but will be sold far out of my range. Probably 600K to 800K or more.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:02 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I think in 4-5 yrs the values will tank due to high maintenance costs and overproduction. In fact I don't see porsche even making them much beyond 2006. remember the 959 is truely a limited production supercar(for it's day), but one that could be maintained without a second mortgage.
of yesteryear's supercars, the 959 is one of the most expensive to maintain. there where two at andial when i was there last. b/c so few wre made, many of the critical wear items are nearly unobtainable. tires can only be sourced from one supplier and they're made in very small batches -- you basically buy allot of them at a time, as you may not see them again for years! andial had one that was rear-ended. they located a NOS piece in germany (that last known to exisit) and was quoted $75k! instead, they reproduced the part locally with carbon/kevlar like the orginal, and it still costs $25K. custom molds were created just to pop one piece out.

based on the f1, f40, f50 prices past and present, including numbers made. none of those cars lost much more than 30% of their value at their lowest low. i'l be surprised if cgts ever trade much below $300k
Old 10-03-2005, 12:55 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Les Quam
I think the holy grail of muscle cars in terms of rarity and performance was the 1969 ZL-1 camaro. 427 cubic inches all aluminum block. Only 69 ever built. 41 known to exist with only 7 left having the factory original motor. One will be for sale at auction on October 15th but will be sold far out of my range. Probably 600K to 800K or more.
Sounds like a great car for an investment, do you want split it?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fahren affair
based on the f1, f40, f50 prices past and present, including numbers made. none of those cars lost much more than 30% of their value at their lowest low. i'l be surprised if cgts ever trade much below $300k
This is the key comparison here, and I'm surprised nobody made it sooner; the CGT is most like the 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo in that it's a limited-production car with a lofty pricetag. Apples-to-apples, the F40's sticker was $349 but when it was introduced, people were paying as much as a million for it. Now, good F40s are trading in the high $300s, and there are something like 1400 F40s floating around right now. In other words, F40 prices should never go below original sticker price, especially given the rarity of the car. I think CGT is the same way; it'll stay in the mid-300 range. Might offend the speculators who paid way over sticker and were expecting high returns, but cars were never a sound investment anyway. Buy it because you love it, not because you expect to make money flipping it.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Marsman,
At those prices I get squeamish about owning a camaro. But it will be for sale at the Mecum auction in St. Charles IL. October 15th they take phone bids I would think?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Ferrari built the F40, F50, then the Enzo. I guess one might argue that the 959 was an effort comparable to the CGT, in terms of the level of technology and performance. But the 959 was offered a long time ago. My point is that I would not expect Porsche to create anything which tops the CGT anytime soon - maybe never. One reason I bought mine was that I felt pretty confident that a Carrera GT "S" would not appear soon - unlike Porsche's marketing strategy with its normal product line. I bought this car because I wanted it, and resale was not a major concern. However, I will be surprised if good CGT's (and down the road there will inevitably be some which cannot be so described) will ever be available without a 3 as a first digit.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N.
Ferrari built the F40, F50, then the Enzo. I guess one might argue that the 959 was an effort comparable to the CGT, in terms of the level of technology and performance. But the 959 was offered a long time ago. My point is that I would not expect Porsche to create anything which tops the CGT anytime soon - maybe never. One reason I bought mine was that I felt pretty confident that a Carrera GT "S" would not appear soon - unlike Porsche's marketing strategy with its normal product line. I bought this car because I wanted it, and resale was not a major concern. However, I will be surprised if good CGT's (and down the road there will inevitably be some which cannot be so described) will ever be available without a 3 as a first digit.
Car magazine is reporting that the Porsche sedan will have an optional 700 hp V10 CGt engine. Also they are predicting a front end very similar to the CGT.The cost of the car with all the options and big engine will be close to $150,000. With smaller engines around $120,000.

In other words, they will exploit the R&D of the CGT. It is not an criticism on my part but stating a fact. If their reporting is correct, then the value of the CGT will suffer.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:17 AM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
Car magazine is reporting that the Porsche sedan will have an optional 700 hp V10 CGt engine. Also they are predicting a front end very similar to the CGT.The cost of the car with all the options and big engine will be close to $150,000. With smaller engines around $120,000.

In other words, they will exploit the R&D of the CGT. It is not an criticism on my part but stating a fact. If their reporting is correct, then the value of the CGT will suffer.
I hope you are a better lawyer than you are a fortune teller!

If Porsche comes out with a 700hp sedan it won't hurt the value of the CGT a bit. Do you really think the S class mercedes hurt the value of the SLR? Do you think the M5 hurt the value of the Z8? They are all completely different cars and people buy them for completely different reasons. I would be happy if they used the engine in other cars as it would help keep prices of engine parts lower in the future.

On another note if Porsche creates a 600-700hp sedan I will be in line to buy one and sell my S600.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
DMin
Instructor

Ditto.

Well, except for the S600 part, since I don't own one!

D.Min
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I hope you are a better lawyer than you are a fortune teller!

If Porsche comes out with a 700hp sedan it won't hurt the value of the CGT a bit. Do you really think the S class mercedes hurt the value of the SLR? Do you think the M5 hurt the value of the Z8? They are all completely different cars and people buy them for completely different reasons. I would be happy if they used the engine in other cars as it would help keep prices of engine parts lower in the future.

On another note if Porsche creates a 600-700hp sedan I will be in line to buy one and sell my S600.
Even a look alike sedan?

FWIW, the SLR has not been the success MB had hoped for. Value wise it is headed in the direction of the CGT. As to why I am not sure. However I suspect a number of factors not the least of which is MB quality woes.

The Porsche sedan will be a winner.

Quick Reply: Will the CGT ever fall below $200k