Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
destaccado,
Hate to bust your bubble, but malplractice cases actually impact health costs very little. Obstetrics has the most cases and very high rates, but the cost of a delivery is still very low (less than $2,000 in most markets, including 14 office visits, and the unscheduled delivery)...<snip>AS
You're right... and you're wrong.

True, the specific "Obstetric Care and Delivery" fee may not have changed much. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

1. The reason that OB fees haven't increased much is because health insurance companies have a pre-set, pre-determined fee they'll pay. An obstetrician can charge a million bucks for OB care, but what's the point if the insurance company only pays $2,000?

And since insurance companies control access to patients, the obstetrician must either sign up to be included on the insurance companies' panels (and a condition of that contract is that he must accept as payment in full, whatever the insurance company's fee schedule is.) or lose a major chunk of his patient population.

So it's a little disingenuous to state that malpractice cases have impacted health care costs very little. The reason is that a third party gatekeeper has artificially restricted those costs.

2. The standard "Obstetric Care and Delivery" fee doesn't include all sorts of extra add-ons such as multiple sonograms, amniocentesis, genetic testing, consults with a Perinatologist, and an ever upward-spiraling Cesarean section rate - all common examples of practicing defensive medicine to reduce exposure to potential lawsuits.

To claim that health care costs haven't increased much because the standard "OB Care and Delivery" fee hasn't changed much is like claiming that the basic MSRP of your new Porsche is the price you actually pay to drive it out the door.

3. With ever increasing overhead - the largest portion by far of which is malpractice insurance - obstetricians are faced with a choice between a significant reduction in income or doing more and more deliveries to maintain income.

Most choose the second option. This leads to overwork, exhaustion, and major burn-out, which leads to prematurely leaving the field and retiring. The real down-the-road cost will be an ever dwindling supply of obstetricians to provide high-quality care for pregnant young women and their babies.

How do I know? I'm an Ob-Gyn, and a damn good one. I'm still a malpractice virgin after 27 years in private practice. I no longer do obstetrics. Haven't for years. I'll never go back. It's just not worth it anymore. And a whole bunch of my colleagues feel the same way.

*Back to your regularly-scheduled thread*
Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
If you want to pay whatever wage it will take to get a college age American to pick lettuce, then add in the benefit cost and union expense, nobody will buy a head of lettuce- at least not one grown here.
The "Lou Dobbs" figure that people are tossing around says that if the hourly rate was raised to $16USD/hr the price per head of lettuce would increase 10 cents.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
puppypilgrim
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dodge Vipers have never had traction or stability controls (aside from ABS)and despite being an ultra high horsepower car, doesn't seem to have the CGT's reputation of terminally low polar moments of inertia.

One would think all other things being equal, high horsepower cars with little electronic aids would injure less killed drivers whether they have a preference for American muscle or European ones. However, crashed Vipers don't seem to make the news as much as wrecked Enzos or CGTs.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
MANUAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by puppypilgrim
The Dodge Vipers have never had traction or stability controls (aside from ABS)and despite being an ultra high horsepower car, doesn't seem to have the CGT's reputation of terminally low polar moments of inertia.

One would think all other things being equal, high horsepower cars with little electronic aids would injure less killed drivers whether they have a preference for American muscle or European ones. However, crashed Vipers don't seem to make the news as much as wrecked Enzos or CGTs.
Imho, a Viper is a crude, relatively inexpensive, non-exotic car that has a reputation for trying to injure like an wild, venomous snake. If you try to tame it, you need your head examined. The news **** would shout, "No news for you!"

On the other hand, the CGT and Enzo are relatively expensive, exotic cars that promise to thrill without the spill. With their breeding and refinement, they lull you into lowering your defenses and, like your pet constrictor which you raised from a young age and thought you successfully tamed, they try to injure you one fine day. If you lowered your defenses, you need your head examined further than the Viper tamer, but on the bright side, "News for you!"
Old 01-16-2007, 04:58 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, how about this: My health insurance goes up every year, and doctors reimbursements go down every year....so, who is enjoying all the money??
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The president of United Healthcare All of BCBS, and the drug companies. AS
Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

amen!!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by icon
i remember once upon a time when this used to be the carrera gt forum!
I like your new avatar! I am getting a Caparo in the spring, I can't wait.

1000 lbs.
485 hp.

Sounds about right!

No stability management system!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
themarsman
Racer

Through Chad Mann at Mann Motor Company in Decatur, Georgia
Old 01-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I heard that this lawsuit was dismissed because the indemnity waiver was signed. Did I hear right? Or is this suit still in progress? I ask because I, along with a couple of other organizers, are discussing it. Thanks!

BW

Quick Reply: CGT lawsuit filed.