Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 AM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there you go Alexander, and whoever said that David didn't slew Goliath!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
As I understand it, several of the companies that make the carbon fiber do so for both the ZONDA and CGT carbon...

D-Schultz-
As you read this, I am looking for a BLACK/BLACK/BLACK Bugatti Veyron...
Horacio Pagani does his own CF work - its what he does, the cars are ancilliary to that.

R+C
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
thebigmboy
Advanced

I checked our 05 CGT and it doesn't seem to have any yellowing yet. We've got a little over 5k miles, i'll keep watching it to look for any symptoms. I'm sorry you have had such a problem. We had one of the first 996 TT and had the engine go out at 1500 miles, we collect older porsches and cars and we value the importance of original parts correlating serial numbers etc, we told porsche to compensate us for the replaced engine now non matching serial number and they did i believe to the extent of 5,000$, they need to step up and take care of you.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:54 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Interesting. My 996TT had a leaking block casting. Porsche replaced the engine, but denied any "mismatch" compensatiion. They said, "You bought an automobile, not rights to a collectible." Porsche's view of their warranty obligation was to replace the defective part. They did. I really thought they met their obligation.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Well I still have not heard anything from Porsche.... The CGT is on the showroom floor at Exotic Cars at Ceasars Palace...I spent the last couple of days specing out my new toy...let me know what you guys think...they where able to e-mail me photos of what she will look like:

Then some straight pipes, clear bra and an ECU tune before getting her home
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 AM
netburner
Instructor

Congrats!

When will she be delivered?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
carreragt558
Intermediate

[QUOTE=VRAlexander;4496640]Well I still have not heard anything from Porsche.... The CGT is on the showroom floor at Exotic Cars at Ceasars Palace...

Did you get my email?
Did you send an email to Mr Dieter Steinhauser?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 AM
D_Schultz
Instructor

I spent the last couple of days specing out my new toy...
Looks like a couple days well spent. Best wishes to you and your new vehicle! If you're ever somehow tooling about in the Chicago suburbs... hope you'll drop by and give me a ride.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by carreragt558
Did you get my email?
Did you send an email to Mr Dieter Steinhauser?
Would it be ok for other CGT owners with the same problem to also contact Mr. Dieter Steinhauser (AG General Manager of Motorsport Development)?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 AM
fayence
Instructor

The Bugatti will go faster, but you'll miss the GT big time. I've driven a Bugatti, it's awesome, but it's no Carrera GT.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sorry to hear about the probs with your CGT, not suprised at Porsche's response, and am absolutley drooling over your 253 mph beast. Way to forget it and move on to better things!!!

But I must ask, if at that performance level stock, ecu tuning would be essential, considering that it is the finest car on the planet (in one droolers opinion)
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Alexander, That is one gorgeous piece of Art.. I am excited for you and you truly deserve it.. If there was another machine that would make me forget the CGT, it would be exactly as you spec'd.. I am still looking forward to meeting up with you in Vegas.. Good choice, Kenny..
Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

In all these 10 pages of chat, has anybody considered that carbon fiber is a truely stupid material for a STREET car? AS
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
In all these 10 pages of chat, has anybody considered that carbon fiber is a truely stupid material for a STREET car? AS
Not even once! Because it might turn yellowish, that makes it a stupid material? Maybe steel shouldn't be used in cars because it rusts, or alluminum because it oxidises. I believe carbon fiber to be a fantastic material that works quite well on street cars, I have several cars that have many parts made from carbon fiber and haven't had any problems at all. I will bet you that you start seeing carbon fiber parts on virtually all cars in the next 10 years.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
themarsman
Racer

Well I still have not heard anything from Porsche.... The CGT is on the showroom floor at Exotic Cars at Ceasars Palace...I spent the last couple of days specing out my new toy...let me know what you guys think...they where able to e-mail me photos of what she will look like:

Then some straight pipes, clear bra and an ECU tune before getting her home

I think you might want to drive the car for a little bit before making ECU and exhaust mods. I really like your color combination! It is a lot nicer than one I saw recently at a car show!

Here is a pic of the horrible color!

Good Luck with the new car!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber