Sponsored by:

Another CGT Whoopsies...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:29 PM
yarin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another CGT Whoopsies...

Yet another example of why the average Joe shouldn't be allowed to buy a CGT without proper performance driving experience. I also believe that any street legal 600hp+ car should have some form of stability management. Anyway, i'm sure thats been debated over and over again. So here's my story:

I took my little 914 out for a drive on Long Ridge Road that crosses over the NY/CT border since the weather was gorgeous. Roads were a little damp, about 63 degrees. Came across this guy in a CGT that decided to drive over a rock wall. See pics here I didn't see any skid marks, not sure what happened. No idea if he lost control, or just drove straight off the road from talking on a cell phone.

The road is very windy, he came off a mild left hand downhill turn as seen in the pics. I drove by a few times snapped a few pics. At least the driver is OK, i wonder what happened.. doesn't look like the car is totaled, but i cant really tell.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,039 Likes on 739 Posts

looks like the road is a little off camber, I bet the car got real light... oh well , doesn't look to serious for the driver,. but there are no Minor accidents in a CGT I am sure.. back to the factory to straighten out I would imagine.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good photo coverage.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

that'll buff right out
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
yarin
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
looks like the road is a little off camber, I bet the car got real light... oh well , doesn't look to serious for the driver,. but there are no Minor accidents in a CGT I am sure.. back to the factory to straighten out I would imagine.
I was thinking about chassis damage, since the chassis is carbon fiber, it doesn't bend, it breaks off in layers. I don't know if its possible to replace sections of the car in that regard. I'm sure insurance costs fortune, especially due to the rate at which exotics are being wrecked lately.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

What a dumb ***.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yarin
Yet another example of why the average Joe shouldn't be allowed to buy a CGT without proper performance driving experience. I also believe that any street legal 600hp+ car should have some form of stability management. Anyway, i'm sure thats been debated over and over again. So here's my story:

I took my little 914 out for a drive on Long Ridge Road that crosses over the NY/CT border since the weather was gorgeous. Roads were a little damp, about 63 degrees. Came across this guy in a CGT that decided to drive over a rock wall. See pics here I didn't see any skid marks, not sure what happened. No idea if he lost control, or just drove straight off the road from talking on a cell phone.

The road is very windy, he came off a mild left hand downhill turn as seen in the pics. I drove by a few times snapped a few pics. At least the driver is OK, i wonder what happened.. doesn't look like the car is totaled, but i cant really tell.
gimme a break...you would not have even noticed if it was a camry that did that, but because its a CGT, ooooooh, its a scary car that is really dangerous, drivers should be trained etc etc.

It obvious from the pics that the guy just took that sharp 90 degree turn too fast and slid off....big deal.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,039 Likes on 739 Posts

Well I am not getting into this arguement one way or the other .. but I might have snapped a pic of even a Camry sitting up on a wall like that . :-)
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RufMD
gimme a break...you would not have even noticed if it was a camry that did that, but because its a CGT, ooooooh, its a scary car that is really dangerous, drivers should be trained etc etc.

It obvious from the pics that the guy just took that sharp 90 degree turn too fast and slid off....big deal.
So drivers shouldn't receive any additional training to operate a 600+ hp supercar as compared to say, a toyota camry?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
So drivers shouldn't receive any additional training to operate a 600+ hp supercar as compared to say, a toyota camry?
That wasn't the point of the post!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RufMD
Hence, need training.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Is that in Greenwich? One of my friends probably knows the owner.

I see you are in the CT area. I had the black GT3 with straight pipes I used to be in Greenwich quite often...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 PM
yarin
Racer

It's on long ridge road going across the Stamford ny/CT border.

What sharp 90 degree bend?? Nothing but smooth silky roads with nice elevation changes. It's impossible to determine exactly what happened given the facts I collected. Indeed I would have noticed a Toyota Camry, my point about driver training still stands. Have a nice day.

Moogle - Yes i'm in CT, don't recall seeing your car. Wouldn't mind taking a look though if you are around.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used to live in that area (Pound Ridge), exactly what road are we talking about?

If you can put in the co-ordinates then we can do a more detailed analysis.

But, driver error looks like the leading cause, and that could happen in a Kia or Ferrari!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Ah, unfortunately I sold the car in the beginning of the year, but I was around quite often in GW/Stamford/Westport in the last 2 years.

I do most of my road driving in GW/NYC area though.

GW has arguably the best backroads, but admittedly there are too many cops.

Quick Reply: Another CGT Whoopsies...