Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
918 versus the CGT...

The 918 concept, which goes in a future (and futuristic) direction pays great homage to the CGT. While the 918 will use elements of the CGT and cause many to initially think of it as a replacement for the CGT, it is not in the least. It is a very different car. The CGT is the zenith of a particular development path, while the 918 is a nascent development platform and display of new technologies.... that it borrows from the CGT is a significant statement about that cars design attributes after almost a decade. Longevity is the mark of greatness.

The CGT stands in illuminated contrast, and begins its journey toward being recognized as one of the all time great cars, and engineering marvels, linked to a formidable racing pedigree.

To me, both are quite different in purpose when you think about it.,...both legitimate and not mutually exclusive.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree; that is, both are legitimate and not mutually exclusive. There is zero doubt that the CGT will go down as one of the all-time greats to ever be produced by Porsche.

From a design and engineering point of view, the 918 Spyder prototype is a stunning achievement. It will be interesting to see what design elements, and technology bits, carry over to the production version.

Jay Leno justed posted a fun review of the car -- you can see it here: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the...he-918-spyder/
Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I love most of the looks of this car, but the hybrid doesn't make sense to me for a performance car.

The bottom line is the car was setup to run the ring, around a normal track after a couple of laps your batteries are going to gone and it will end up being a slug.

I hope they end up putting a 600hp engine in this body and remove the electric motors, batteries, generators, etc...

Who cares what mileage this car gets? I wouldn't care if my CGT got 5 mpg, I don't drive it enough for it to make a difference. I will also be willing to wager that no one who buys this car and drives it in a spirited manner will ever achieve over 40mpg.

I was offered to view the car but decided this car is definitely not for me, I hope Porsche will get back on track doing what they do best.
I suggest that one not be too hasty in deciding how the car will work before we hear more technical details of the final car.

The electric drive is recharged from braking and if the front electric motors are quite powerful, this car will be able to predominantly use the recharging action instead of friction brakes for most of the front braking function. This means track driving will create ample opportunity to keep plenty of charge available for blasting out of corners. I can tell you from driving my wife's Tesla Roadster that electric drive coming out of corners has to be experienced to be believed.

Combining a high-revving, powerful internal combustion motor with a supplementary, powerful, electric drive is a really exciting concept to me!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also visited the 918 in Monterey and got to speak with some people that know the car well. I was told the batteries would be depeleted after 8 seconds of full acceleration.

Like some others here, I'm not sure of this car's real purpose when driven sporty. It seems it would just turn into a 500 hp car with a hi-reving V8 after a few seconds or minutes. And, if it's purpose is to be able to cruise to the track at 70 mpg, why not just modify the CGT to operate on just a few cylinders in the same situation? Maybe the final production 918 will make more sense. I just don't see myself driving the 918 often in the 70 mpg mode.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Bill S.;7834809]I also visited the 918 in Monterey and got to speak with some people that know the car well. I was told the batteries would be depeleted after 8 seconds of full acceleration.

Like some others here, I'm not sure of this car's real purpose when driven sporty. It seems it would just turn into a 500 hp car with a hi-reving V8 after a few seconds or minutes. And, if it's purpose is to be able to cruise to the track at 70 mpg, why not just modify the CGT to operate on just a few cylinders in the same situation? Maybe the final production 918 will make more sense. I just don't see myself driving the 918 often in the 70 mpg mode.[/QUOTE]

With all the traffic and more and more of it every year....being able to put it in "70MPG mode" is a great idea....
I live in NH we dont have bad traffic here...but on a great day for driving weather into the mountains, to the Lake or Ocean running into a 2hr traffic jam is a high possibility.
The ability to turn off the hot motor and use electricity is a perfect solution.

I liked this design right off the bat...but was up in the air over the hybrid sollution...but iv changed my mind...it is the future of our sport....just like liquid cooling was to the 9 1 1 ......the overall design is mor compact then the CGT(which i love...but it is long in the tail) it will be interesting to see if this makes it inot production as a hybrid and what desighn clues are lost.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Combining a high-revving, powerful internal combustion motor with a supplementary, powerful, electric drive is a really exciting concept to me!
While at the same time keeping the green crowd happy as it tools around under full electric during the EPA test

Agree or not with the climate crowd, abiding by their rules is the near future. 30 years ago it was an oil embargo..... At least this time around a few companies are being pro-active before everything falls apart.

People also need to remember the Porsche - VW merger / takeover was too late for Porsche to fall under the VW umbrella for CARB exception.

One of the first vehicles Porsche designed was a gas / electric hybrid
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/1131
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I was able to crawl all over the car at the airport. But not sit in it!! but I was a early viewer and we had hours to burn, with very few "potential customers". . The car is a "model/prototype" with a ? PDK 7 speed gearbox and 2 gears in electric. Very little of the car is functional, at least from what I saw and heard from the developer, It runs and looks great, but its total prototype. Which was some what disappointed, but WTF its a new Porsche!

The front clip is a basic CGT with a new interior, gauges, etc.but the longitudinal s <SP?> are the same. so you still have that big crossing to the seat. I expect the front nose to grow with bumper requirements and adding a trunk and space. the area will be about the same as the CGT. just enough room to hold the roofs and a car cover. With the electric motors up front, this will be a tight fit. The nose will change with the new bumper and trunk. The head lights were LED. Which looked good but the cars batteries were low/dead. (the charger was not around, held up in customs was the story.. sure..) Life on the batteries was 10 years, depending on who you talked to.

The back of the car was tube frame. no carbon.The rear suspension was off a CGT. The front geometries look to be the same as the CGT. so I would assume that they are using the same type of suspension geometries. Inboard shocks. I ask the designer on if they will be double adjustable.?? not at this time. the gear box looked like a CGT gearbox.. but the case might be the same. the clutch seems to be the same, after watching the videos from Pebble..;^) ? This engine needs to be heated for 30min before starting, The rear will change with bumpers and exhaust requirements. They are planning on doing side exhaust, but that might change, due to sound requirements.

The designer was saying how they are going to get the car to 3000lbs. but I was pestering him about this. Batteries, fuel tank, electric motors, 8 cylinder engine, gearbox. . I see this car closer to 4000lbs then what they are proposing. So we shall see!! Porsche has always found ways to save weight.

Price: my guess is 700K I know we have seen 630K but after you add the option package and dealer crap.. ;^0

Last edited by bojali; 08-30-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: bad grammmer
Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
LoganTaylor
Track Day

oh i absolutely love it and must have one to continue living.....

im sure the price tag is more then ill make in my lifetime...........
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I hope they end up putting a 600hp engine in this body and remove the electric motors, batteries, generators, etc...

I hope Porsche will get back on track doing what they do best..
Fully agree. Looks-wise, the car is a complete knock-out. Wow.

Andreas
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
918 versus the CGT...

The 918 concept, which goes in a future (and futuristic) direction pays great homage to the CGT. While the 918 will use elements of the CGT and cause many to initially think of it as a replacement for the CGT, it is not in the least. It is a very different car. The CGT is the zenith of a particular development path, while the 918 is a nascent development platform and display of new technologies.... that it borrows from the CGT is a significant statement about that cars design attributes after almost a decade. Longevity is the mark of greatness.

The CGT stands in illuminated contrast, and begins its journey toward being recognized as one of the all time great cars, and engineering marvels, linked to a formidable racing pedigree.

To me, both are quite different in purpose when you think about it.,...both legitimate and not mutually exclusive.
Bravo.

Originally Posted by W8MM
I can tell you from driving my wife's Tesla Roadster that electric drive coming out of corners has to be experienced to be believed.

Indeed.

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Agree or not with the climate crowd, abiding by their rules is the near future. 30 years ago it was an oil embargo..... At least this time around a few companies are being pro-active before everything falls apart.
No doubt. Change is accelerating at lightening speed. 50% more people in the next 40 years and 50% of the world's population aspiring to live like the West is driving massive policy change in energy and emissions. This is just Porsche staying ahead of the curve.

Quick Reply: 918 Spyder