Sponsored by:

918 is enough to make a monkey smile.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 918 is enough to make a monkey smile.

Glimpses of the 918 at the ring in the hands of the great one.
(and glimpses of an awestruck monkey exiting the passenger seat)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Wonder what happened to exhaust pipes that where on the sides?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM
MKS_Performance
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They come out the top now if I'm correct.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJF
Wonder what happened to exhaust pipes that where on the sides?
There's been some marketing blurb on the exhausts. I don't know that they'll make the final vehicle, but the idea was to put the weight of the batteries below the plimsoll line and the "light" exhaust system overhead with the added advantage of keeping the "cold" intake side of the engine facing the batteries and the hot exhaust side venting up and away from the whole electrical system (batteries don't like to be hot or cold.)
Some say there's also some aerodynamics and laminar flows, etc. I think that's "creative" marketing and will go away when various countries impose their vehicle code which wil be mainly the risk of poisonous exhaust gasses reaching the passenger compartment or carbon monoxide pooling around the driver, etc.
I imagine the 918 will have to end up with raised, but reward exhausts like the 430 Scuderia -- Ferrari said that location also induced better airflow through the diffuser. It certainly looks dramatic. : )
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's been some marketing blurb on the exhausts. I don't know that they'll make the final vehicle, but the idea was to put the weight of the batteries below the plimsoll line and the "light" exhaust system overhead with the added advantage of keeping the "cold" intake side of the engine facing the batteries and the hot exhaust side venting up and away from the whole electrical system (batteries don't like to be hot or cold.)
Some say there's also some aerodynamics and laminar flows, etc. I think that's "creative" marketing and will go away when various countries impose their vehicle code which wil be mainly the risk of poisonous exhaust gasses reaching the passenger compartment or carbon monoxide pooling around the driver, etc.
I imagine the 918 will have to end up with raised, but reward exhausts like the 430 Scuderia -- Ferrari said that location also induced better airflow through the diffuser. It certainly looks dramatic. : )
The top exit exhausts are indeed signed off and will make final production. This is, as you say, to ensure the hot exhaust system is kept as far away as possible from the batteries (which are low slung just behind the front monocoque). It also helps keep the exhaust system short and light. Clever engineering indeed.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stefan einz
The top exit exhausts are indeed signed off and will make final production. This is, as you say, to ensure the hot exhaust system is kept as far away as possible from the batteries (which are low slung just behind the front monocoque). It also helps keep the exhaust system short and light. Clever engineering indeed.
I guess if they intend to sell only a handfull of 918's in the US market (in Hybrid form) they could get away with some variances. I imagine they're now expecting to selling literally a baker's dozen of these things at most.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

The exhaust comes out on top as the intake manifolds are going to be on the SIDE of the engine...VERY innovative. I expect Porsche will sell at least 200-300 in the US

Quick Reply: 918 is enough to make a monkey smile.