Sponsored by:

How many CGTs are out there on the road? -- spotting sites offer a clue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many CGTs are out there on the road? -- spotting sites offer a clue

It was to my surprise that my nice local Ferrari dealership (where they let me park my CGT) told my that my car was circulating around due it being "spotted." Now I am familiar with those "kinda geeky" guys at the end of an airport runway who watch different planes come in (and one filmed the recent infamous San Francisco landing on the water). But there is a whole community of (well, not quite so "geeky" -- cause I like super cars more than commercial aircraft) car spotters as well!

They love sports cars and share their finds on a website (here in Europe at least) and compete for spot of the day: autogespot.co.uk. Here was when they spotted my car just before I took off my epic 14 hour adventurous journey to St. Tropez: http://www.autogespot.co.uk/app.php/...-gt/2013/07/12.

At first I was taken with a mixture of a lot of pride (the guy took some really nice pictures of my precious CGT) and a little but of an invasion of privacy (my license plate number, etc). The latter feeling lasted about 5 seconds and I sent off the spotting to my 13-year old daughter (who had joined me on this epic journey) and many friends.

Most interestingly, I also learned that I could go onto the site and have it send me a notice every time any CGT was spotted. So finally I could start to get a clue as to how many other CGTs were actually out there on the road (in Europe at least)! Over the last 4 weeks, I have gotten around 8 such notices (a couple in Monaco/France, one in Portugal, Germany, Lithuania, etc). Not many -- they about as sparse as I had thought. Should be interesting next summer though...

Do they have such website(s) in the States? You could also learn about another potential CGT near you.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Local car sites tend to have "spotters" threads.
In Porsche's sales training literature for the Carrera GT, they estimated that fewer than 50% of Carrera GTs would be street-driven.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
SBR
Intermediate

I live in the chicagoland area and I have never seen a CGT on the road.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Since their birth, I have seen one in London (ages ago) and one in Tokyo (last year). In driving my CGT around Europe, many car nuts profess as to the relative scarcity of ever seeing this car ("only in a magazine" is the familiar refrain).

I think there is materially less than 50% on the road: for example, if half of the 1,260 got sold to the States, then a least a 1/4 to California, New York and Florida? Or a circa 315 cars -- or roughly over a 105 cars each. And at least this much to the UK. But hardly ever seen??? Again, seems like a lot less than 50% on the road...

Cheers,

Steve
Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Hey Steve - Check out this registry site http://51768833.de.strato-hosting.eu..._registrye.htm. It gives you some idea of where they are and what has happened to them.

I saw a yellow one in France going north from Lyon this summer, other than that I haven't seen any unless of course i'm at Porsche Reading where there are normally quite a few in storage or being serviced.

This is from a Silverstone meeting in the UK a few years back:
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There were ~14 in Italy last week/weekend for an event.

Greg A
Old 09-25-2013, 06:37 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here in Canada, the first one I ever saw in person was in 2005 in Ottawa... and I couldn't believe I was looking at it. I've since spotted a few on the road in Toronto (maybe 3-5 over the past few years), and another 3 or 4 showed up at racing events (Mosport and Calabogie race tracks tend to attract them during events like ALMS or the GT3 challenge).

Anybody know how many are supposed to be in Canada?

Anthony, that blue CGT in the lineup is gorgeous - fun seeing unique colours.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only seen 4 in Chicagoland area.

Quick Reply: How many CGTs are out there on the road? -- spotting sites offer a clue