Sponsored by:

Question for owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Question for owners

How long have you owned your Carrera GT? Has the car given you any kind of problem? Any type of maintenance (besides engine out) done to the car or parts replaced? Are parts hard to get? Lets say you get into a minor fender bender and it needs to go to a body shop, can a good body shop handle this type of work being that it is carbon fiber? Just curious.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
thebigmboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had 2 CGTs the first one had no issues whatsoever. Second one had some air conditioning issues but relatively minor in the bigger scheme of things. The diverter stopped properly diverting air up and down and the AC unit needed to be recharged. think it was around 2k part and labor. Haven't had to replace the clutch. If you know how to drive it should last you the life of the vehicle at most peoples annual miles driven.

The majority of the car is in large pieces and should you get into a fender bender the parts should be replaced rather than mended. Unfortunately these large pieces are NOT cheap.

One of the most expensive parts is battery replacement. Replaced 3-4 batteries in both cars because we occasionally leave the key in the ignition stupidly...its habit in our garage in the event we have a fire etc we want fast access to get the cars out. this runs somewhere in the 700-900$ range.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Agreed in full about a fender bender: US$50-100k. Very expensive as there rear bumper, for instance, is part of large carbon fiber piece that extends underneath the whole car. Still there is nothing like the driving experience...
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

Any other owners want to chime in on this.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigmboy
One of the most expensive parts is battery replacement. Replaced 3-4 batteries in both cars because we occasionally leave the key in the ignition stupidly...its habit in our garage in the event we have a fire etc we want fast access to get the cars out. this runs somewhere in the 700-900$ range.
900$! It must be some special battery... Any more details about it?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by racer959
How long have you owned your Carrera GT? Has the car given you any kind of problem? Any type of maintenance (besides engine out) done to the car or parts replaced? Are parts hard to get? Lets say you get into a minor fender bender and it needs to go to a body shop, can a good body shop handle this type of work being that it is carbon fiber? Just curious.
Have been an owner for 2 years and 6,000 miles. Car has needed nothing, just routine maintenance.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

I've had mine for 6 years with only a battery change besides routine maintenance. No fender benders.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:34 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had mine since the summer and had the 4 year maintenance done. Some minor leaks with the steering pump and air conditioning. The shocks showed a little seepage but not enough to replace. I would rebuild if a rebuild kit were available. Anyone know anything about this?

The clutch had plenty of depth left, actually much better than I expected at close to 75%.

The only unusual thing was pitted cams which I decided to just replace the cams. I chalk this up to lack of use and/or improper storage. The Niello Porsche doing the service was very helpful and was able to get a discount on the cams, an otherwise expensive part -- but not nearly as expensive as the CF parts! I would wholeheartedly recommend Niello's service department.

*If* you are a car aficionado and can afford it without flinching I would highly recommend a Carrera GT. It is the last of the great "analog" super cars.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
900$! It must be some special battery... Any more details about it?
Believe that it's very hard to access.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

You know that slogan, "if you have to ask..." Anyhow, it's pointless talking about repair costs with this car -- I frankly wish Porsche were a bit more reasonable (they have raised the cost of the replacement parts massively in the last 3 years). But let's put it this way: aside from the joy of having kids, a fantastic meal or the company of a beautiful woman, the Carrera GT has to be number 1 on the list of life's greatest pleasures. I have never dreamed of so many excuses to drive on some journey through Europe to then realise that it was to sit in that seat, grab the controls and hear that engine howl... It's redefines "spine tingling." There may be many reasons to buy a car (prestige, notoriety, performance), but for the sheer thrill of DRIVING this is it... $900 to replace a battery (which I have because a have a special iPad feeder into the stereo system)? Pretty damn cheap actually. But please don't tell Porsche...
Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 725 Likes on 340 Posts

The car seems to be pretty bullet proof.

Over the course of three of them, I've replaced a couple batteries, rebuilt a starter and replaced the batteries in the tpms.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Mine hasn't had any major issues, which is just as well since the mileage is so low. Needed a new battery, new tyres (past shelf life) and new radiator (slight corrosion). There is a known issue with starter motors which mine seems to suffer from, it occasionally wont start first time but will eventually fire up, i'll probably change this if it continues. Servicing costs have been very reasonable so far.

Go buy one, these cars are the real deal and I think the press coverage on it at the moment will affirm it's status as a legendary one off car.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Believe that it's very hard to access.
Right rear tire must be removed to access which means lifting the car properly. Some of the undertray may have to be removed also.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 000 miles . 2 cgts mostly to / from tracks and roadtrips . had rads replaced ( goodwill gesture ) on first car . Been absolutely bombproof since then apart from an engine light that was related to a sensor giving false signals .

But I take good care of here . Fluids changed after every track day / road trip , pads every 2 trackdays , double up on service intervals . Last year I had Porsche completely disassemble the entire car , replace every exposed bolt etc , refinish all the undertrays and carbon , respray the entire car and give her a full service . Then the entire car was wrapped in protective film , its ocd but she deserves it .
Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biko
I have had mine since the summer and had the 4 year maintenance done. Some minor leaks with the steering pump and air conditioning. The shocks showed a little seepage but not enough to replace. I would rebuild if a rebuild kit were available. Anyone know anything about this?

The clutch had plenty of depth left, actually much better than I expected at close to 75%.

The only unusual thing was pitted cams which I decided to just replace the cams. I chalk this up to lack of use and/or improper storage. The Niello Porsche doing the service was very helpful and was able to get a discount on the cams, an otherwise expensive part -- but not nearly as expensive as the CF parts! I would wholeheartedly recommend Niello's service department.

*If* you are a car aficionado and can afford it without flinching I would highly recommend a Carrera GT. It is the last of the great "analog" super cars.
I recommend you fix the shocks IMMEDIATELY , it can have a horrendous effect on handling and can be dangerous .
I can put you in touch with a UK guy who sends them back to sachs for rebuild . He seems to be the only guy that does this ( actually does it for centrum uk too ).

Last edited by wtdoom; 12-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for owners