Sponsored by:

Stupid Carrera GT Hysteria

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsterpro
The expert tech in Vegas is a friend of mine, he opened his own shop there after working for the dealer for 15 years and has lot of experience with them, and so do I.....
Experience working on them is VERY different from experience driving them . And we're talking driving them over 8/10s, not sedately... which anybody can do.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Generation 1 vipers had no ABS
Didnt come along until 2003 i believe.
I stand corrected. Seems ABS is not required in the US! Required in UK since 2004 and EU since 2007.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Black Shadow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May we change the focus on this sad incident to what can be learned from it?
Considering the mid engine design of the CGT and the 612 hp, the car quickly responds to driver inputs. This is one of the reasons the CGT is so enjoyable for a driving enthusiast, but it is important to point out that changes in the road surface (oil, debris, etc) and any changes to the car itself (failed suspension component, tire failure, failed oil, coolant or fuel line, etc) can quickly lead to a situation that even a highly qualified race driver will have difficulty recovering from.
That being said, as drivers of these ultra high performance cars it is important to maintain them, including having a through annual inspection.
Be ever vigilant when driving them especially on public roads.
My heart goes out to the friends and families who lost loved ones.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Shadow
May we change the focus on this sad incident to what can be learned from it?
Considering the mid engine design of the CGT and the 612 hp, the car quickly responds to driver inputs. This is one of the reasons the CGT is so enjoyable for a driving enthusiast, but it is important to point out that changes in the road surface (oil, debris, etc) and any changes to the car itself (failed suspension component, tire failure, failed oil, coolant or fuel line, etc) can quickly lead to a situation that even a highly qualified race driver will have difficulty recovering from.
That being said, as drivers of these ultra high performance cars it is important to maintain them, including having a through annual inspection.
Be ever vigilant when driving them especially on public roads.
My heart goes out to the friends and families who lost loved ones.
"Highly qualified " is not what Paul or his buddy were. His buddy even crashed in WCGT practice. (which usually reserved for the very green racers with a few exceptions) He was a pure novice racer, with not enough eperience to be driving a car this hot, that fast. The car is not at fault here. It is incredibly safe and responsive, when driven at or near its capability. The problem is, it is so powerful and responsive, that those limits (speedwise) are faster than other more common cars. So, when over the limits, you are going faster. When you are going faster, the forces usually go up with the square of speed. so, a honda at 50mph crashing will be a factor of 4 x less destructive vs the GT going 100mph.
Mechanics are not qualified to judge the safeness of driving the car, other than they know what they see as far as damaged vehicles and know they probably cannot drive them at the limits either, due to lack of experience.

Clearly, the driver of this CGT was inexperienced enough to get way over his head in the car, around a very smooth and gradual turn, becuase he couldnt "Feel" the car under-him. And barring any kind of major mechanical, like a blowout, or wheel falling off, or oil on the road, he was driving beyond his ability and killed two people. Sad, but hopefully a lesson for those wanting to show off to their friends.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Hopefully all this hysteria will depreciate the car enough (may be low 100's) ...
That's funny right there...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...crash/4116755/

no mechanical issues
Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no surprise
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
Looks like speed is at the top of the radar now......imagine that.....
Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Investigators have said " at least one of the tyres was made in 2004" . madness .
Old 12-22-2013, 10:46 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
I wonder how old the tires were. Single biggest factor in Ford GT accidents.
For those of you still on original rubber, please black bag them for the "Concours" of the future and install fresh tires for today's driving.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:34 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Merlin, you posted this back on page one of this thread.

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
I wonder how old the tires were. Single biggest factor in Ford GT accidents.
Nice call...

I wonder how many miles were on this particular CGT??? I'd be very surprised if the rear tires were original as they wear out pretty quickly. However, the fronts could have been original to the car. If so, they would be very hard at this point and cause the car to understeer badly.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I wonder how people survived era when there were porsches, no speed limits on highways and no electronic assistance..
Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
I wonder how people survived era when there were porsches, no speed limits on highways and no electronic assistance..
  • They learned to drive in a car that bit them, or at least warned them, when they did something a bit stupid. Nowadays, nanny-aids allow folks to commit stupidity without even knowing it. Unfortunately, because nothing bad happened during their last stupid episode, they proceed to push the limit of stupid even further.......until eventually.....the nanny-aids can't keep up. With all the modern nanny-aids, I don't think people are really learning how to drive anymore. Heck, cars are now able to follow the car ahead, brake for you when you aren't paying attention, and even parallel park for you. Sad.......
  • Back in the good ole' days, 200HP was hard to come by. Nowadays, the grocery getter sedans are beyond that. 600, 700, 800....HP was almost unthinkable back then, at least for most street cars. Unfortunately, the Carrera GT combined 700 HP without nanny-aids.....a not so good combination in the wrong hands.

Quick Reply: Stupid Carrera GT Hysteria