Sponsored by:

Should I get involved in a 918

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Some boy somewhere on Earth right now will have a 918 poster on the wall or as their screen wallpaper and dream about owning one, I am just glad I am lucky enough to be able to afford such a poster car as my own 2 poster cars, a 959 and a F1, are next to impossible to buy.
You can buy a 959 for less than a 918.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly XR4Tim (to state the obvious). Whoopsy...

Hey Whoopsy, would like to see your other posts you mentioned above? Where are they? It would be very interesting to see your thoughts develop overtime (particularly the sudden gestalt moment on the 918). When is your 918 due for delivery, btw?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
You can buy a 959 for less than a 918.

Last one I looked at is 7 figures.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
Exactly XR4Tim (to state the obvious). Whoopsy...

Hey Whoopsy, would like to see your other posts you mentioned above? Where are they? It would be very interesting to see your thoughts develop overtime (particularly the sudden gestalt moment on the 918). When is your 918 due for delivery, btw?

Cheers,

Steve

They are on rennteam.

I have a Turbo S that I pretty much drives daily. I also have a 12C but I rarely use it, that got me thinking if I were just to park it and drive it once in a while, I might as well find something else for that role. First choice was the P1, but when McLaren mis-treated me on my visit to their factory last Easter when they already knew well in advanced that I was in the market for a P1 and want to see the car. So I switched target and try to find CGT. After locating one and on the verge of pulling the trigger, info for the 918 came flooding in and completely changed my mind on the 918. At first I was like every other person, hated the hybrid system and the extra weight, but after stepping back and take a fresh look, I really the 918 is a much better car than the CGT and so i switched again. As a Gen X, I am technology savy and I just fell in love with the cutting edge tech on the 918.

Last I check my car is supposed to be a Feb build, I am looking at maybe April delivery.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:56 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last I had heard they were changing hands for about ~GBP 400k which makes it 600-700k USD ish. Didn't RM auction one as well recently?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I thought Sloans 959S is asking less than 7 figures.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Okay Whoopsy, you've got me confused... Sorry for my ignorance, but I looked (googled) for the specific commentary you suggested above on the CGT and 918 and couldn't find it there. Could you provide the specific link? Secondly, how did McLaren treat you rudely? Doesn't sound like them (or anyone else trying to sell a P1). Your story seems to get stranger by the minute -- you have a 911, owned a 12C (great car), almost went for a CGT (fat lady was just about to sing) and then decided from literature that you would prefer the 918 (nothing against a hybrid system on my part, btw; am a CGT owner). And then ordered one after making a big statement about how careful you are with $400k. You are clearly confused about the cost of a 959 (it does very is not my cup of tea) and worship the F1 (but I doubt you've ever seen either one). Moreover, it's pretty clear that you've actually never driven any of the latter cars (CGT, P1 or the 918)? But yet you have very definitive views of the different technologies involved here (btw, was either the Concorde or SR71 "old technology"?) backed up with some sort of perspective of evolutionary biology applied to cars (they don't mate, btw). I don't mind if you think the 918 is the embodiment of the thinking man's car, etc., but I have a hard time believing that you are actually familiar with any of these cars. Sad. But it's cool to pretend! Please share with us all of your experiences with the 918 when you get it (yeah). Cheers, Steve
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

959 explored the twin turbo set up, now every Turbo since has been twin turbo-ed. It also pioneered the awd system in 911s. Now every generation since has it.
The 959 had twin, sequential turbos.

Modern 911 Turbo's have twin, parallel turbos -- one turbo per cylinder bank.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
I thought Sloans 959S is asking less than 7 figures.
Sloan wants 7 figures for the 959S, but it's the only one that I'm aware of in that price range. Komfort models have still been trading under $800k. Even so, a well-optioned 918 will exceed what Sloan wants for his 959S.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Okay Whoopsy, you've got me confused... Sorry for my ignorance, but I looked (googled) for the specific commentary you suggested above on the CGT and 918 and couldn't find it there. Could you provide the specific link?

There are 2 main 918 threads on rennteam and I believe most of my steps are in there. I used to start off participating on this site but drifted away to there. Better atmosphere, but I uses the same handle on all boards so it's easy to find.

Secondly, how did McLaren treat you rudely? Doesn't sound like them (or anyone else trying to sell a P1).

I had scheduled for a factory visit last Easter after I bought my 12C late 2012. I had a discussion with my McLaren salesman about the P1, but back then they are not allowed/don't have a lot of info to give out but he communicated with Woking that I am a potential P1 customer. While talking about the trip on McLaren forum, and the discussion on how the P1 came about and and the uncanny similarity of it to the 12C, I had the strong impression that it was a souped up 12C. Someone from Woking privately communicated with me about my opinion and wants to convince me otherwise, he was gonna make sure I get to see the P1 section. Well when I got there I was told the P1 section was off limit to me. Also, they won't allow me to take pictures of the F1 there as the reason was the F1 lab is right behind it, but it was empty at that time. Every other person I know who had visited the factory got theirs but me. The guide also rushed us through the tour as if he can't be bothered. When I returned home I expressed to McLaren about my experience at the factory, they promised me another trip with a better treatment but 1st impression has already been made and I can't be bothered to fly another 8000km just for a picture.

That was night and day compared with how Porsche has been treating me.

My local dealer had a grand opening on their new location and I wasn't going to attend due to prior engagement, but I was told to at least stop by for 15mins as Bernard Maier, Porsche Supervisory Board member and Porsche Car Canada CEO Alexander Pollich both flew into town for the opening and would like to speak with me privately about the progress on the 918. PCC also had someone hand carry a replacement crystal 918 as the first one didn't survive FedEx. Porsche flew me to Palm Springs for a 918 driving event and had me transported to LA for the LA Autoshow as their guest in there hall. I was also invited to visit the 918 factory last December but I didn't make it due to prior bookings. With Porsche I didn't need to ask, everything is provided while with McLaren seems like i had to beg for anything.

Your story seems to get stranger by the minute -- you have a 911, owned a 12C (great car), almost went for a CGT (fat lady was just about to sing) and then decided from literature that you would prefer the 918 (nothing against a hybrid system on my part, btw; am a CGT owner). And then ordered one after making a big statement about how careful you are with $400k.
Where is the strange part? I jumped all over the place looking for a car? Or strange that I didn't agree with you on thinking the CGT is a better car? Never said I was 'careful' with 400k. Personally I think the price jump from a CGT to a 918 is nothing compared with all the extra performance and 'gizmo' on the 918.

Plus with the electric only mode it fits what I need better. I can go in and out of my neighbourhood silently, as a hybrid I can fly down the carpool lane to avoid traffic, plus get to use all the reserve parking spots for electric cars in malls.

You are clearly confused about the cost of a 959 (it does very is not my cup of tea)
Wasn't. I had an agent to locate a 959 and that was the price I was told. Same agent who found me the CGT on the other side of the country.

Moreover, it's pretty clear that you've actually never driven any of the latter cars (CGT, P1 or the 918)?
Had a brief chance to drive a CGT a few years ago. I stalled it a couple times in a row. Ended up being a passenger for a ride instead. It sure sounds great but the 918 is just that much more exciting with the exhaust 2 ft from my ear. Never drove a P1, never will.

but I have a hard time believing that you are actually familiar with any of these cars. Sad. But it's cool to pretend! Please share with us all of your experiences with the 918 when you get it (yeah). Cheers, Steve
Also cool to try and be a hero pretending to call out frauds on internet too. But offsuit 2 and 7 can only go so far.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Okay Whoopsy, I got it. And no, I have no problem you preferring the 918 to the CGT (persons usually don't change their mind so quickly, but it happens!) and can understand the initial difficulty the clutch on the CGT can present. So points well taken and thanks for the input. Enjoy the 918 and do give us a full report when all is said and done. For example, how often do you end up using it more than the 12C or the 911? I only use my CGT for "road trips" in general and take public transport (in Switzerland) otherwise. All the best! Cheers, Steve
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Okay Whoopsy, I got it. And no, I have no problem you preferring the 918 to the CGT (persons usually don't change their mind so quickly, but it happens!) and can understand the initial difficulty the clutch on the CGT can present. So points well taken and thanks for the input. Enjoy the 918 and do give us a full report when all is said and done. For example, how often do you end up using it more than the 12C or the 911? I only use my CGT for "road trips" in general and take public transport (in Switzerland) otherwise. All the best! Cheers, Steve

The CGT was a spur of the moment decision, even when I knew I had't been able to even get the damn car going. But it was one of Porsche's special car and it was 'cheap' relatively speaking. The 918 is another one of those spur of the moment decision on top of the CGT. But after reading into what make it tick and what's goes into making one, I knew it's the right car for me. Everything was pretty much set in stone already when the ring time comes out, and that's just confirmed I made the right decision.

We are going to have a new track build about 4hrs away and I had already signed up as a founding member, so that will be the primary place I plan to exercise the car, especially when that 4hrs drive will be through mountainous highways.

I drives my Turbo S like some drives their Civic. I go pick up my sons from school in it, I go Best Buy with it, I go grocery shopping in it, I go golfing in it, etc. I rarely takes the 12C out just because it won't make it up some ramps and sometimes parking will be a big issue with other cars parking too close. I take it at times when I go dinner with my wife but a lot of times we ended up using her G63 as I will be drinking. Using the 12C takes careful planning beforehand. Sometimes it's just too much work.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

The CGT was a spur of the moment decision, even when I knew I had't been able to even get the damn car going. But it was one of Porsche's special car and it was 'cheap' relatively speaking. The 918 is another one of those spur of the moment decision on top of the CGT. But after reading into what make it tick and what's goes into making one, I knew it's the right car for me. Everything was pretty much set in stone already when the ring time comes out, and that's just confirmed I made the right decision.

We are going to have a new track build about 4hrs away and I had already signed up as a founding member, so that will be the primary place I plan to exercise the car, especially when that 4hrs drive will be through mountainous highways.

I drives my Turbo S like some drives their Civic. I go pick up my sons from school in it, I go Best Buy with it, I go grocery shopping in it, I go golfing in it, etc. I rarely takes the 12C out just because it won't make it up some ramps and sometimes parking will be a big issue with other cars parking too close. I take it at times when I go dinner with my wife but a lot of times we ended up using her G63 as I will be drinking. Using the 12C takes careful planning beforehand. Sometimes it's just too much work.
You couldn't get the CGT moving??? The car has auto throttle and therefore should be easy to use(assuming you can trust the auto throttle). Were you not aware of the auto throttle when you attempted to drive the car??? I don't mean to poke fun but you are the first enthusiast I have ever heard of who was unable to successfully drive a CGT. This point may help explain your lack of respect for the CGT.

Disclaimer: I have never driven a CGT but all you need to do is let the clutch out slowly and smoothly(basically, let the AT do its job) and you' re off. Once rolling it's as simple to drive as any MT car.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 02-08-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Added Disclaimer
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
You couldn't get the CGT moving??? The car has auto throttle and therefore should be easy to use(assuming you can trust the auto throttle). Were you not aware of the auto throttle when you attempted to drive the car??? I don't mean to poke fun but you are the first enthusiast I have ever heard of who was unable to successfully drive a CGT. This point may help explain your lack of respect for the CGT.

Disclaimer: I have never driven a CGT but all you need to do is let the clutch out slowly and smoothly(basically, let the AT do its job) and you' re off. Once rolling it's as simple to drive as any MT car.
I have let about 10 people drive my CGT and no one had a problem driving the car. One guy was a little nervous while stopped on a hill at a light but still managed everything fine.

I would say if you had a problem getting the CGT moving it might not be the car for you.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

"Had a brief chance to drive a CGT a few years ago. I stalled it a couple times in a row"

if it was Monterey, CA, it might of been my car. And starting from 3rd gear is what was happening.
:^(

Quick Reply: Should I get involved in a 918