Sponsored by:

Actual owners of new supercars rarely post

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Actual owners of new supercars rarely post

I wonder why this is... Its true there are a few folks like superquant below kicking around the idea of putting down a deposit, but its funny that there aren't many folks saying hey I ordered one. The same is to be observed with Laferrari on F chat, and I'm not sure about the McClaren P1 on their chat boards. Maybe because there aren't many of these cars or maybe b/c the wealthy original owners don't want to be known. You'd think there would be a few excited enthusiast owners though.
J
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

It's more a matter of what percentage of Porsche owners are on Rennlist. I'd say we are lucky having more than two CGT owners here. Now figure the production numbers on the 918 and how many that are ordered. If we get two on Rennlist, we are rocking it.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, agree in general, but specifically there are a LOT MORE than 2 CGT owners on this site. I can easily think of at least 10 individuals whose personal commentary on the car has been helpful both before deciding to buy the car, improving the car, enjoying others' experience in the car, etc. It has been -- and will continue to be -- a very big resource thanks to all of the contributors here. Some have also been very funny. It has diverged from that on occasion where exogenous events have brought a lot of other persons to the site (Paul Walker's death, etc.), but these have also been beneficial. They make you think a lot about some of the choices you have made or may consider in the future and about your driving experience in general with the car itself.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
heynow
Advanced

@96redLT4 Oh wouldn't say that folks aren't here. I am a 918 deposit holder, and mine will be arriving in August. There is at least one to two more deposit holders lurking here as well. I am very enthusiastic, but not sure if shouting it from the mountain tops is a good move either. That said, if there is anything in particular I can answer I would be happy to. That said, most of the other folks in other posts have posted way more detailed info than I have or know about in most cases.

Last edited by heynow; 01-20-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 AM
themarsman
Racer

I am surprised by how many CGT owners post on this site on a regular basis. With the car being 10 years old and only 1200 made I am shocked to find 10 or more owners on one site.

I believe once the 918's are shipping you will see owners talking about the cars quite a bit, right now there isn't a lot to talk about other than some of the reviews in magazines / videos and a few test drives.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heynow
@96redLT4 Oh wouldn't say that folks aren't here. I am a 918 deposit holder, and mine will be arriving in August. There is at least one to two more deposit holders lurking here as well. I am very enthusiastic, but not sure if shouting it from the mountain tops is a good move either. That said, if there is anything in particular I can answer I would be happy to. That said, most of the other folks in other posts have posted way more detailed info than I have or know about in most cases.
Awesome! Its great to hear from real owners, about the buying experience but more importantly the ownership and driving thoughts. It is interesting to hear this from someone more similar to the rest of us than some hot shoe magazine writer. No slight meant to anyone, just an observation. There are many supercar owners eg CGT F40 F50 Enzo who are great enthusiasts and very active on the 'boards'-it just seems there is more of a dearth of new car owners, if this makes sense.
J
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Why is it shocking? This is the leading Porsche forum, and many people who can afford CGT's know how to use a computer / the internet.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Why is it shocking? This is the leading Porsche forum, and many people who can afford CGT's know how to use a computer / the internet.
Exactly. And many of these second or third owners are wildly enthusiastic about their supercars. Its the original owners who are more elusive.
Jim
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Anyone know when the first cars are being delivered stateside?
J
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM
heynow
Advanced

Supposedly May/June.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Wealthy owners are too busy making money and occupied by other things in their free time. (young wives, mega yacht builds, estates, etc lol )
Buying a supercar can be an impulse buy at times and are either parked or used for general transportation as it is no big deal for the mega rich. It is just another latest greatest luxury item.
Same goes for celebritys. They are too busy with their schedules to bother chatting online to strangers or showing what they bought with their wealth.
Not always will you find a true enthusiast nerd buying these things.

But you gotta love a wealthy owner who knows his cars and loves to talk about them. Refreshing.

Quick Reply: Actual owners of new supercars rarely post