Sponsored by:

CGT battery change!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 PM
envythez06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT battery change!

Well I went to start up my dad's CGT yesterday to take down the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix and the battery was dead. It baffled me at first because we regularly put the car on the battery tender, but after a little research I found that the 1st gen Porsche battery tender doesn't work that well and sometimes can fry the battery. Anyways my question is do I have to get the replacement battery through Porsche or are there other battery companies out there that make a replacement for the CGT? I plan on doing the replacement myself and once I get the lifting plates, new battery, new c-tek tender in i'll upload some pics of the job. Any advice or tips is always appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by envythez06
Well I went to start up my dad's CGT yesterday to take down the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix and the battery was dead. It baffled me at first because we regularly put the car on the battery tender, but after a little research I found that the 1st gen Porsche battery tender doesn't work that well and sometimes can fry the battery. Anyways my question is do I have to get the replacement battery through Porsche or are there other battery companies out there that make a replacement for the CGT? I plan on doing the replacement myself and once I get the lifting plates, new battery, new c-tek tender in i'll upload some pics of the job. Any advice or tips is always appreciated. Thanks!
It's not easy dealer charges for 5 - 6 hours 1000.00

Battery is in front of the right rear wheel - assume codes need to be reset

Aiir gun with lots of torque - wouldn't suggest it.

Removing a lot of cf panels and replace - take it to a dealer and might as well change the oil.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

RufMD did it many years ago. If you do a google search with these terms: "Rufmd cgt battery change" you should find the thread with his detailed write up and pics.

Greg A
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg A
RufMD did it many years ago. If you do a google search with these terms: "Rufmd cgt battery change" you should find the thread with his detailed write up and pics.

Greg A
Great tip. I found the link is seconds. Looks to be a job for someone handier than me !

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/67887...-diy-pics.html
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Great write up - imagine there is a way to charge the battery somewhere in the wiring harness below the steering wheel.

Assume pop starting with the ceramic clutch is out of the question.

Nice to see an owner shipping plates to a fellow owner.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

His thread talks about needing a few goodies - service manual on CD, lifting plates, torque multiplier for wheels. Any ideas where to source these for future use?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 PM
envythez06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT
His thread talks about needing a few goodies - service manual on CD, lifting plates, torque multiplier for wheels. Any ideas where to source these for future use?
Suncoast Porsche had the lifting plates on their website and in stock

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/94820.html

Quick Reply: CGT battery change!