Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 918 or at least a report of it

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

My harness is still MIA, so I can't comment yet. But yes they do share the same holes on the back of the tub.

But I figured that if I don't hang the garment bags off the hanger and just dump them behind the seat, it still will be ok. Not like there is a ton of room there for them to flop around and get wrinkled, there is barely any room to begin with, the garment bag pretty much is sandwiched between the seat back and the back wall.

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Whoopsy

Car looks great, and I’m glad you finally have it in your garage!

A quick question if that’s ok - I am not ordering the full luggage set, but may be able to get the suit hangers separately. I was told that the fixing location for Weissach racing seat harnesses is also where the suit hangers attach, so that you can’t use both at the same time.

Not a big problem, as I don’t intend to track the car with my suit bag swinging around!

However, I think Apollo mentioned that once the harnesses are attached (locally, as they ship unattached I think?), then they can’t be taken off again. Is that all correct and if so, will it mean that any suit hangers would become useless after harnesses are fitted?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
My harness is still MIA, so I can't comment yet. But yes they do share the same holes on the back of the tub.

But I figured that if I don't hang the garment bags off the hanger and just dump them behind the seat, it still will be ok. Not like there is a ton of room there for them to flop around and get wrinkled, there is barely any room to begin with, the garment bag pretty much is sandwiched between the seat back and the back wall.
My harness is MIA also. I also noticed by passenger seat does not have a slot on it to connect the base of the 5 point... And I hope I can mount and unmount the harnesses...
Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael246
My harness is MIA also. I also noticed by passenger seat does not have a slot on it to connect the base of the 5 point... And I hope I can mount and unmount the harnesses...
I was thinking the same thing when I ordered the car.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

A pic of it finally home with it's cousin. Side by side, the 918 is about 6 inches longer and maybe 4 inches wider.
Whoopsy. May I suggest you move the 2 ladders in your garage to the other side?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CGT000

Lol, I knew someone is gonna say that.

The ladders are actually secured to the wall and not actually inline with the car. If they fall inward they will miss the car.

For that question, you win a prize, if you are ever in town, give me a shout and I will give you a ride in the 918.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I ate my words on clear bra-ing. My car is off to my wrapper for some clear bra.

Not the whole car, I am only doing the exposed carbon, i.e. front lip, mirrors, roof, a-pilar and the rear winglets, inner door sills and together with the lower rocker panels and bottom half of doors. Mostly I am leaving the top half of the car untouched so I can actually work on it, washing, polishing and waxing.

Being Basalt Black, it's bit easier to paint match if I ever need repainting.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:24 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Lol, I knew someone is gonna say that.

The ladders are actually secured to the wall and not actually inline with the car. If they fall inward they will miss the car.

For that question, you win a prize, if you are ever in town, give me a shout and I will give you a ride in the 918.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 142 Posts

Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael246
What happens when the harnesses expire IF they can't be removed?

Greg A
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'Not everything is rosy though'

Not everything is rosy though. During PDI last Monday, it was discovered that one of the front control arms was installed up side down and the extra pressure cracked one of the suspension level sensor. The part was ordered immediately and flew in Wednesday and installed. Quite shocking to learn that when they had over a week to validate the car in Stuttgart and no one noticed the error in all the production stations after. But it was kind of expected to expect something will be wrong when the car is hand built.
I don't think there is any excuse for this 'error'. Compared to most automobiles produced in mass today, 991's are hand-built too! And these kind of errors should never be 'expected' from Porsche or any other high-end automotive manufacturer, especially at this price-point! So your local dealership's top mechanic, who luckily has been specially trained by PCNA in anticipation of the 918's arrival, had the responsibility in PDI to second-guess Zuffenhausen's assembly at the most basic level - control arms upside down? Something is very wrong here...and PAG needs to correct their quality control functions & standards at Zuffenhausen ASAP or the entire 918 program will get an enormous 'black eye' in very short order!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 11-20-2014, 11:49 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't think there is any excuse for this 'error'. Compared to most automobiles produced in mass today, 991's are hand-built too! And these kind of errors should never be 'expected' from Porsche or any other high-end automotive manufacturer, especially at this price-point! So your local dealership's top mechanic, who luckily has been specially trained by PCNA in anticipation of the 918's arrival, had the responsibility in PDI to second-guess Zuffenhausen's assembly at the most basic level - control arms upside down? Something is very wrong here...and PAG needs to correct their quality control functions & standards at Zuffenhausen ASAP or the entire 918 program will get an enormous 'black eye' in very short order!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

i agree. this seems somewhat insane for something of this calibre?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I am pretty sure that Porsche will action on this 'discovery'. This is not the only site I had posted this fact, and Porsche do monitor online forums, so they had already 'know', especially when I was informed of this 'fact', the CEO of Porsche Canada was standing not 2 feet from me and I was his worst nightmare for the longest time.

My car is already one of the most delayed car in their pipeline, mine was the one that had experienced every single Porsche delays, even when it has already been delivered.

Well, let me get you guys in on another fact, during PDI they had discovered that one of my headlamps had a 'scatch', so Porsche is replacing it on their dime, and the number I heard for a unit is no cheap at all.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE

Haha, you are 3 posts too late to state that.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations on your very special newest addition, Whoopsy! The car looks absolutely stunning, and the photos you've posted are achingly beautiful. Just wondering if you wouldn't mind commenting on the feel of the bucket seats, now that you've had some seat time. I'm hoping you find them comfortable enough for daily use, including not being too difficult to get in and out of. Thanks for a great set of posts. Enjoy in good health, and I hope the delays fade quickly from memory now that your 918 is here!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I am pretty sure that Porsche will action on this 'discovery'. This is not the only site I had posted this fact, and Porsche do monitor online forums, so they had already 'know', especially when I was informed of this 'fact', the CEO of Porsche Canada was standing not 2 feet from me and I was his worst nightmare for the longest time.

My car is already one of the most delayed car in their pipeline, mine was the one that had experienced every single Porsche delays, even when it has already been delivered.

Well, let me get you guys in on another fact, during PDI they had discovered that one of my headlamps had a 'scatch', so Porsche is replacing it on their dime, and the number I heard for a unit is no cheap at all.
Thanks to guys like you - we are all better off.

Factories are now being held to a higher standard with social media.

I think mistakes happens - it's how they are addressed and it's apparent besides the manual being listed on e-bay which is mind boggling the factory and dealer are willing to move towards perfection.

Quick Reply: My 918 or at least a report of it