Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

swb3,
you have a PM, mate...
Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 AM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One clarification on my previous post, as indicated here it may have been that the engine was not up to operating temperature if he had selected Hot Lap.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by heynow
@nuvolari612 well good thing the 918's battery is easily replaceable.
That's true - and there will be many more mechanics that will understand battery tech vs engine.

Key factor will be the weight and setting up the car.

The difference between the three super car choices Porsche is the only one that can adapt.

Cayenne in 2015 will have a plug in - things are changing ATM's will be replaced with charging stations
Old 10-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The 918 motor cannot survive without the hybrid system. It was designed without any power takeoffs, every pump are driven by electric only. It also has pathetic low end pull as all the power are tuned to stay up stairs, not very useable on itself for street use.

The 960 might get the Cayenne/Panamera V8 or a V6. Chances of them developing another V8 just for the 960 is slim to none.
These seem fixable issues. Porsche is a master at leverage existing design to create high performance solutions with minimal cost. Remember that the 918 motor doesn't stand alone, but is instead part of the F1 > CGT > RS Spyder > 918 > 919 Hybrid evolution. Within this family Porsche was able to make a huge range of high performance configurations based on shared basic 90 degree architecture, head geometry, etc. With this in mind I see no reason to believe that family can't evolve slightly further, addressing issues like low end tractability or ancillary drive without breaking the bank or creating an "all new" engine. If they so choose...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a Porsche guy and would pick the 918 over the P1 as well. But the P1, at least in a drag race environment as expected given the hp/weight rations, is simply the faster car. Why is that so hard accept? Who cares that it is faster? Would that really matter if you had the money to buy one? It's funny to read comments where people try to find excuses why one is faster than the other or accuse car magazines of taking sides.

Last edited by JEI-Porsche; 10-14-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
These seem fixable issues. Porsche is a master at leverage existing design to create high performance solutions with minimal cost. Remember that the 918 motor doesn't stand alone, but is instead part of the F1 > CGT > RS Spyder > 918 > 919 Hybrid evolution. Within this family Porsche was able to make a huge range of high performance configurations based on shared basic 90 degree architecture, head geometry, etc. With this in mind I see no reason to believe that family can't evolve slightly further, addressing issues like low end tractability or ancillary drive without breaking the bank or creating an "all new" engine. If they so choose...

Actually the CGT V10 is a 68 degree FYI.

Just because they are all 90 degree Vs means exactly nothing. American V8s are all 90 degree too.

918 does stand alone, just like the RS Spyder V8, the CGT V10 and the F1's old V6 Turbo all stands alone. There is nothing common among them apart from they all spin a crank shaft.

Porsche said they had based the 918 V8 on the RS Sypder, but they ended up recasting a different block with a different capacity, pistons, head design, removed all power takeoffs, etc, only thing common was the flat plane design.

I know a lot of people are hoping to see that V8 in a normal car, but it's not going to happen, ever. I had already asked a few Porsche execs during my visits to the factory. That engine alone is worth more than a lot of expansive cars, and with it being hand built there just isn't any capacity for mass production.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
But notice how many of the massively souped up Lambos use their own natural brakes to stop and most of the American cars use parachutes? It goes to the single minded nature of the contest which produces cars that are perhaps fun to watch in a drag race, but not much else...
NHRA tracks require parachutes for any vehicle that will hit 150MPH. So the Lambos are just slow...
Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
918 does stand alone, just like the RS Spyder V8, the CGT V10 and the F1's old V6 Turbo all stands alone. There is nothing common among them apart from they all spin a crank shaft.
The evolution between most of these motors has actually be fairly well documented. An engine doesn't need to share major parts, certainly not the block, to share the majority of the engineering and architecture. I think you're saying "all the parts are different", and I'm saying "yes, but the engines are still closely unrelated".

The evolution from F1 V10 > LMP2000 > Carrera GT was nicely written up in July's Pano. Getting from the LMP2000 project in 2000 to the RS Sypder's V8 is trickier, largely because of the secrecy around the LMP2000's demise. However the MR6 popped up five years later with a nearly identical bore and layout, minus 2 cylinders and a wider V. From the RS Spyder not only does Porsche claim lineage to the 918 and keep the same architecture, but bore and bore spacing were maintained as the engine grew from 3.4 liters to 4.6, allowing for the same tooling to be used. The fact that nearly every part number changed in this evolution is relatively easy- changing dimensions in CAD is an order of magnitude easier than working CFD, combustion chamber design, oiling, tooling, etc from scratch.

The final jump, essentially cutting the RS Sypder's V8 in half for the 919 hybrid, was noted in Race Car Engineering as Porsche's starting point for the new engine. Sure the block and other bits change dramatically, but if you've got a high performance cylinder/ head package, why re-invent the wheel?

Could the 918 motor be adapted to a 960? Sure. Could something else, say a V8 Cayanne? Absolutely, and in fact I know the guy that adapted that engine to win Daytona, so it's got plenty of potential. He changed virtually the whole thing in the process, however. For the 960 application, I can easily guess which engine he'd rather start from, but time will tell.

Last edited by Petevb; 10-15-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz
2. No more naturally aspirated engines

Using the 918 as an example (because I have one ordered), it won't bother me one bit that my 918 will be outperformed by some $300-400k car made by Porsche, Ferrari, or Mclaren in the next 5 to 10 years. Why? Because none of them will have a NA engine in any of them! Ferrari has already announced they will turbo charged their V8 starting from the new California T, Mclaren is already turbo charging and Porsche will certain continue their turbo engines, even in their 960.
I would not bet on the NA engine going the way of the Dodo in this application just yet. Large normally aspirated without hybrid are about the be extinct, I'll give you that. However normally aspirated with hybrid, while more expensive turbocharging, is arguably the best technology for an efficient hypercar, with no drawbacks in terms of weight or fuel efficiency when done correctly. Witness Toyota's TS040 V8, clearly the quicker car with the same fuel allotment at LeMans this year against Porsche's 919 Turbo 4. In fact normally aspirated motors still have the highest peak efficiencies (ie Toyota Prius) and power to weight ratios (ie Atom V8) of any street legal gasoline engines. Turbos have significant advantages in part throttle efficiency and cost which will make them the go-to for the majority of non-hybrid sports cars, but for a hybrid hyparcar neither of these is critical. Thus I think we'll hear NA engines scream in this particular application a little longer.

More discussion of the efficiency issue here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11704112
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

more proof i dont need cars or bikes like this, i rarely go over 120mph on the roads i drive, and i never go on the freeway too, so over 120 is useless to me.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy the bike and save a million lol
Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 874 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I would not bet on the NA engine going the way of the Dodo in this application just yet. Large normally aspirated without hybrid are about the be extinct, I'll give you that. However normally aspirated with hybrid, while more expensive turbocharging, is arguably the best technology for an efficient hypercar, with no drawbacks in terms of weight or fuel efficiency when done correctly. Witness Toyota's TS040 V8, clearly the quicker car with the same fuel allotment at LeMans this year against Porsche's 919 Turbo 4. In fact normally aspirated motors still have the highest peak efficiencies (ie Toyota Prius) and power to weight ratios (ie Atom V8) of any street legal gasoline engines. Turbos have significant advantages in part throttle efficiency and cost which will make them the go-to for the majority of non-hybrid sports cars, but for a hybrid hyparcar neither of these is critical. Thus I think we'll hear NA engines scream in this particular application a little longer.

More discussion of the efficiency issue here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11704112
In my previous statement, I was referring specifically to brands like Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari, which we all know, will not have any normally aspirated engines for their junior supercars in the future. Ferrari will continue to keep their V-12 for their flagship cars, but it will be a GT model, not the mid-engine layout. The new Porsche 988 will be turbocharged and so will all of Mclaren's upcoming models. As to whether the new Acura NSX and other similar cars will contain N/A engines, I'm sure we will see a few N/A hybrid combinations but they will not be hyper cars.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Well the autoccar full test of the 918 has come out and as I predicted after driving both cars up to 180 the cars are about the same ( if anything the 918 is faster ), 918 is faster in gear , has a more responsive engine , stops better and was faster on track . All that on one set of tyres with a single technician that simply looked at the tyres , put his hands on them and shrugged .
typical Porsche

Again how fast or slow a car feels is very different to how fast or slow a car actually IS

Last edited by wtdoom; 10-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 874 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Well the autoccar full test of the 918 has come out and as I predicted after driving both cars up to 180 the cars are about the same ( if anything the 918 is faster ), 918 is faster in gear , has a more responsive engine , stops better and was faster on track . All that on one set of tyres with a single technician that simply looked at the tyres , put his hands on them and shrugged .
typical Porsche

Again how fast or slow a car feels is very different to how fast or slow a car actually IS
I agree 100%! That's why I put down a deposit and waiting for one! July 2015 can't come any quicker........
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by unotaz
I agree 100%! That's why I put down a deposit and waiting for one! July 2015 can't come any quicker........
Congratulations , it's worth the wait . I'll letbyounknow how mine is in a couple of week s!

Quick Reply: 918 vs P1 vs Duc