Who's at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
I liken this post to an analogy of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo. Verstappen is probably faster than Ricciardo, but doesn't think ahead 2 steps and is worried about the moment. At the end of the day, Max has either lost positions because of a 1st lap mistake that cost him time in the pits or a DNF and Ricciardo has picked and chosen his time and moves wisely to make significant progress and has the long game in mind.
This is a thinking person's game, for sure!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because one has been overtaken does not relieve one of the responsibility of keeping yourself and others safe.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FGL28
Just because one has been overtaken does not relieve one of the responsibility of keeping yourself and others safe.
If ALL competitors felt this way and took this advice to heart, Passers and Passees alike, this wouldn't be a problem...

Still think racing is a sport of supreme personal responsibility. One of the reasons why it's such a great challenge, and so rewarding.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Yep
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If ALL competitors felt this way and took this advice to heart, Passers and Passees alike, this wouldn't be a problem...

Still think racing is a sport of supreme personal responsibility. One of the reasons why it's such a great challenge, and so rewarding.
If all racers behaved in this manner, then it wouldn't be racing, and thus the fire would die
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
If all racers behaved in this manner, then it wouldn't be racing, and thus the fire would die
Yep
Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hah!

It's a fine line. Which is why it's not a slam-dunk and 17000+ views accumulate.

Brian Redman called successful racing "controlled aggression." Brilliant!

And I've seen you do it. VERY successfully, I might add.

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-06-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Updated view count
Old 08-06-2017, 09:39 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not often one leaves the country only to return to a thread still going strong. Bravo Rennlisters.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
It's not often one leaves the country only to return to a thread still going strong. Bravo Rennlisters.
To give some sense of closure, I'd like to thank everyone for the input and advice. A lot of food for thought in this thread.

I admit that I could have been more patient and prudent with the timing of the pass and that I have a lot of work to do on my strategy and race-craft. I'll also repeat here that I share a large part of the blame/fault for the contact with the other car.

Having said that, the passing rules as they stand are still confusing and contradictory which is why I started the other thread/poll. I hope a discussion about them develops without the noise of accusations, drama, and innuendo.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In bold.

I'm disappointed that many of the comments assigning some culpability to the 944 reinforce the idea that overtaken cars need to move out of the way to avoid contact with an overly aggressive passing car and driver.

That's just bull****. A rationalization for those incapable of making prudent decisions to pass.

My friend was trying to make it clear that I was not to be trusted to do the right thing, which made me reexamine what I was doing out there. It helped me realize that everyone has responsibilities out there and you shouldn't have to cover for someone else's stupidity.

The mixed class discussion is a separate deal entirely and worthy of other threads.
I agree with you Peter. again and again, ive said that the overtaking car has to be good enough to pass in all situations. when he is not, this is what happens (could have been worse). its like any sport, predicting, risk assessment and then action , is part of the craft. blaming another driver for not being aware, is like blaming him for not being able to control his car. these are driver capabilities that need to be learned and performed. again, thats why he was (the back marker) being lapped

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Overtaken cars do NOT need to move out of the way.

That said, in THIS SPECIFIC INSTANCE, both drivers share blame, and it's sad his wasn't just a rub out. I suspect that the OP's previous behavior and existing 13 played a part in that...and rightly so. He was a menace.
i diagree. there is NO shared blame for the 944. he was unaware and thats a part of his performance package that all passing him should be aware . ive been taken out by a back marker, and i don think you have.... it's not fun and very expensive, however, in my situation, he was aware but lost control of his car after a point by. that is something you cant control.... however, had he not see me, i would have been planning on that, and if i hit him for a chop or other, i would only blame myself.
Originally Posted by good hands
you see, these threads can runaway, without my help!

Originally Posted by hf1
To give some sense of closure, I'd like to thank everyone for the input and advice. A lot of food for thought in this thread.

I admit that I could have been more patient and prudent with the timing of the pass and that I have a lot of work to do on my strategy and race-craft. I'll also repeat here that I share a large part of the blame/fault for the contact with the other car.

Having said that, the passing rules as they stand are still confusing and contradictory which is why I started the other thread/poll. I hope a discussion about them develops without the noise of accusations, drama, and innuendo.
I think you are more than able to make the right move next time, i think the only thing you would need to do is have a more solid plan "B". in that case, it would have been dirt tracking a bit(also risky) , but if you can handle it and its straight enough , it would be safe. in this case that would have been risky. you can also have lights on to make the driver aware of your approach, or plan your pass a little earlier. Its all good discussion. no wrong answers, i just disagree that the lesser car and driver , not doing something intentional or loosing car control can be blamed at all. but that's my opinion. You can call him a "jerk" or "slow" or "incompetent" but there is no requirement for those qualities on your race entry form.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

If you are being genuine (which I think you are), congrats on making the first step toward a more productive discussion and ultimately a better place for yourself as well!

As far as the rules, I don't disagree that a simple one sentence about overlap could be added that was proposed in the other thread (and not a word more to avoid complicating things), HOWEVER, the same people that take advantage of current rules (or have a hard time following them - I'm not beating YOU up here as everyone makes mistakes) will find a way to take advantage of a new one or make poor decisions regardless.

PS, I don't see the addition as a change to the current rule, but rather a clarity enhancement.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:24 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't worry, never happen. Too many racers are too ******* arrogant and know more than everybody else. The fire is within yourself so if the fire goes out it is your fault.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I thought you guys might need a little break after 24 pages:
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I thought you guys might need a little break after 24 pages:
Weathertech sponsored? Looking at those outfits I would have thought Camel.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

We should close this thread on that pleasant note!!

Quick Reply: Who's at fault?