Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PCA always this crass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm confused... i thought there is no liability on the track....

what kind of car is that $250k car ?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

LOL

that "owner of the track" would have been called out at the SOLO guys meeting where I run...Niagara PCA...quite the bull$hit asshattery of him not to point you by, and if he is not comfortable in his Radical with guys 6 inches off his bumper he should not be out there---or run with the novice group if he doesn't want to scare his passengers...tool...parade laps are at lunchtime, correct?

I've run SM many times with Radical School and Ron Fellows schools and never had a problem...but then again the "owner" never flew his private chopper in those days
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

This type of behavior by the track owners was seen at LCMT perhaps 5 or 6 years ago.

IIRC, When the was faced with the prospects of loosing business, this behavior changed. BUT it took a concerted effort by a number of clubs.

Ray
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,906 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
he had no contact with anyone while we were on track, so the Black flag came from the Stewards. The talking to the POV driver got was without any intervening from John.
If so, please go to 21:25 and explain the CI's comments about the owner complaining. Something is amiss ...
Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
This type of behavior by the track owners was seen at LCMT perhaps 5 or 6 years ago.

IIRC, When the was faced with the prospects of loosing business, this behavior changed. BUT it took a concerted effort by a number of clubs.

Ray
Stroll, correct?
Didn't they close down the track to HPDE members when Lance would fly in to do a few hot laps, or is that just an old wives tale?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:35 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Yep. He would land his helicopter - which is interesting to those on track - was quite distracted by it at least once. He could and would go out whenever he wanted at whatever pace - kinda 'interesting' for a full race-prepped car to be out in green at speed. He was convinced to go out in Black / Red, and then there was the situation where a nicely built and driven 935 provided a nice serving of humble pie to him...

Ray
Old 09-29-2017, 05:14 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

Drivers in DE are responsible for their own cars damage regardless of fault. So the track workers comments are wrong in a number of ways.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If so, please go to 21:25 and explain the CI's comments about the owner complaining. Something is amiss ...
I was referring to the steward, first video from 19:38 to 21:00.

The second conversation with the driver of POV was from the PCA person I think? This was a spliced in video from a later time.

I can only attest to what happened during the time on the track and right after being on the track. See how the video is spliced together at about 21:15 the car goes from being on the track to magically in the pit. I have no idea when that second spliced in video was taken and further more, I am not going to speculate on any thing that happened after my time there on the track.

I will say that it is a great track and I am getting packed to be there all weekend. Feel free to come say hello
Old 09-29-2017, 06:19 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Drivers in DE are responsible for their own cars damage regardless of fault. So the track workers comments are wrong in a number of ways.
Clubracing = yes. DE = I wouldn't be so sure about that. DE is not racing, its driver education. Apples and oranges.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trader247
Thank you. I have a 2016 M20 FC coming. I have seen the dark side , You and Savyboy are a bit to blame, j/k, kinda
SWEET & Congrats! A fine car. Hopefully we'll find ourselves together at Thunderhill and we can have a grand time chasing each other!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,752 Posts

After watching the entire session video, I think that must have been a hell of a lot of fun. The owner was faster in most parts of the track and the POV driver was faster coming into the slow corners.

I'm not entirely convinced that the owner brake checked him at all. POV car got a great launch out of the last corner and came up on him real quick. Owner stabs brakes, but only on them briefly and moves right. Someone else here speculated that the owner saw POV about to hit his transmission and moved right. that's completely false. Every lap, whether the POV car is behind him or not, he takes the same line and hugs the T1 corner -- because he can in a lower weight and aero car as opposed to the POV car which I'm speculating is a PDK GT3 or GT3RS.

Also I think there's something going on with the owner not wanting to be too close to cars in front. I'm speculating, but I think it's because he's in an open cockpit car and gets rocks and rubber shot at him while trailing. Look at the amount of space he leaves when he comes up on cars and can't immediately pass. Could be another reason why he didn't give the point by to the POV car as they were running similar lap times.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
After watching the entire session video, I think that must have been a hell of a lot of fun. The owner was faster in most parts of the track and the POV driver was faster coming into the slow corners.

Also I think there's something going on with the owner not wanting to be too close to cars in front. I'm speculating, but I think it's because he's in an open cockpit car and gets rocks and rubber shot at him while trailing. Look at the amount of space he leaves when he comes up on cars and can't immediately pass. Could be another reason why he didn't give the point by to the POV car as they were running similar lap times.
Anything is possible, but when you see a car appear on your bumper (repeatedly), he's faster. Car/Driver/Moonphase, it really doesn't matter why.

In a DE, the courteous approach is to give the pass and not impede - even if you ARE in fact faster in another section of track. Why the ego to stay ahead IN A DE?

And lo and behold, effecting a pass, the trailing car that was 'running the same overall laptime as me' invariably heads off into the sunset within the lap.

And if not, well, then you get the favor returned and get to re-pass if and when you catch back up. Isn't that part of the fun?

Cheers

Matt
Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Anything is possible, but when you see a car appear on your bumper (repeatedly), he's faster. Car/Driver/Moonphase, it really doesn't matter why.

In a DE, the courteous approach is to give the pass and not impede - even if you ARE in fact faster in another section of track. Why the ego to stay ahead IN A DE?

And lo and behold, effecting a pass, the trailing car that was 'running the same overall laptime as me' invariably heads off into the sunset within the lap.

And if not, well, then you get the favor returned and get to re-pass if and when you catch back up. Isn't that part of the fun?

Cheers

Matt
Exactly.
The courteous thing to do is to give a reach around.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr

Ray
Many years ago I experienced this firsthand on two separate occasions:

1) We were told at the drivers' meeting that if we saw a red vintage GTO in our mirrors we were to POINT HIM BY--no ifs, ands or buts about it. I did, and I did, which was actually pretty cool as the car was amazing in every way

2) As the 30 or so cars in our run group were lined up waiting to go out on track on a steamy summer day an SUV loaded with passengers decided to go out and do a number of parade laps--guess who was driving?

Gary
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Cheers

Matt
Had a great time doing this very thing @ WGI Wednesday with a fellow Mini--he had a decided HP advantage (his S vs my non-S) but I could catch him up in many of the turns....and so it went for most of the day. From the discussions we had after the runs I'm sure we both learned something, and had a blast doing so.

Gary (like Matt, a "snowback")

Quick Reply: Is PCA always this crass?