Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mexican F1 Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Lewis just HAD to make a comment about the T3 incident at the start of the race saying "I gave him plenty of room." I think when he goes back and reviews what was going on there, he will hopefully realize he's dead wrong about VET. Frankly, HAM just should have taken it easy there to seal up the WDC.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Poor Max dominated and hardly got any coverage during the race. It was all about Hamilton and Vettel.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Poor Max dominated and hardly got any coverage during the race.
He was busy trying to get across the finish line before his engine gave out, much to the chagrin of his engineer.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:01 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Lewis just HAD to make a comment about the T3 incident at the start of the race saying "I gave him plenty of room." I think when he goes back and reviews what was going on there, he will hopefully realize he's dead wrong about VET. Frankly, HAM just should have taken it easy there to seal up the WDC.
It sure looked to me like a hole opened up and a position was there for the taking. I thought HAM drove through there cleanly and left enough room.

Was it not Senna who said something about if you see a gap and don't take advantage of same you are no longer a race car driver??
Old 10-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
It sure looked to me like a hole opened up and a position was there for the taking. I thought HAM drove through there cleanly and left enough room.

Was it not Senna who said something about if you see a gap and don't take advantage of same you are no longer a race car driver??
I think it was a reasonable move to go for the gap but since all he needed to do was finish 5th to seal the WDC, I don't think it was advised. Perfectly fine to go for that gap. VET had BOT to his right so they were basically 3 wide in that corner. VET had no more 'room' to leave HAM. That's my only point. Did he really think VET would intentionally try to take him out and harm his car in the process? Makes no sense. LEW even went on the team radio and made a comment about VET's driving at T3. The incident was reviewed soon after and dismissed as quickly.

I think LEW is just being a spoiled brat and upset that he couldn't secure the WDC with a win. For God's sake he's a 4-time WDC,....show some class.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But he did win the WDC. But as my F1 buddy said Hammy did a move I would not have. This year was different as Vettel treated Hammy as a contemporary. But it took a whole team to win. Bottas has improved from being with Mercedes. Hammy has improved as well.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Max will be pissed he missed out on pole and drive like a demon. Nothing to lose.

Lewis better steer clear if he wants to wrap up his WDC in Mexico.
I guess Lewis didn't read my comments on RL before the race started. I tried to warn him!

I know Hamilton just won the WDC but there was a certain degree of doooshiness about him not caring about the interview and then running back to the pits.

Opening laps were exciting, last couple of laps when Lewis obviously didn't care and banged Alonso off the track, were exciting, everything in between was a little bit of snoozefest.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

Max is looking good value for $3m/yr. Suspect his next contract renewal will be a more interesting discussion.

You have to wonder what the season would've looked like without all the stupid non-racing penalities...

Too bad Hartley's engine let him down. He looked set to earn points. Hope he gets picked up next season.

Last edited by Nizer; 10-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:04 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes i was Senna who said “as a racing driver when you see gap if you dont go for it, you are not a racing driver!” Verbatim from the Senna Movie.

I thought of the same thing watching Hamilton going for the gap.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Why wasn't Hami climbing through the field the way Vettel was? Skills?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Mercedes didn't have pace. Look how Max pulled on Bottas.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah, Mercedes just didn't have "it" this weekend. Not sure if the engines were turned down a little to protect them (see also, almost all Renault engines not Max) or if Max's new engine is THAT good but Merc just didn't have it. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if LH's move on lap 1 had been successful. I'm not sure he could have stayed in front of Max, who couldn't help but go fast. "Max, that was the same lap time." "Sorry!"
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Yeah, Mercedes just didn't have "it" this weekend. Not sure if the engines were turned down a little to protect them (see also, almost all Renault engines not Max) or if Max's new engine is THAT good but Merc just didn't have it. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if LH's move on lap 1 had been successful. I'm not sure he could have stayed in front of Max, who couldn't help but go fast. "Max, that was the same lap time." "Sorry!"
That was the quote of the race no doubt.

I wonder if Max's engine was different than all the other Renaults that failed?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I wonder if Max's engine was different than all the other Renaults that failed?
I think so. I thought they said Max had an upgraded engine and RIC didn't, but then RIC got the upgraded engine after Q which is why he had a 20 spot grid penalty. RIC's then failed but, if I remember correctly, in a different less flame-shootey way than the other Renault failures.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:23 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I am a max fan but have to ask this question:

Once the race was well under way and we saw the Renault engines starting to fail do you think Mercedes asked Bottas to back off as they wanted Max to win without feeling threatened and having to risk his engine (and thus prevent a chance on 2nd place for Vettel? )

I was really surprised that bottas couldn't close the gap especially when the RB team was doing their best to slow down Max to keep the engine alive...
If I would have been in Toto's spot I would have made the call for Bottas to back off and let Max drive in peace.

Quick Reply: Mexican F1 Race