Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
If your rear brake pads wear out faster than your front pads, then you are guilty of this. If your rear brakes overheat, you are guilty of this.

I saw an instructor at COTA replacing his rear pads on his GT4 on Sunday morning. Front pads like new, left rear pad half worn, right rear pad completely gone.
I tried to explain this to him, but he KNEW the problem was that he was braking too hard and not accelerating enough in the turns.
Unfortunately, there are some students being taught that by him...
Considering that GT4 brake pad wear is 2 fronts for 1 rear there has to be more to this story.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

I think the hardest thing to learn at any level is to look beyond the nose of your car. By that I mean looking at flag stands, looking at track ahead for issues, and most importantly keeping an eye on mirrors to ensure not holding anyone up. It’s quite a mental task to control your car and be mindful of your surroundings. Once you are competent at knowing your surroundings it makes the days much easier, as you can control where you pass people and where faster cars can safely pass you.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I think the hardest thing to learn at any level is to look beyond the nose of your car. By that I mean looking at flag stands, looking at track ahead for issues, and most importantly keeping an eye on mirrors to ensure not holding anyone up. It’s quite a mental task to control your car and be mindful of your surroundings. Once you are competent at knowing your surroundings it makes the days much easier, as you can control where you pass people and where faster cars can safely pass you.
Good post!

The struggle is not only "eyes up and further down the road" but also to keep your eyes moving.

Like you say, the development of situational awareness, being "mindful of your surroundings" is key not only to your success, but the successful negotiation of both working through slower traffic and accommodating faster traffic getting by.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Yes the Keep Your Eyes Moving is a huge concept and is critical
Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good post!

The struggle is not only "eyes up and further down the road" but also to keep your eyes moving.

Like you say, the development of situational awareness, being "mindful of your surroundings" is key not only to your success, but the successful negotiation of both working through slower traffic and accommodating faster traffic getting by.
If you're driving a low-hp car in advanced run groups as I am, this is not an option; it's necessary for your survival

At the same time, it's really cool to negotiate a wet track by looking ahead and letting your butt tell you what the car's doing so your instincts developed over years of driving take over--very rewarding.

Gary
Old 12-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Truth!
Old 12-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

Number 1- They now are now solo trying to catch other cars thinking driving faster has to mean I am driving better . They end up turning in early. The worst part is they dont try an correct mis corner run out of road on the exit and then.................Yank it back on track. Most of the time that leads to 90 degrees into what ever is on the inside of the track .

Sorry guys I am just a pestamist

Oh and intermediate drivers dont feel bad this is also "1" way my advanced/instructor clients crash
Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Number 1- They now are now solo trying to catch other cars thinking driving faster has to mean I am driving better . They end up turning in early. The worst part is they dont try an correct mis corner run out of road on the exit and then.................Yank it back on track. Most of the time that leads to 90 degrees into what ever is on the inside of the track .

Sorry guys I am just a pestamist

Oh and intermediate drivers dont feel bad this is also "1" way my advanced/instructor clients crash
No, you're not a pessimist, you're a realist! You also have the data. Incident reports...
Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Number 1- They now are now solo trying to catch other cars thinking driving faster has to mean I am driving better . They end up turning in early. The worst part is they dont try an correct mis corner run out of road on the exit and then...
OK I have to call time-out on this gross generalization. Heck, isn't Skip Barber's motto "Going Faster", I think it's even the title of one of the most famous racing books out there. Turning quicker lap times (driving faster) without incident IS driving better, especially if electronic nannies aren't being triggered. I appreciate that there are numerous techniques that, we as drivers, need to master and these can take years to perfect. To generalize that newly solo drivers are somehow overly reckless or unskilled frankly, if true, says more about their instructors than the drivers. It may come as a surprise to you that over 50% of the on-track incidents that are reported to the DE safety chiefs occur in the Instructor groups!! I have no doubt that some newly solo drivers may overdrive their cars, fail to make correct adjustments and then go off, however I posit that this behavior is not exclusive to newly solo'ed drivers!!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
OK I have to call time-out on this gross generalization. Heck, isn't Skip Barber's motto "Going Faster", I think it's even the title of one of the most famous racing books out there. Turning quicker lap times (driving faster) without incident IS driving better, especially if electronic nannies aren't being triggered. I appreciate that there are numerous techniques that, we as drivers, need to master and these can take years to perfect. To generalize that newly solo drivers are somehow overly reckless or unskilled frankly, if true, says more about their instructors than the drivers. It may come as a surprise to you that over 50% of the on-track incidents that are reported to the DE safety chiefs occur in the Instructor groups!! I have no doubt that some newly solo drivers may overdrive their cars, fail to make correct adjustments and then go off, however I posit that this behavior is not exclusive to newly solo'ed drivers!!
Dude - the thread is about common mistakes. Red mist and overdriving is a common mistake. Doesn't mean every one does it but of the mistakes that new drivers make this would be a common one.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Dude - the thread is about common mistakes. Red mist and overdriving is a common mistake. Doesn't mean every one does it but of the mistakes that new drivers make this would be a common one.
Fair enough, the post appeared to focus on solo drivers. I believe the correct term the poster should have used, if I understand your point, is newly SIGNED OFF drivers (I.e., beginner and intermediate INSTRUCTED drivers signed off to ride without an instructor). I make a distinction between signed off drivers and solo drivers (usually intermediate advanced drivers). Semantics I know but an important distinction, at least for me. Didn't mean to rant. Oh and I agree, 'red mist' is a common mistake.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Not enough car control, afraid to feel the car move around underneath them so they never approach the limits.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Considering that GT4 brake pad wear is 2 fronts for 1 rear there has to be more to this story.
Might have left PSM on so PTV was working resulting in the rear pad wear.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

1. Driving really fast on the streets and highways on your way to the track....just wait, you'll be on the track soon.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

We left ESC/TC on in the Cayman GT4 MR at the 25 Hours this year (w/ DOT Toyo tires). Never had any problems with brakes in the race as far as I knew (we swapped rotors/pads on all 4 corners once, and at the same time.. after around 14 hours I think) and we had a pretty wide spectrum of driving style and pace in the car. But we did overheat the gearbox (I did a stint in auto -- it wasn't fun.). We tried running the car with it all off, but it didn't really make any difference. If we had full slicks I'd imagine we'd have run with it off...

And to add to the topic of conversation, I agree "looking ahead" is an issue that all drivers at all levels have. The difference is the "Pros" automatically remind themselves to keep looking ahead and us slower guys sometimes realize it after we get out of the car and try to fix it for the next run. Things happen slower the farther you look ahead. If you find yourself overwhelmed, it's a good chance you're not looking far enough ahead -- this is literally and figuratively. i.e.; you obviously have to look farther in front of your car than rite over your hood 99.9% of the time -- but you also need to be confident in what everyone else around you (in front, behind, and on the sides) is planning to do but hasn't done yet. The farther you look ahead, the easier all this becomes and the more time you have to react (defend/attack/yield).

IMO only of course.

-mike

Quick Reply: The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.