Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

After coaching enough students that I see a trend developing I have the following thoughts for those that are newer or intermediate drivers. Maybe even some advanced drivers can gain from this, I know I have been guilty of #1 on occasion. I am ignoring braking here as some people just don't want to brake as hard as they could, or whatever, it would be it's own topic 5x this long anyways.

1. Maintenance throttle is not always the answer - in fact it seldom is: Some glaring examples of getting this wrong are T1, 11, 12, 20 at COTA. Like was discussed in the coasting thread. You REALLY need to get the car rotated on these corners so you can get back to full throttle sooner. Maintenance throttle just makes the corner take forever and makes you think you have the wheel turned as much as the car will hold when you don't. Somewhere you can use maintenance throttle would be say T6b at cota where you are just trying to keep some speed up the slight hill.
2. Never move your hands. Start practicing this on the street, hands at 9-3 and don't shuffle steer, let go of the wheel to finish turns, or anything but 9-3.
3. Make sure that as the car slows down to enter a corner you ADD more steering. I see a lot of people turn in and that's it, their hands never move again, you need to get the wheel turned a tiny bit more as you approach the apex and scrub speed so that you can start unwinding it sooner.
4. UNWIND THE WHEEL! Here is a big one, we will drive past the apex and then boom full throttle, because we are now tracking out right? Well the wheel still hasn't moved so the TC kicks in and nothing happens. This tip follows getting 3 right, but as soon as you are (roughly) past the apex, start adding throttle and unwinding the wheel together, you can't just expect the rear tires to hold more G forces just because the apex is behind us if nothing else changed.
5. TYPICALLY the fastest line will feel right and smooth. If you had a previous instructor tell you a different line, or you saw one in a video, and you get conflicting advice, try them both and see how they feel. (this assumes you are not yet at the point of looking at data).
6. Start finding places to go full throttle. Everywhere, every extra foot of full throttle adds up.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read Ross Bentley's book Speed Secrets before you get to the track
Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Read Ross Bentley's book Speed Secrets before you get to the track
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

7. Not buying their instructors beer.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Driving the car like your on the street not the track. Race track speed and lines are not street lines and speeds. Get mentally prepared to "race" the car corner to corner in smooth lines. Smooth is fast.
Novice drivers tend to brake way to early and not look through the turn

A few of my observations over the years.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

showing up in a Lotus
Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
showing up in a Lotus
Unless you're really fast...
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
After coaching enough students that I see a trend developing I have the following thoughts for those that are newer or intermediate drivers. Maybe even some advanced drivers can gain from this, I know I have been guilty of #1 on occasion. I am ignoring braking here as some people just don't want to brake as hard as they could, or whatever, it would be it's own topic 5x this long anyways.

1. Maintenance throttle is not always the answer - in fact it seldom is: Some glaring examples of getting this wrong are T1, 11, 12, 20 at COTA. Like was discussed in the coasting thread. You REALLY need to get the car rotated on these corners so you can get back to full throttle sooner. Maintenance throttle just makes the corner take forever and makes you think you have the wheel turned as much as the car will hold when you don't. Somewhere you can use maintenance throttle would be say T6b at cota where you are just trying to keep some speed up the slight hill.
2. Never move your hands. Start practicing this on the street, hands at 9-3 and don't shuffle steer, let go of the wheel to finish turns, or anything but 9-3.
3. Make sure that as the car slows down to enter a corner you ADD more steering. I see a lot of people turn in and that's it, their hands never move again, you need to get the wheel turned a tiny bit more as you approach the apex and scrub speed so that you can start unwinding it sooner.
4. UNWIND THE WHEEL! Here is a big one, we will drive past the apex and then boom full throttle, because we are now tracking out right? Well the wheel still hasn't moved so the TC kicks in and nothing happens. This tip follows getting 3 right, but as soon as you are (roughly) past the apex, start adding throttle and unwinding the wheel together, you can't just expect the rear tires to hold more G forces just because the apex is behind us if nothing else changed.
5. TYPICALLY the fastest line will feel right and smooth. If you had a previous instructor tell you a different line, or you saw one in a video, and you get conflicting advice, try them both and see how they feel. (this assumes you are not yet at the point of looking at data).
6. Start finding places to go full throttle. Everywhere, every extra foot of full throttle adds up.
Those are good ones! especially as you get more more experience.

Things I've used that have stuck , where years later folks i have helped have come back and told me they have appreciated and still think about that advice.

1. Braking straight to slow or set the car before turning.
2. Thinking that the steering wheel is on an imaginary cable tied to the rear end and the gas pedal
3. shifting at near or at redline and keeping the engine in the max HP range
4. a couple of the points you made above, especially stopping shuffle steering.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

showing up in a Lotus
I hear you are moving to another region next year to avoid a certain lotus.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

showing up in a Lotus
Or a McLaren, if you don't have a spare. And even then...maybe bring a third car in order to complete the weekend...
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

After 7 years of this stuff I still do not look far enough ahead.

As you mention, hustle between the corners.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:47 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I think one of the top three mistakes of new drivers is not keeping their eyes up a/k/a driving the nose of the car.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

As you mention, hustle between the corners.
A classic example of this is the zone between turn in for COTA 7 and the brake zone for 8. Way too many people maintenance throttle this big chunk of real estate instead of hustling.

Also between 4 all the way through 6. And from 13-15.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:11 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think one of the top three mistakes of new drivers is not keeping their eyes up a/k/a driving the nose of the car.
To build on this, I'd say not explicitly checking flag stations as they pass. Keeping them in peripheral vision is not good enough. Especially for blind turns or other places where vision is obscured. I remind my students about the location of flag stations and teach them to look, in hopes that it will become second nature.

And of course also looking ahead for other cars or possible hazards.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
we will drive past the apex and then boom full throttle, because we are now tracking out right? Well the wheel still hasn't moved so the TC kicks in and nothing happens. This tip follows getting 3 right, but as soon as you are (roughly) past the apex, start adding throttle and unwinding the wheel together, you can't just expect the rear tires to hold more G forces just because the apex is behind us if nothing else changed....
If your rear brake pads wear out faster than your front pads, then you are guilty of this. If your rear brakes overheat, you are guilty of this.

I saw an instructor at COTA replacing his rear pads on his GT4 on Sunday morning. Front pads like new, left rear pad half worn, right rear pad completely gone.
I tried to explain this to him, but he KNEW the problem was that he was braking too hard and not accelerating enough in the turns.
Unfortunately, there are some students being taught that by him...

Quick Reply: The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.