Sponsored by:

-1 degree camber for a Roval?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -1 degree camber for a Roval?

I have heard that some road racers will change their camber for road race tracks that include a long NASCAR bank.
The concern is too much negative camber creating a hot spot on the tire. In fact last year a tire rep said he thought a 911 that hit the wall at Fontana may have had too much negative camber and overheated a tire.

I have two races back to back this spring on the NASCAR banked roval. I was told to run only -1 degree camber on the outside tires.

Does that sound right to you?

I would of thought it would be the inside tires that would require
-1 degree camber?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if it's a true oval, with NO road course in the infield during the race...run what some of the stock car guys do...~ -1deg on the left and -3 to -6 deg on the right.

BUT, I have no idea what kind of car you are using, etc. (hint-hint)

I run once a year at Lowe's Motor Speedway and leave my camber settings alone, setup for most road courses and I'm okay, but the tires do get a break with the infield section and the fact that only one side of the full oval is used.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Thanks Jeff. My car is a 69 RS bodied 911/3.2 2200lb with Victoracers.
Car pics here.
You basically answered my question that on true oval cars the outside tires (tars ) are run with more negative camber than the inside tires.

The track in question is Fontana. Track diagram here.
It is run counter clockwise with T1 and T2 being the NASCAR bank at the end of the long straight.

Your points are well taken regarding some infield tire cooling. The track has 5 right hand turns. It was also suggested that if I did run only -1 degree camber on the left side and the normal right side setting of -3 front and -2.8 rear as you mentioned above,,,my lap times might slow 1 second but my inside tires through the banking would not wear prematurely.

Sound about right?
I know a tire pyrometer would answer some of these questions.
I've never driven a car with less camber on one side, any ideas how terrible a car is going to handle with this compromise?
Old 12-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Just another thought on the camber compromise.
It would seem to be the greatest gain to set a car up for the 130mph+
bank and perhaps slightly compromise 5 slow right hand turns?

Now useing that advantage at the end of the straight with a very small breath at 130+ and passing in the bank is going to be exciting!
Old 12-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Howard
Racer

Ted,

At Fontana last year I left my camber settings the same as the setup for WSIR, -3 front -2.5 rear . I ran Hoosiers with no problems, tire temps were relatively even across the patch. It's important to note that Fontana is only banked 12-14 degrees. When you come out of the infield up onto the banking the transition is quite long, to avoid the abrupt change from flat to the banked oval. You will reach start/finish (which is the front straight), then the left hander, to exit , again on the back straight in preparation for the hard 90 degree left hand corner turning into the infield. Much more time is spent on the infield, and if you setup your car for the oval, your lap times will suffer. The track surface at Fontana is also very easy on tires, I ran 1 set of Hooisers for 3 consecutive days, at WSIR those tires would have been toast.
Check with Kuhmo, but I would vote for running your normal camber settings at Fontana.

See you at the track !
Old 12-26-2003, 01:26 AM
kary993
Drifting

I agree with Howard on the settings. I ran my normal camber settings at Fontana over the past 2 years and had no issue. I ran Hoosiers the first year and Pirelli slicks the second with issue. Wear was fine as was the performance.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, good...didn't know that Fontana has an infield section...guessing that's what you meant by "Roval" then?? Didn't catch that at first.

Back to my original statement then, regarding what I do for Lowes - nothing.

BTW, I won the NASA time trials there in August, with my "road course" suspension settings. (with my 964)

Have fun, I love running the Rovals.

Quick Reply: -1 degree camber for a Roval?