0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Azerbaijan F1 Race - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, that had me screaming at the television when they showed him weaving down the straight. It was clear he wasn't going to stop blocking under breaking. Flashbacks to 2016 with Kimi.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,887 Likes on 2,229 Posts

Can't say I 'enjoyed' the race, but it certainly held my attention. The drivers similarly seemed like they were mentally spent at the end, but didn't have a lot of fun - even Lewis had a 'WTF am I doing up here?' look. I'll go out on a limb and opine that, while Max is certainly crazy, the bang up at the end was more Danny's fault - I didn't see a legit gap on the left side, even if Max moved a little while braking.

ESPN coverage is getting better, but they're not there yet.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:04 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun race to watch. I’m a Ferrari fan so sad to see Seb finish where he did, but awesome to see Kimi continuing to get strong finishes while Ferrari is clearly favoring Seb. I wonder if that would change if Kimi is suddenly ahead in points with Seb making mistakes.

Personally, I’m getting a bit tired of Max. Every single race he has hit somebody or caused an accident. I’m all for passing and excitement, but at some point either the team or FIA needs to step in. It’s his 3rd year - the whole argument of I’m new is well done.

And Grosjean should be banned from the series after today...
Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll go out on a limb and opine that, while Max is certainly crazy, the bang up at the end was more Danny's fault - I didn't see a legit gap on the left side, even if Max moved a little while braking. .

Danny went back to the inside once Max went right....
Old 04-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by multi21
Danny went back to the inside once Max went right....
I can't disagree with your application of the reg. I'm just not sure that Danny had enough room on the left even if Max hadn't moved. Seems like a high-risk move on Danny's part, and it obviously didn't work out.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Given car trajectories before Max changed trajectory the third time (which is really all that matters. He picked a line then another one to block and then another to reblock) RIC had room and I bolster that opinion with the fact that RIC went for it and I trust his judgment. Statements from Horner are just PR damage control.

If the same guy keeps ending up with a damaged car eventually you have to start staring really hard at that guy instead of looking really hard at anything that isn't that guy.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I can't disagree with your application of the reg. I'm just not sure that Danny had enough room on the left even if Max hadn't moved. Seems like a high-risk move on Danny's part, and it obviously didn't work out.
Not only should Max be penalized for the next race for making two moves instead of the one allowed, but I swear it almost looked like he ‘brake checked’ Ricciardo. The telemetry would show it, and if he did RB should be super pissed!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:50 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Given car trajectories before Max changed trajectory the third time (which is really all that matters. He picked a line then another one to block and then another to reblock) RIC had room and I bolster that opinion with the fact that RIC went for it and I trust his judgment. Statements from Horner are just PR damage control.

If the same guy keeps ending up with a damaged car eventually you have to start staring really hard at that guy instead of looking really hard at anything that isn't that guy.
Agreed. Add to that the fact that DR had a faster car all day and Max used multiple dumbass moves to try and keep his position. It’s a wonder he didn’t take them both out much earlier.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Reading the rules it doesn't say "but if it is a tiny move that makes it OK." Max moved twice and that is the end of the story.

Additionally, all the drivers know you are taking a big chance when trying to pass Max because there is a good chance he is going to crash you out of the race. Max had at least one incident before the crash where Ricciardo backed out because he just turned into him. True, you don't need to let someone pass you but I think Max is a blocker and dirty racer and it helps him to win.

Max needs to grow up if he ever wants to fulfill his destiny to become a WC driver, or at least learn how to drive a little more like Schumacher if he is going to be that aggressive.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:33 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

This was predictable. MV will not win world championships until he learns to respect other drivers. What an idiot
Old 04-29-2018, 06:38 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Awesome race
Old 04-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 921 Posts

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...crash-1031835/
Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Not only should Max be penalized for the next race for making two moves instead of the one allowed, but I swear it almost looked like he ‘brake checked’ Ricciardo. The telemetry would show it, and if he did RB should be super pissed!
I think that's an optical illusion and not a brake check. Once VER moved back over to the left, it took the down force of RIC car, coupled with RIC locking up, the close in rate was much higher than normal. Still, given the "reprimand" by the FIA to both drivers, it's hard to back a decision to not penalize Max given he clearly broke the rule and they acknowledge he moved twice. It's pretty simple, if he doesn't move twice, the accident doesn't happen.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been really sick of MV for a while now.

1) I get the impression that his attitude is "How dare there are other people driving on my track" and that nothing is ever his fault
2) I believe he was immediately favored over DR even though DR proved himself quite worthy by besting SV when the two were teammates
3) Even though MV did turn out to be better than Sainz when they were at Torro Rosso, I was never convinced that he was was special like Hamilton or Alonso by his performances
4) I'm always suspicious of giving a really young driver (or just plain rookie driver) top-tier equipment for the very reasons that we're seeing today
5) I know he's been considered one of the great natural talents, but I'm not sure how much of that extra speed he finds over one lap or one corner is simply his willingness to be an idiot and wad the car up. Rhetorical question: How many other drivers could do what MV does if they were simply more reckless and does that make him more talent or foolhardy or both?

I hated Senna for this type of nonsense, I despised Schumacher when he pulled this ****, and nothing has changed. With all this in mind, I don't understand why more severe penalties have not been handed down (both now and prior to this event). You don't want to subdue the racing but there's a difference between addressing a menace and policing racing incidents.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Seems reasonable to me, but I'm just a spectator who enjoys fireworks.

Quick Reply: Azerbaijan F1 Race - Who Will Win?