Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

That's about what my front camber is IIRC. I run mine at 37 PSI hot all around. I did 3 sessions at Gateway, and I've run them on several other tracks. In my experience, it's easy to brutalize your front tires in the T5-6 combo and also on the banking.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
That's about what my front camber is IIRC. I run mine at 37 PSI hot all around. I did 3 sessions at Gateway, and I've run them on several other tracks. In my experience, it's easy to brutalize your front tires in the T5-6 combo and also on the banking.
I think my problem is probably NASCAR 3 and 4 (the oval) and T7. T6 is a right hander and my left tires look not bad, not even close to the right. The heat doesn't help either. Last time it was 95 ambient, probably way more on track and tomorrow it's not going to be any better, so good test.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGeorge
I think my problem is probably NASCAR 3 and 4 (the oval) and T7.
The oval was repaved last year with the latest IndyCar magic super sticky stuff. The Indy cars were running faster and with much less tire wear. The same with our DE drivers. Unless you're really overdriving, and that would be pretty ballsy, I'd be surprised if it's the oval that's causing your wear - is the car pushing, loose or stable through NASCAR 3 & 4?

If your line is sloppy through T7 (i.e., coming in too early or staying inside and then powering around) you can easily tear up your outside R side tires in a day with your camber settings.

I agree with the others that have pegged driving style as the culprit.

BTW, a GT4 has the same front suspension adjustability as a GT3. Adding shims will get you to -3.0. It's the rear that is limited by a too short oem toe link. Easily and (relatively) inexpensively fixed with an aftermarket adjustable link (e.g., TPC's offset toe link). Add in the DSC box and it's heaven.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:01 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
The oval was repaved last year with the latest IndyCar magic super sticky stuff. The Indy cars were running faster and with much less tire wear. The same with our DE drivers. Unless you're really overdriving, and that would be pretty ballsy, I'd be surprised if it's the oval that's causing your wear - is the car pushing, loose or stable through NASCAR 3 & 4?

If your line is sloppy through T7 (i.e., coming in too early or staying inside and then powering around) you can easily tear up your outside R side tires in a day with your camber settings.

I agree with the others that have pegged driving style as the culprit.

BTW, a GT4 has the same front suspension adjustability as a GT3. Adding shims will get you to -3.0. It's the rear that is limited by a too short oem toe link. Easily and (relatively) inexpensively fixed with an aftermarket adjustable link (e.g., TPC's offset toe link). Add in the DSC box and it's heaven.
It's stable through NASCAR 3 & 4. I'm at about 5200 RPM max on 4th gear. Can't tell speed, cause I don't have the ***** to check I would estimate about 85 mph. I've taken it to the tires starting to squeal a couple of times with an instructor in the car, but usually try to stay below that, especially when I'm solo.

I'll try to watch T7 more tomorrow at the PDX. I used to take it wide, but now I'm at about 2/3s, after driving with Bernie. It seemed like a better line.

And yes, I'm pretty limited as far as camber goes with this suspension and car, but I think I should be able to go through tires much more efficiently. I don't believe I am going as fast as others who use their tires much longer, so I'll have to work on my turning skills with tire management in mind.

Thanks, Dan.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a quick bit of feedback from my track day with these tires.

Did a B group run with Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill yesterday, with warm/hot ambient temps (into the mid 90's by the afternoon sessions), breezy wind, and once I had the pressures dialed in, the tires were fantastic. I've got a Panamera GTS, so no lightweight of a vehicle, and once I had the car set into the corner it was planted. The tires gave good feedback, and I could feel what they were doing underneath. Initially I had the pressures a bit too high, and as they warmed up, they seemed to have a bit of a slippery feeling. But a quick adjustment down for the next session and they were solid. Good wear rates, good feel, good feedback, I couldn't be happier with them. Ended up around 33.5 in the front and 35 in the rear (hot).

They even seem quieter and have a greater feel just driving around town, over potholes, etc.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot sport 4S