Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humidity in trailers (UGH mold!) - Damprid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Humidity in trailers (UGH mold!) - Damprid?

Hi,

I have not made a race this year though I signed up for a few. Too busy taking care of my wife who has been having cancer treatment for several years.

I checked on my neglected '73 911 last weekend which I store in a 24" enclosed trailer and found mold on the dash, seats, etc. In CT, we had a few weeks recently with rain every day, very humid and some water got in the top vent and onto the car. Side vents were closed, I opened those and closed the top vent a bit. I cleaned up the mold but want to prevent it.

I have a dehumidifier in my enclosed garage after having a TERRIBLE mold problem due to opening the garage door when it was warm and humid, and getting condensation on everything inside the cool garage. 911 and Viper got ugly, I even had mold on the inside of the cabinets and on my factory 911 service manuals. But tough to get a dehumidifier in the trailer.

Someone told me to use Damprid, I got the large bucket type and I think it should be enough to keep the trailer pretty dry.
I put it on the floor of the 911 with windows opened a few inches.

Any feedback / experience / recommendation with this situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by analogmike; 08-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your wife. I'd buy some type of Hygrometer and check the RH levels in the trailer to see how low you can get it. Desiccant's do a good job of absorbing moisture but they can only absorb so much and then they need to be replaced. I don't know much about damprid but I've used a lot of drierite and silca gels.

Phil
Old 08-29-2018, 12:54 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If im not mistaken damp rid can be placed in the oven. Dehydrated and used again.

hope it helps solve it.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Very sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through, Mike ..

Re: humidity, I've also been concerned this summer about the humidity in the NE. I put a dehumidifier in the garage this year, and have been thinking about what to do for my RV. I hadn't heard of the kind mentioned above. I'm considering a smaller dehumidier since an RV or trailer are similar size to an average room in a house (link below).

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Mike,

As always may God bless Ayako on her treatment.

Various things you can try. Being in FLA I know a bit about humidity. They sell a 'rod" which is a 110 dehumidifier. I used one with the Damprid "hanging bags"on my 69 S with pretty good results. On my trailer i installed a solar fan on the roof vent to keep air moving. Those fans don't really last long but they are inexpensive. Problem is, you must create a cross flow, so I was leaving the power cord door on the floor of the trailer open and put chicken wire to keep varmint out.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:18 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Mike
So sorry for your struggles
Some years back I returned from a summer away to find that the very rainy summer at home and my under-ventilated basement garage resulted in a smelly 911. Ugh
Cleaning, ventilation, and sunshine cured the mold.
Now that we are in Maine full time, my trailer is my garage, so I leave a dehumidifier running (drained through the floor) full time (thanks Beantown KMan).
It's surprising how little it actually has to run with the humidistat set at 45.
Maybe you can find room for a dehumidifier in the trailer for when it is parked?
The other ideas presented to you are also good. We used the absorptive materials on the cruising sailboat and now the camping trailer (both offseason). I ought to stick some in the trailer just in case.
Hope this helps and our best wishes for you and your wife.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Mike - you are missed in the Speedsport paddock! Hope your wife gets better soon.

I had a similar problem with my trailer and did two things to fix it:

First, I made sure no water was entering the trailer even with a really bad rain storm.

Second, I noticed a big difference when I parked the trailer in the shade versus the sun. You might try keeping it in the sun and leaving the top vent open when it doesn't rain. That will dry it out in no time! I didn't have to resort to using damp rid.

I also washed it down with a mix of water and white vinegar to kill the mold and wash it all out. Fingers crossed - no problems since.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:22 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies.

I will put my dual temp/humidity meter in there, with one sensor stuck in the car, to check the humidity levels.
I saw the damprid "hanging bags", one of those in the car and the big bucket in the trailer might be a good move.
A fan on the top vent is a great idea, I will look into that too but my yard is all shade. When I went to check on the 911, I found that
a big double tree fell behind the trailer, blocking the access path to the trailer. Need to get that taken care of before I can even move the trailer.

THANKS!!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike,
Sorry to hear about your wife and wish her a speedy recovery.
The combination of dehumidifier and DampRid should do the job. I use that combo in a storage room at my home in FL and can't believe how much moisture the combo pulls out of the air. The DampRid deep pan that holds the crystals is filled in about 30 days.

Good luck!!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used the damprid canisters in my cars and camper, and I haven't had any mold issues. In FL, I have to empty the water and refill the desiccant almost weekly. Amazing how much water accumulates. I've tried the RV canister you don't have to refill and discard every 6 months, and the refillable type. I can help but think the refillable types are more effective, given how much water I dump out in 6 months.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:06 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,
prayers out to your wife. It is a real battle.

dont forget about checking up on car in trailer frequently and have a plan to spot treat outlaw break outs.

i forgot have fun playing with the chain saw to promote moving the trailer.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

The Damprid I got does not seem to be doing much. I have the one that you leave the cover on, pictured above. I put it in the car with one window open about 5", the trailer humidity was about 85% and 88% inside the car ;(

I only see a little discoloration where the crystals melted from drawing in humidity.

I think I will try the refillable type that David mentioned before I get some LONG extension cords. But it's getting cold already so I'm probably ok till next summer.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...18?recordNum=4

used this type on boats for years. worked like a champ in a smaller space.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Posting findings here in case this comes up on a google search or something...

Damprid is totally useless.

I got another type with refillable crystals, and it does nothing either. Crystals are still dry in both.

I ran a few extension cords out and put a dehumidifier in the trailer, with the drain tube going down to the ground and that does the trick perfectly, while circulating air too.
Side benefit is I can easily recharge the 911, trailer, and ATV batteries

thanks!
Old 12-21-2023, 11:36 AM
tylor12111
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you are looking for dehumidifier. check the guide. Read Here

Quick Reply: Humidity in trailers (UGH mold!) - Damprid?